F1 Clutch Job | FerrariChat

F1 Clutch Job

Discussion in '360/430' started by Andrie, Jul 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I'm planning to do my own clutch job this winter. Currently collecting information and parts. Anyone done one willing to share the invoice so I can see the part listing required?

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

3. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    It doesn't get much easier than this...

4. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    Are certain SD3 measurements needed to reset the engagement point and other aspects of the clutch after an F1 clutch change?

Also, is the stock flywheel typically resurfaced by a standard machine shop? Or is it either left as is or replaced entirely?

5. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Thanks for the package listing, Daniel@Ricambi. I do already acquired the clutch, so I just need the rest of the part. Thanks for the help and I will definitely acquire the parts from you when the time comes.

6. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    Clutch kit and release bearing plus seals kit, machine flywheel or replace , I recommend and replace the F1 reader while your in there or else your taken everything apart again , also need the PIS reading before and reset again after new clutch install and you,ll need to reset new clutch value and then bleed the F1 and e diff value with snanner ,hope you have a Leonardo or a SD3

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Awesome if you can do this yourself you can save big $$.

[I just paid $9000+ for a clutch job (with new fly wheel and "sensor"). Sad but true (at a ferrari dealer).]

8. Jsoderbe

Jsoderbe Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Sweden/Florida
    Hi, not to steal the thread, but how many hours of labor is normally quoted for the clutch replacement?

Regards,

Johan

9. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Friend of mine who used to work at Ferrari of San Francisco said about 14 hours, but can be faster.

Cost wise, parts will be about $3K
    I'm also buying Auto Enginuity to set the clutch parameters. $3,500
    Total Cost without labor is $6.5K

I just love working on my own car and get to learn a thing or two.

10. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Andrie,
    Can you please give a review of Auto Enginuity when you get it? Even better, if you can, when you replace the clutch can you do a DIY using Auto Enginuity and setting all the required parameters? That would be pretty awesome.

Thanks!

11. precision360cs

precision360cs Karting

Jul 31, 2012
    COCONUT CREEK FL
    Full Name:
    adrian Farinato
    +1

12. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    This is all still in planning stage. I'll definitely update when the time comes.

13. NSXturbo

NSXturbo Rookie

Jul 14, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Todd N.
    Hey Andrie,

I did my own F430 clutch then flat bedded it to an independent repair facility to set the PIS.

Saved myself thousands. I just ordered the Autoenginuity diagnositic package to do some F1 troubleshooting after getting some bad info on what the F1 problem was from an independent Ferrari service facility.(Could have cost me over $10000 if I took their advice, but instead just cost me just an unnecessary actuator rebuild.) I was not happy. And decided not to have to take repair advice blindly again!

I'd probably be willing to lease it out to you when you are ready to replace your clutch.

It would help offset some of my outlay and help out a fellow owner brave enough to tackle their own work! Just a thought, let me know when you get closer.

Todd

14. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    Anything in particular you want to know? I've had the autoenginuity software for a while now.

John

15. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi

Thanks, Steelej, i'll PM you.

16. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Todd, you still have your NSX? When did you start owning NSX? I had NSX from 1999-2002.

I might take you up on the lease thing. I'll message you on that.

17. NSXturbo

NSXturbo Rookie

Jul 14, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Todd N.
    Hey Andrie,

I thought I recognized your name as a fellow, well now former, NSX owner. I do still have mine, over 20 years now. Far from stock though, fully built and turbocharged, much lighter with more power and acceleration the my 2006 F430 Spider, but not even close in sound and beauty.

Absolutely message me anytime, hopefully by the time your ready to do the clutch, btw not that tough of a task, I'll have a good grasp on the use of the Autoenginuity piece.

Sure wish I could find a source for the complete F430 shop manual with the F1 Power Unit, Actuator and Sensors sections complete, instead of "being prepared."

18. cclassics

cclassics Rookie

Jun 21, 2016
    Langley
    im considering a AE unit as well- i generally do all my own work and just had a independent shop do a clutch on my f430 .. so far not happy as apparently clutch was 89% worn by their sd3 reading and when i mic'd the new clutch from ricambi with the original there was only a .035" difference..
    doesnt seem like thats 89% worn to me..

now the new clutch has more issues that the old one- (car drove PERFECT) before except occassionally when downshift from 4 to 3 would hit N.. all upshifts were good.

now it has stalled about 10 times in first 4 days of new clutch and im told needs new potentiometer for shifter.. seems to me that this is what the problem was originally and i now spent 6500 for new clutch and sensor installed..

ill pm you about the "rental"

19. Jsoderbe

Jsoderbe Rookie

Aug 16, 2013
    Sweden/Florida
    Thanks guys,

I will also do it myself, with the help of a friend who has a lift. My shopping list will be:

Re-finish the flywheel
    Clutch position sensor
    Any gaskets or o-rings that can be accessed
    Disc and pressure plate

Any thoughts around the throw out bearing? To they wear on the F1 cars? On my Lambo they wore out and they were hideusly expensive....

cclassics, the "potentiometer for shifting" you mention, is that the clutch position sensor, or is it yet anoter sensor that need to be replaced?

I am getting more and more of the N hitting at downshift, especially from 4 to 3. Yesterday evening was a cold and rainy evening here in Sweden, and the gearbox actually had problems finding ANY gear. Feels like time to sort this out.

Regards,

Johan

20. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    #20 Andrie, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Johan,

From my research, yes you need to replace the throw out bearing. The choice seem to be using Hill Engineering Throw out bearing. Pilot bearing is cheap and should be changed as well.

I just took my car out last weekend, and had the same symptoms, downshift 4 to 3, on high rpm. Low rpm seem to be ok. I can't tackle the job until end of September, as I'm going on vacation for 3 weeks to Europe starting end of August.

If you don't mind, can you share your experience, and maybe take some pictures?

My Ferrari mechanic said, you don't need to disconnect the F1 hydraulic lines to avoid re-bleeding the system. You need to move the transmission back, drop it, and turn it sideways.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    #21 Andrie, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I obtained a 430 workshop manual on a disc from Italy, just search e bay. Shows gearbox removal, flywheel, clutch, bleeding f1 system- very good for about €15 by post

23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looks like the one i have is being prepared like yours

24. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    This is interesting, and I would like to hear about the potentiometer. I'm having exactly the same symptoms when downshift from 4 to 3, occasionally would hit N. Did you solved this problem?

25. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    andrie - how many miles you got on your F430? is this the first clutch replacement?