Difficulty locating new 18" tires | FerrariChat

Difficulty locating new 18" tires

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zanny1, Oct 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My '99 Modena has 10 and 11 year old tires on it. After reading through numerous posts here about tire choices, I elected to get Bridgestone Potenza RE11 replacements in the factory recommended 215/45R18 and 275/40R18 configuration.
    Local Discount Tire sourced them with 2011 and 2013 date codes. Calls to several on line tire sources located them.....no guarantee on date codes, but as one supplier said "if they are dated before 2013 you can return them for a refund". Others just said what you get is yours to keep.
    I'd prefer to stick to the original tire size for many reasons. Any fellow f'chatters that have run into this problem with the 1999 versions using 18" wheels?
    I will make a call to Bridgestone tomorrow and determine if the RE11 in the desired size is still in production..... this may be the reason for the 'old' tires still on the shelf.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Have you searched Tire Rack? I had RE11's on my 360. Good tire. I also think they've been superseded by the RE71's. I think the current preferred tire of choice around here is the Michelin pilot super sports MPSS. Lots of tire threads on here, do a search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Dunlop makes the Dunlop SP Sport MAXX 275-40r18

5. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    MPSS not available in OE size.

No fronts available.

6. hairman

hairman Karting

Nov 25, 2013
    south jersey
    Full Name:
    Dino
    BFG sport comp II, owned by Michelin made in USA and not a bad price.

7. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski

I have the same tire with approximately the same date code. Hate would be a kind term. They have absolutely zero grip. This is on the street and on the track. Pirelli just announced a new program for their PZero system. I placed a call to a couple Pirelli engineers I developed tires with in the past. I expect to here more from them this week. Their website has 360 sizes listed. Hopefully they are building them. I will let you know what I hear.

http://www.pzero.com/en-us/

Jeff

8. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Really. I put Hankooks on mine at what a thought was a reasonable price. They've been okay so far but I don't track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Can't you guys get Advan A050 soft awesome grip from cold start I use them in hillclimbs on my Challenge.

10. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Just curious. But what's your reason for not going with a slightly different size?

You could run the MPSS in 225/45R18 and 285/40R18.

11. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Tirerack as the Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (ultra-high performance all season)

12. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Recently I put MPSS - 235/40/18 & 275/40/18. All seems to be working fine. I did have the fenders rolled a few years ago because of my driveway entrance.

13. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #13 ferralc, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

+1

OP stated he has "many reasons to stick to original sizes", I believe he thinks he will have ABS issues, which he will if he doesn't stick to OEM ratio but 225/45 and 285/40 will work just fine.
    OP I suggest you read the "new tires" thread link posted earlier, we discussed all this months ago and you will find several options there, post 48 and later it is like the conclusion of the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

Same combination here and works just fine, rolled fenders too.
    I do not remember if you have OEM wheels because I have a slightly wider aftermarket front wheel

15. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Have you considered any 19" rims?

If you chose to go with 19" CS or Scud rims, the MPSS are readily available. Both are far superior in looks IMHO. Both are ferrari OEM. Best of both worlds.

16. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    This is of importance. The OE wheels are 7.5" wide. 235/40R18 calls for rims at least 8" wide. The only wheels that are 8" wide, are the Challenge wheels.

17. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes I had read the recommended posts and developed a list of alternatives. Sticking to original size was preferred for ABS reasons and fender clearance stories. I haven't rolled the fenders and haven't encountered fender clearance problems, yet. Would like to keep it that way.
    Checked on Michelin Pilot SS in 235/40R18 front and 225/45R18 rear. Discount Tire located the front tires but cannot locate the rears.
    Again, on-line suppliers do not know the date codes. Some will take a return if the tires are 3 years old or older (TireBuyer.com), some will not take return period (TireRack)..... it appears the only way to do this with some certainty about what you will get is through a local distributor. So at this time, I've got to do some more digging.
    Will post results when this project is done.

18. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have the optional Ferrari modular wheels on mine and when they installed they said everything looked good. The rears should be 275/40r/18 - that's standard. And discount tire has MPSS.

19. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

I got my set at discount tire and here is a tip for you, they matched the tire rack price AND they ordered the tires from them.
    Just so you know the rear tires (275/40R18) will have a BMW star because Michelin makes it for the M4.
    Supposedly there is a non star 275/40 somewhere but my guess is michelin stopped producing it, get the BMW one, trust me it works just fine.
    Maybe you will not have any problems with your front fenders with the 235/40 size but if you do rolling fenders is an easy task (easier than finding tires)

And I will not recommend the old OEM potenza, stick to the MPSS, it is a very heavy tire (and "older" technology)

20. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

And I believe the modular wheels are 7.5"?? So the only problem OP could face are the fenders.

21. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry.... my error. I wrote 225/45R18 (rear) in the post but meant the 275/40R18. And the local Discount Tire said they couldn't locate that size. Glad to hear that you located them.... means they are out there. I will try another supplier. Thanks.

22. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Why not just order the MPSS 275/40R18 here?

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

23. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Because the last set of tires I bought from Tire Rack were 3 years old when delivered.

24. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Anyone have experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus? They are available in the original size and speed rating. The Pilot SS tires are not available in the original front size - 215/45 R18. I would have to use 235/40 which is close, but not exact.
    Again, I'd like to retain the original size and not change the front tire width or height. My fenders are not rolled, and if it's worked this long I'd prefer to keep it that way.
    Thanks is advance for any comments.

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We have them on one of the cars. Tread rubber compound is harder and they last much longer but at a sacrifice of grip. That was exactly what I was looking for and they have been perfect. They would not be my first choice for a car I was looking for great grip. They are a good all weather tire but made compromises. If you are going to drive primarily in the dry I'd go for Bridgestones.