Why Isn't There Much F1 to Gated Conversion? | FerrariChat

Why Isn't There Much F1 to Gated Conversion?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Drestless, Nov 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Been wondering this. Looks like a smart move to prevent any F1 woes (I have an F1).

Is the $$$ involved doing it holding you back? Also, who have done it already aside from a couple of 360 converts I see posted here in FerrariChat and ***********?

Seems to be a topic not beat up as much as other topics, like F1 versus gated. ;) This is not an F1 to gated versus topic to be clear. This is just wondering how much who converted out there and why not.

Cheers!

2. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    One word, ROI.

(Or, is that theee words?)

3. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Yes, that's three. :)

Thought about it as well; however, if any major F1 component breaks the cost for part and labor is almost like converting to gated. Plus, converting may give the owner a better sleep at night that the car won't get you stuck in the middle of the road just because a 10 amp brake fuse or a 40 amp F1 pump (not sure if 40 or 50) fuse failed. So embarassing, specially when the car dies in heavy foot traffic area. Happened to me. :(

Do you know how much total to convert? Parts and labor? I saw the conversion thread and it seems to be less than $15k which is not a lot of investment compared to selling your F1 to buy a gated that has an inflation difference of around $30k.

Thanks for more perspective!

4. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Because most F1 owners are happy with their cars so don't want to convert them? ;)

Whilst worrying about the F1 breaking and giving a big repair bill why not add variator failure, trans cooler failure, synchro's etc.....

The driving long with that feeling you have a grenade in the engine bay with the pin hanging out is part of the 'fun' of Ferrari ownership and the price of admission....

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I am laughing and wanting to frown at the same time.
    That's brilliant.

6. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    I was a hardcore F1 fan until F1 woes started to go hardcore on me. ;)

Don't get me wrong I love driving it but after two situations where it won't go in gear (F1 issues) in just three months I'm close to raising the white flag and explore alternatives.

This is why I'm looking for a consensus about this topic.

Yeah I know there are other potential Ferrari issues aside from F1; however, having one less thing to worry about would be nice. I still love my Ferrari, just looking at what the community see this topic (conversion from F1 to gated and not comparison) in plain sight.

7. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    +1

On the serious side, I'm hoping to gain more consensus about conversion. Because I know there's several F1 owners (though not admitting) who wanted to convert to gated as well.

Any maybe there's more who already did. :)

8. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I was about to convert my 360 when a deal came up for a manual 430 I couldn't resist. The day my mate drove off in my 360 a wrecked manual 360 appeared on our version of ebay. The car was perfect with damage down one side. It sold for 30k. I would have bought it in a heartbeat, flogged the manual parts and parted out the rest. In 4 years ownership F1 issues cost me 5k. I think if you factor in possible F1 issues and the extra clutch wear then the conversion would pay for itself over time.

9. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #9 Drestless, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Got it. So you wouldve done it if the wrecked gated came along sooner.

It makes sense if there's used parts from wrecked 360 instead of brand new is my take away from your message.

Plus if clutch work is due some parts of the clutch work overlaps with the conversion labor cost which can be a "might as well since we are in there already" type of situation. A big "might as well", but definitely saving some on the labor cost for the conversion.

If the stars align; wrecked gated or manual parts for $6k or less total like the ebay listing below which sold fast, clutch work due and some custom work already invested to current 360 F1 THEN it makes sense cost wise.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-360-Manual-Transmission-Conversion-Kit-F1-to-MT-6-RARE-/232118097238?hash=item360b511556:g:mU4AAOSwzaJYBl7h&rmvSB=true

Im still waiting for more whose interested on doing this and also, who already did. Come-on it will be our secret. :)

10. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO

That's one "big thing" you would not have to worry about! I've had my MT for around five years now. Never a worry. Not sure i'd attempt a conversation. I'd just look for one and buy it. Another question to ask the community would be. Would you buy a converted car?

11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yes I would have done it. I was trying to source all the parts but was having trouble doing it that way. If properly converted with all factory parts it should be worth more than an F1. I would have no issue buying a properly converted car.

12. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I also looked at converting a F430. Total parts and labor is about $25K.
    People talk about ROI ($$) or resale value, but they're missing the point. When you make this conversion it is done for YOUR pleasure at a time when you are able to enjoy it.
    Not for the next owner.
    For me the ROI would be the constant grin on my face with a 430 manual, converted or not.

13. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    My 360 is manual. Wish my F430 Spider was manual....

14. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Looks like it's hard to come through complete gated parts to start the conversion.

If I do it, I will use factory parts and have a reputable Ferrari indie shop to do it.

It may have been a no brainer topic but I just wanted to hear what other Ferrari people say because it wasn't discussed much when it's the elephant in the room.

15. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    $25k ouch! Yeah that's bit steep for just a conversion but it is worth for piece of mind and the gated feel.

I already have an estimated complete conversion cost with factory used parts, all fluids changed and clutch with TOB replaced for $15k from a reputable shop. I think this is really good price for the piece of mind, gated sound when going through gears and a bit higher resale value compared F1. Plus F1 issues got me stranded and embarrassed in the middle of the road twice already in just three months. A simple fuse caused it not to go in gear, this wouldn't be a situation if my Ferrari is gated.

Still tossing the idea but I think I will take the plunge soon.

16. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    I wish I have both of your car. Regardless if it's gated or not. :)

Can't beat view of two Ferraris in a garage.

17. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    F430 more expensive due to Ediff, ECU, Pump and additional hydraulic lines/fittings

18. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#18 LorenzoR, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just bought just about everything I need to convert a F430. From the shifter knob down thru the cables to the side cover for the gearbox. Clutch pedal, clutch slave cylinder (not pictured)and associated parts for it. I also have the actuator block that's for the F430 manual shift car, which I believe is tied into the e diff but I have to check into that further to see how that works. Heres a pic. So far the total is $5500. The instrument cluster goes to FIA>$500. I just need to work on the ECU part of this. Note: these are not my actual pics. I just googled these to show all I bought and have into this so far.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That is not too bad. You just need to be clear on the phrase "complete conversion" IMO. Do you get to keep the take off parts?

20. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Very nice. When are you going to start the conversion?

21. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Complete conversion means,
    1. Remove F1 parts and install gated parts
    2. Flash ECU to gated and tune too to increase HP.
    3. Program instrument cluster to gated
    4. Change transmission oil, brake fluid and engine oil.

Yes, I get all the F1 take-off parts.

22. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I don't know that it's worth it on a 360...but definitely intriguing for a f430.

23. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

im not really sure yet. Some help would be nice, plus I have a few more things to figure out. One of them is to look more closely before I start this at how that actuator block in my pic is hooked up. The other is id rather leave my ecus alone, buy two used ones and reflash them but that's not looking like ill be able to do that due to the immobilizer. I do have someone who has offered to reflash mine so I may just do that. I wish that dam immobilizer could be disabled but im not 100% sure what its total function is

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If/when it's me with a 599.. I'm going to do the pedals first. Then transition to the shifter.

25. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I have the pedals and I may do that first to. That 360 conversion thread is very helpful in all of this. The mechanics of this looks straight forward