Has anyone ever fixed a broken Header Stud? | FerrariChat

Has anyone ever fixed a broken Header Stud?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eric C, Aug 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 Eric C, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I didn't notice until tonight, but I broke off 1 header stud while removing my stock headers last weekend. It's the stud farthest back from the engine, so I'll have a little bit of room to work.

Has anyone ever extracted this themselves? What method did you use? I've extracted plenty of intake bolts etc before, but never a header stud. I know that I'll need to tape the ports closed for sure before attempting it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  3. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's what I've used before. I didn't know if I needed to use a different method since it's in such a critical spot.

4. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    Honestly I would have it towed to a professional. EZ out, drilling, welding, etc, they all require a particular touch and skill. If you fail in your attempt it will become much harder for the next person.

5. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree unless you know how to do it and have done it before call the stud guy who can come to you, they have some good kit including spark erosion.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    part of doing this job is experience not the method. For example why did the stud break?
    do the other studs unscrew easy or hard? If the neighboring studs all unscrew with finger pressure the broken one is more likely to be easy. If they are tough to remove think about adding some heat and penetrating oil cyclically to put the odds in your favor of an easier removal. Sometimes a good rap with a center punch really helps loosen. Sometimes just a cut slot in the stud and a impact driver will do the job. Make sure you got good access. Things like that improve your odds of success.

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    All good advice.
    Another good one is MIG welding spot welds to the stud on top of each making a small mountain of welds to get vice grips on. Or tapping anti clockwise with a scriber or small center punch. Also there are some good extractors that when the right size small drill hole is made in the center of the stud a splined rod is hammered in which accepts a nut for extraction.

8. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    Tap and helicoil. It's done regularly, google it.

9. Turbotuner20v

Mar 18, 2014
    Huh?

10. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    For this particular situation, I would use a helicoil.

Use a tap to drill to same size and then place a helicoil insert. Feel free to check it out online, fairly regular routine for these situations.

11. Turbotuner20v

Mar 18, 2014
    So when a stud breaks off in perfectly good threads the answer is to extract the stud by using a tap? And then replace the good threads with a helicoil insert?

Learn something new every day on the internet...

12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Is this from vibration or is it from just snaping.

Depends because id just drill anhole in that and use an extractor.

13. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't think there is enough land on the stud to mig anything to it.

14. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Never used a tap to drill out a broken stud? No need to helicoil if the stud is removed without damaging the thread in the head.

You would probably need a right angle drill to fit in the engine bay.

I have used left handed drill bits to help remove studs in the past as the rotation is the same as the thread to undue, well worth the investment. You should still get the pro to do it cheaper than removing the head if the drill wanders off you are in a world of pain.

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #15 mike32, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    A few of the methods above are going to get you in deep trouble. Looking at what is left of the stud you cannot weld bits on top of it , so as to grip it. If you just try to drill it you will go off line and damage the head.
    The best method is to drill it using a drill jig to ensure it is straight, then get hold of a SNAP ON parallel stud extractor.
    I will have to do you a drawing as it is difficult to explain, bear with me

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Wrong

17. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #17 Eric C, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Thanks for comments everyone.

I just went under the car to get another look at it. I took a small pointed scribe and hit the stud in a counter clock wise motion with a hammer (Not hard). It moved about a 1/4 of a turn. I'd say that's good news. At least I know that it's not seized!

I ordered a Air Drill, Extractor Set and Cobalt Right Hand Drill Set, Irwin Left Hand Drill Bit Set. Should all be here tomorrow.

Mike32 was nice enough to send me some instructions and recommended that I use a parallel extraction kit. This is the kit I'll be using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WQYJIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    There has been some ideas to use helicoils but he still has the original threads in good condition, plus you have to drill oversize to install an insert. You would want the head on the bench to do that correctly but it is not needed here.

19. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

totally agree. Id do my best to save the original threads. A helicoil is last resort in my opinion

20. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    From what I've read on here. This happens quite frequently to Scuds from the manifold flanges warping? I wonder if that's what happened to mine?

21. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Eric, just seen this. One of mine snapped this week when my shop was fitting Capristo headers and cats. I've sent you a PM about an idea to ensure your drill goes in central - essentially fabricating a guide from a piece of steel using the old exhaust gasket as a template.

Maybe Mike sent a similar thing or a better approach.

22. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
  23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That is commonly referred to as a drill jig. The drill bushings are off the shelf items sold by Carr Lane and McMaster Carr has them too. This would be easy to make but to design it would require a cylinder head drawing or a cylinder head to measure.

Sorry Eric - I don't have a 430 so I have nothing to measure.

24. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I use the old exhaust gasket as a template. It takes a bit of time to get right but it's easy enough to do at home.

25. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've scheduled for someone to come over tomorrow to take care of this for me. Wish me luck!