LED tail and turn light project. | FerrariChat

LED tail and turn light project.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Speedracer800, Nov 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    #1 Speedracer800, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I decided I would upgrade my exterior lights to LED. I really like the more modern look the LED bulbs bring to these cars.

A few weeks ago I bought a LED brake light kit from a seller on eBay, did the installation and was pretty disappointed with the results. The bulbs were really no brighter than my original bulbs.

So then I reached out to "Scuding" in Switzerland as I read many good reviews regarding their LED products for Ferrari. My new parts arrived on Friday and I made a project of it this weekend. SUPER FAST SHIPPING! They offer many different products to accomplish this in several different ways but I wanted to do this as cost effective as possible so I just opted for the LED bulbs for the turn / hazard lamps because they have a kit with the upgraded flasher module that takes care of the "rapid flash" problem that comes with changing out those bulbs to led. I also opted for their clear side turn signal indicators that mount on the front fenders as well as the amber LED bulbs for the front turn/hazard fixtures in the headlight assembly.

The difference is quite amazing! The quality of these bulbs when compared to the eBay parts is obvious the minute you see them. After being so disappointed with my first attempt to convert to LED, it was fantastic to see these are everything I expected and more!

Below are some photos of before and after as well as the eBay bulbs in comparison to Steph's bulbs. The amber bulb in the photos is the OEM front turn/hazard lamp. The entire process is pretty straightforward. The tail light fixtures are pretty easy to access through the hood and the flasher module is located in the passenger side footwell, on the right side above the battery. Their new flasher is cleverly designed with a little mounting tab and a velcro attachment which makes installation a breeze. The front turn lamp is just plug and play through the access panel in the inner fender liner. It's not even necessary to remove the tires to gain access. They really thought of everything in this kit and the entire job took an hour or so.. Highly recommended!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Did you get the 3rd brake LED, or any of the flashing modules??

3. redscuderia

redscuderia Rookie

Aug 20, 2015
    Lexington KY
    Full Name:
    Robert Salley
    Like you, I upgraded my exterior/interior lighting to LED for my 430 Sucderia. I went with Scuding. I did the tail lights, third brake light, front driving lights, engine bay lights, and interior lights. The directions were wonderful. Easy to instal for an idiot (me). The result is spectacular. Highly recommended !

4. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Didn't do the 3rd brake light.. It looks like it's led already..??

Yes.. There's a photo of the flasher module and I described the install in my original post just FYI. Super easy installation and great products.. Best of all they're a wonderful company! These guys really want you to get what YOU want..email Stef with questions and you'll get a reply very quickly and I don't think I've ever received a package from Europe as quickly as I did this stuff.

5. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Did you notice any difference in their 3rd brake light versus the OEM? How do you like the engine bay lighting? I'm considering that next.

6. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs

I meant did you get the BRAKE light flasher, that flashes when you are stopping to alert drivers behind you? If so, which one? He seems to have several options...

7. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Oh.. No, I didn't. I like the style he has with the sensor that only flashes if a "panic" stop is determined. I understand it uses sensor technology bases on Gforce or something like that? Pretty trick for an aftermarket part at this price point imo.

8. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Stef's parts rock. None better in my book.

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I too upgraded the lights on my 360 with Stef's LED set, including the 3rd LED brake light.

1,000% happy.

Stef also provides the best customer service if you ever have any question or issues with his products.

Highly recommended.

Dan

10. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    +1000

11. 360Kevin

360Kevin Rookie

Mar 24, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Do they sell a rear license plate led light? They seem to have 2 USA versions. One verision appears to have all four parking lights and the other version just two. Quality looks top notch I am seriously considering doing this to my 360 spider.

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Kevin, I think it would best to contact Stef directly via his website.

His customer service is top notch and Im sure he will reply to you as soon as he gets the opportunity.

Dan

13. 360Kevin

360Kevin Rookie

Mar 24, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Dan - I will contact Stef. Thanks!!

A question to those that changed to LED tail lights did you go with the original ligting option or the one where all four lights light up when braking? Just curious.

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome Kevin.

In my case, when I upgraded to LED tail lights from Stef I went with all tail lights light up when stepping on brakes. Looks great.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #15 whatheheck, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Kevin,

The license plate bulbs are simple 38mm / 1.5" Festoon bulb.
    Here's what I did to mine when I upgraded my license plate lights to LED's. Photos below.

Some notes:
    1) Some LED's are fairly dim, some are bright, some are very bright. It all depends on how you want it.

2) LED bulbs are polarized meaning they need to be connected to power and ground properly or they will not light up. So if you put in the bulb and the LED bulb does not emit light - simply reverse the orientation 180 degrees and it should work.

You can buy the 38mm festoon at good old Amazon. Here are some:

https://smile.amazon.com/uxcell-2x38mm-Festoon-Canbus-White/dp/B00FHMT5CK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1497405075&sr=8-5&keywords=38mm+festoon+led

https://smile.amazon.com/CCIYU-Interior-License-ForMercedes-interior/dp/B013OYG9NU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497405075&sr=8-3&keywords=38mm+festoon+led

16. 360Kevin

360Kevin Rookie

Mar 24, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks Dan

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome!

Dan

18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Looks really clean Dan. Thank you!

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You are welcome!

Sorry I was not able to meet up with you last Saturday at ERTC Ferrari Day.
    I was there but I wasn't sure which one is your car.

Will meet up once I get my F430.

All the best,

Dan

20. Rototiller

Rototiller Rookie

Jul 19, 2016
    Roseville
    what is the website where i can find these bulbs?

21. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
  22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go.

https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/

I have his LED tail lights set on my 360 Spider (now sold) and just ordered his LED tail light set including front DRL lights for my newly purchased F430 Spider.

He makes excellent products and his customer service is top notch.

Hope that helps.

Dan