Fabspeed headers: Coating vs. Blanket | FerrariChat

Fabspeed headers: Coating vs. Blanket

Discussion in '360/430' started by GLS12, Feb 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I did some searches but was unable to find a lot about the particular issue of whether folks have found ceramic coating to be more or less effective in reducing heat than the header blankets fabspeed sells. I would appreciate anyone who has experience with the blankets and/or coating to chime in as to whether there is any difficulty with fitting the blankets in the engine compartment and whether any other issues have been encountered in connection with the blankets. I would also appreciate any thoughts folks have as to whether the headers have caused other issues in the engine area based on giving off more heat than the factory headers.

Also, while I realize that Fabspeed stuff is talked about a lot on the site (and they may be a sponsor, I'm not sure), I would appreciate input on any other companies who make quality headers as frankly a few mechanics i have talked to have been a bit mixed on fabspeed products. I have seen that Tubi used to make headers for the 360 but they appear to be nigh impossible to find these days.

Many thanks to one and all.

2. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    I just fitted Fabspeed headers to my 360.
    Used them on my 348s for a while.

As with all things in life, budget is the issue.

But that said...

Fit & Finish
    All have fitted just fine no issues with the products I've had.

Ceramic coated
    Just keeps them looking nice for longer.
    It makes precious little difference to heat - for that you need the UK guys that do all the F1 boys.

Blankets
    You WILL need the blankets or similar.
    Really - you will NEED the blankets - unless you enjoy melting your hand brake cables.

If budget is not an issue but the Capristo with their own blankets.

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Almost seems like a waste. Beautiful pieces of metal art covered up by ugly blankets. Speaking just aesthetically, they would do so much to enhance our engine bays if you didn't have to hide them. The stock headers are the ugliest things on earth.

4. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    I have AP headers on my F430 which are ceramic coated. I ended up buying Capristo blankets as there were many people here who had issues (melted brake parking cables) with ceramic coating alone.

If you get the ceramic coating from zircotec, you won't need the blankets (I had my S-Line exhaust ceramic coated by Zircotec and that brought down engine bay temps). Regarding header blankets, they work great. You can even touch them right after a nice drive. To install the blankets, it's pretty easy....you just have to remove the undertray and that's about it.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

The blankets keep the heat inside (preventing melting other components like ebrake cable) so the headers get hotter and transmit that heat to the catalytic converters making them work better, remember you are removing 2 of the 6 cats when you remove the stock headers.
    AND.... for a smog visual inspection is always better to not being that obvious, I just passed smog a couple of weeks ago and the technician kept pointing at my headers with the blankets, I told him the blankets were there to prevent heat in the cabin and he passed me, I am sure he would have failed me if he sees "beautiful pieces of metal art"

6. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks to all for the info. Seems like it is pretty clear cut if I go with fabspeed. I will look into capristo. Had seen the exhaust systems but not manifolds.

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Nope, I gots a 99 :D

8. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

Then you are fine!! But I have heard passing smog (at least in California) with 99s is very tricky, two fails and you are automatically in a gross polluter list and you need to take it to a specific station every 2 years, and because 99s still need the tailpipe emissions to be measured, 2000+ are only OBDII, no CEL, no codes and readiness monitors completed and you pass, only problem is the visual inspection.

9. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't waste your time or money on the Fabspeed ceramic coating. Totally worthless.

Fabspeed + ceramic coating = Melted Ebrake cables on a 360 every time .

By the blankets and enjoy the new sound.

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I live in a Po-dunk north Georgia town, we dont have to worry about emissions here...I know of several cars in my area with gutted cats.

11. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    You may want to consider the Fabspeed mini cats extenders to eliminate CEL codes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

12. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    I disagree with others. Ceramic coating works. It has been used in racing for centuries and they work just fine. I don't know if Fabspeed uses quality coatings though. I used my local coating plac (Embee) for my f430 header but also added the blanket. And also have used jet hot. Both worked great

13. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    The Op has a 99 360, not a 430. I don't know about heat issues on a 430 but on a 360 you will melt your Ebrake cables. Maybe the Op should get a guarantee from Fabspeed. Do you think he'll get one?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

14. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    #14 Tackleberry, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Installed Fabspeed Headers on my F430. I had them Cerakoted Glacier Black, along with the Cats too.

Didn't take long for my Parking Brake Cables to be affected by the heat. However I will add that they were already past their best as prior to the Header swap the Parking Brake was not the smoothest operator !

Anyway, instead of going down the Blanket route I tried something a little different.
    As the Cables were being replaced I ordered some "Design Engineering Aluminium Heat Sheath Sleeving".

I asked the tech at the dealership to slide these over the Cables while he was installing them.

The product is designed to reflect over 1000 Degrees C of Radiant Heat.
    Ample protection for the job in hand !

And so far so good :)
    As it stands right now the Parking Brake is operating perfectly and no signs of heat inflicted damage.

Oh, and the cost of these Sheaths ?

£45 (about $55 USD)

Pic of my Cerakoted Headers & Cats before going on the car:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Once again, many thanks to all of the folks who have posted. Seems like blankets are a must if i go fabspeed, but frankly I may try to find some used Tubi headers as i have heard from some they haven't had the same issues.

16. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
  17. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I have an F430 with aftermarket headers .. no heat blankets or ceramic coating. No heat issues so far with 2k on the headers. I mentioned the ebrake issue to my mechanic and he said no way .. he went as far as saying will replace it for free if it happens.

18. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    A bit of a variation from my initial post, but I have found Tubi headers and they are about 2x as much as the combined price of the Fabspeed headers with blankets. Are they really that much better or are you just paying for the name in folks' opinion?

19. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
  20. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I have AP headers and Tubi exhaust. Headers are ceramic coated. Been on for 2 years. No heat issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

21. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    My Fabspeed headers are coated, and I have blankets....and the extra heat-shields.
    Engine bay is noticeably lower temp.

22. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have no affiliation with TechFlex. Just an FYI for those wrestling between blankets and a heat resistant wrap ... here is a link to the specs for a good quality wrap using volcanic pumice as an integral part of the fabric ...

https://www.techflex.com/prod_vwn.asp

I believe most people have stated that 100' of 2" wide wrap is enough to do one set of headers.

If you go online to purchase, make sure to get SS ties to secure the ends.

Steve

23. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    the fabspeed headers are excellent, it did cook my parking cables which cost over $1k to fix

24. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

the heat has to go somewhere, blankets will not increase engine life

25. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Whoa...that's like wearing long-johns over sunscreen on a beach.