How is my old 430 vs new F12? | FerrariChat

How is my old 430 vs new F12?

Discussion in '360/430' started by CETH, Aug 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    Was fortunate enough to get a new F12 earlier this year. Always wanted a NA V12 and especially the F12 which has some 550 lines.
    I have now put some 5,000kms on it including Swiss & Italian Alps, route Napoleon and a track day in Italy. In short, a truly amazing machine (plenty of this in the F12 section).
    After a while - and with some trepidation - I got back into my "old" ('08) 430 Spider MT (now with some 45,000kms). To my surprise, I liked it more than before. The mechanical feel, the manual gearbox, the lightness etc etc. so, the F12 (which I love) has only enhanced the joy of the 430.
    Should I be forced to sell one, I'm not sure what I'd choose but I think I would keep my 430.... (Ok, also my first Ferrari)...
    Any similar experiences?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    Wow! What a combo....beautiful....not quite the same thing, but I have a 308QV and recently bought a 360 MT....It's obvious driving each car that they are part of the same family/heritage....and the 360 is awesome, but it made me appreciate the 308 even more for it's base-line rawness and go-cart like fun...the feel, the sound....even the smell :)

3. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    A little curious. What colour is your F430?

4. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    Rosso corsa

5. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I know exactly what you mean. I went from the 612 to the FF, but missed the mechanical, more unrefined nature of the 612. I purposefully went for the 430 as my next F-car. It seems to have more 'soul'. Also the FF has a bit too much power for travelling at legal speeds on normal roads. The 430 feels a bit more at home. I do miss the build quality of the FF.

Both hate traffic though.

6. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I recently got a beautiful 599, my first front engine 12 cyl since the Maranello. I love the car and its space and comfort but found it too heavy and "nosey".
    Last week I traded the 599 for a scuderia, as I realized the cs I had was my favorite all time ferrari and figured the scud would be even more or the same goodness. Wont have it for 10 days or so but looking forward to the lightness, raw energy and feel.

7. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    CETH,

Own an F12 and sold my F430 MT in 2015 (mistake). I agree with your assessment. I do love getting into my relatively old school 993TT after driving the F12 or any modern car. No driver's aids except ABS.

I haven't owned a 599, but definitely found my 612 to feel too heavy and nosey despite its 46/54 % weight distribution on paper. It really hit home after test driving an FF. Fortunately, the F12 is much improved in the handling dept.

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice cars mate, enjoy in good health. :)

9. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Nice and classy color on the F12, grey with cuoio interior.

10. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    My experience is similar, but in reverse. My 430 spider is my first Ferrari and my wife's 456GT our second. I love mine, but when I get in that front engine, V12 manual, it stirs something differently. I doubt I could chose one to get rid of if I had to.

11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I drove a 550 manual around 8 years ago. That car had a full Tubi exhaust and man! WOW!!

Was the most brutal exhaust note ever! Car was amazing. Red/tan in mint condition with just over 40,000 km on the clock.

The same guy I bought my car off was selling it, I think the asking price was $120K back then. A wonderful car and I was too scared to hold it flat in Gold Coast 'traffic'.

I will have to get myself a V12 one day.

12. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Sounds like having both mid V8 and front V12 is the way to go. Congratulations!

13. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Absolutely agree!

14. Jamarico

Jamarico Karting

Nov 30, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Yes....Since I bought the 599 four month ago I love the gated 360 even more. The way it smells, drives and looks is more spectacular as before. 599 and the 360 fit perfect together. But if I had to decide on one of them I would keep the 360.

15. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hmmmmm... Sounds interesting.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I believe either a manual or F1 would provide that sensation of a more analog and raw experience. I just got my 08 F430 this year and just love it. I was thinking I would consider a 458 but I really like this car. Time will tell.

17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Interesting thread.

I had a go in an F12, approaching a couple of years ago now, actually when at the Isle of Man TT 2015, on the Mountain Road section when no speed limits where in force and the road was one way.

Boy oh boy, it was fabulous machine when worked hard, driven on fast roads without speed limits the F12 is a rip snortingly ridiculously quick machine. I'd struggle to think of what could actually keep up with a well driven machine, very few cars infact, only the very latest supercars like the Mclaren 675LT perhaps...

I did however miss the 'raw' feelings you get in cars like the Challenge Stradale. No doubt about it though the speed is all there and relatively effortless too. Its just the sensation of speed is more refined and polished, its a car that totally flatters its driver. Its still thrilling though no matter what car you step into after driving it! Epic is the one world that springs to mind.

I love the F12, would love to see one that's been CS-ified. I.e. a few hundred kilo's stripped, carbon race seats and the like... That would be a truely scary creation!!!

-T

Stealthssfc likes this.
  18. jstar

jstar Karting

Aug 8, 2014
    up north
    Full Name:
    jstar
    I now have a 430 spyder MT, last car was a 550 maranello. I agree with the heavy more deliberate driving feel of the 550 vs the 430. Perhaps an apples to oranges comparison but both have a MT and similar hp, (ignoring for the moment the weight difference). I found the 430 to be a much lighter touch. Quick to respond and much easier to drive quickly in the city. Looks wise though..hands down 550

19. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    TDF?

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    True, it was a good effort but with only 110kg's saved, they just didn't try hard enough in my book. Im certain 200kg's is there for the taking!

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You will love the Scud.

I agree with the OP about the differences- they are really wonderful to feel and enjoy. To my mind, the F430 is the final variant of the mid engined Ferrari being a sports car- though with the 430 there are a lot of digital helpers on top of that sports car. The 458 and F12 represent Ferrari road cars becoming jr. supercars. Frankly, the F12 is a full fledged front engined supercar. I loved my 599 also but I recently traded out of it for an F12 and the 599 was kind of like a super car engine in a sports car chassis. The F12 is all supercar. I am absolutely befuddled with how amazing the F12 is. Yet, I still love driving my 430- and its stick shift "as the good Lord intended!" ;)