Going to tear apart my interior-anyone painted/cleared their aluminiumum parts? | FerrariChat

Going to tear apart my interior-anyone painted/cleared their aluminiumum parts?

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedNeck, Feb 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    So I pulled the trigger have a complete black carpet set (got a unmentionably stupid good deal)coming to me and I'm going to tone down my Bordeaux with some Nero. My aluminum parts have a few scuffs I didn't have a whole lot of luck with, and it makes sense to just repaint them. I noticed when I was installing speakers that the paint is not very strong and scratches easily. Has anyone ever re-painted these? On top of that, how about a few coats of clear? Not only to give it a little bit of shine but to protect it. I think it would be a nice enhancement if the color could be matched.

2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #2 I'm 360 Canuck, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    I didn't do it myself, but my cars previous owner painted all the aluminum a very glossy black. Can't even tell it was aluminum. Although imo the door trim looks plasticcy due to the extreme gloss. Although it was very well done, at times I wish it were left alone....or hydrographed/wrapped in CF vinyl.
    There's a guy in this forum that hydrographed his with a cf pattern. The pics look great.

I'll try and get you some pics of my black parts so you can decide for yourself, you likely saw some of it in my scarlet thread.

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Thanks, man...and your thread is what finally convinced me to pull the trigger on a carpet swap :). I think I want to keep it aluminum looking, but I think a little bit of shine would make a world of difference.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Matt - are the parts actually aluminum or are they plastic with an aluminum / silver paint?

If the later - we could likely refinish them although it would require a custom color match.

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    #6 RedNeck, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    I believe they are actual aluminum if I'm not mistaken. A more seasoned Ferrari owner could confirm

6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Some parts could also be white metal, which gets used a lot for these sort of things where strength isn't important.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    If you care about the protection, why not just powder coat it? You could use a 10% gloss, 90% matte mix and a good powdercoater would be able to match it. Or you could darken it or something. I can't imagine clear coat paint would do anything but scratch more than the existing paint. They're metal so powder coating is an option.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have painted aluminum motorcycle parts with VHT Aluminum paint. It is really easy to work with, goes on like a matte finish and then you can lightly rub it with a rag to get the desired amount of sheen. I would think you could spray some clear on and bake in over on low heat with good results.

9. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    'Shot Rustoleum 500° cast aluminum and then 2000° clear gloss on an Edelbrock Performer 2105 intake for my 390FE. Really easy to clean, no discoloration, and tough as nails.

If there is any "trick", it's multiple light coats and a very thorough cure time. Don't be in a hurry!!!

For the F-car, I'd use a BC/CC system with about 25 percent of flattener to get that "just right" sheen. Interior pieces should be around 'satin' to avoid the cheapo, ghetto look. Do some spray-outs to get nail down the recipe prior to shooting your parts.

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Very good option, will look into it.

Also a great option. I would definitely try it out on a few less expensive pieces before spraying the F.

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When I did my interior panels, my 99 has the matte silver finish on them. I took them out, lightly sanded them (maybe) and then sprayed them with a can of Toyota platinum silver touch up paint from Auto Zone. Looks perfect. If I wanted a gloss on the parts I'd simply paint another coat of clear.

The factory didn't overthink things as much as we do here. :)

12. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    #13 espvh, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought my 360 with the interior pieces already painted body color, not sure if I would have made that decision, but after seeing it, I'm really really glad that the owner before me did. It sets it off while tying it all together in some weird way, most that have seen it love it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I personally think that looks awesome, but my car is already Grigio Titanio. I guess I can claim that as a factory option. :D

14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Have you noticed the finish being any more or less durable?

15. Timbo

Timbo Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Portsmouth, NH
    Full Name:
    Timbo
    Sorry to go off topic, but what's the deal w/ 360 passenger airbag covers? Why do they all crumple up like that, and what is the fix?

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    VERY common issue with these cars. The leather shrinks over time, the only real fix is a recovering, which many on this site have done. I personally have a slight tint on my windshield and always put up my covers when the car is outside. Still have a little pulling towards the windshield, around the ducts, but still in very good condition.