Would you trade your 360 for the eventual GT4 RS? | FerrariChat

Would you trade your 360 for the eventual GT4 RS?

Discussion in '360/430' started by RennSport93, Feb 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I have a 2000 gated 360 Modena.I absolutely love driving the car and would find it hard to believe that there is a car I'd rather be in when driving the proper backroads remotely close to it's pricerange.However, when the Cayman Gt4 was announced it took a lot for me to justify keeping this car over something I could drive all the time and not worry so much about. I held out and don't regret it at all.The Gt4 was just not special enough at the end of the day. Now here's my question: Does the alleged GT4 RS make anyone want to get out of their 360 and get in line for the GT4 RS?Obviously,we do not know everything about the gt4 rs yet,but lets assume it will have close to 450 hp,4.0,manual,and weigh around 2700-2800 lbs with a starting price a bit above 100k.

I know I would miss the drama and Italian flare,but the logic in me says I'll drive the Pcar more and not be so damned afraid of miles. I have always loved VW Audi Group vehicles and have had nothing but good times in the Bentley,RS Audis, and Lamborghini I've had. I have never owned a Porsche though.

I think about it like this.
    Ferrari Pros:
    1.It's more than fast enough for me.
    2.It will look better(this is fact and there will be no discussion)
    3.the gated manual is arguably the greatest thing ever attached to a car.
    4.It's a Ferrari.
    5.it's value has gone up significantly since I've purchased it and could potentially continue on that trend.
    6.It's just about the best V8 sound I've heard.

Cons:
    1.It's easily the most unreliable vehicle I've owned and I have a retired Ferrari tech in the family to help keep it running.I am saying this car is unreliable and I've owned an Rx-7.
    2.It attracts too much attention for a 23 year old with a poor driving record.
    3. You can't park it anywhere without freaking out about the other parkers playing bumper cars or giving you a door ding.
    4.Every woman I've ever had ride in the car hates it(not that I could see a car with a big wing on the back being better)
    5. Pittsburgh does not have a Ferrari dealer.

Porsche Pros:
    1.it's new and will have a warranty
    2.It will be infinitely better equipped in just about every regard(I'm a sucker for sirius radio)
    3.will probably be a bit faster
    4.I could option it how I want and have an excuse to visit the ring again.
    5.Pittsburgh has tons of Pcar dealers.
    6.I won't be afraid to drive it because of things like parking and weather,miles.

Cons:
    1.it is a cayman. I mean this in the nicest way,but we all know it will never be held in the same regard as a 911 let alone any Ferrari.
    2. It's got a big wing on the back. I personally like this,but just about everyone else will think i'm a fool.

I apologize if this is in the wrong place,still figuring things out here!

2. Myplashbrian

Myplashbrian Rookie

Mar 25, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have a CS and a Cayman GT4. I love them both. If I had a regular 360 it would be a no brainer... the 360 would be gone and the Cayman GT4 RS would be in my garage, that's assuming you can even get one when they come out as the will be very limited production and offered first to 918 owners and then to Porsche VIP customers. I would get in tight with your local dealer if your not a 918, GT3RS or a Cayman GT4 owner already if you want one cause they are gonna be bad ass and be sold out before the first one is built. Bottom line it's a killer car fun to drive as a plain GT4 so an RS will be even better

3. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    As good as Porsche's are, and I've had the pleasure to drive a few (Boxster, 911 Turbo, Targa, etc...), I just ain't a Porsche guy (although I did buy the beautiful Lego Porsche model that recently came out and it sits on the table next to my PC).

Ferrari all the way for me, but they're (Porsches) undeniably good cars as well.

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Its not really a fair comparison is it? Not even on prices as I'm sure the GT4 RS won't be cheap, even if you can get one and even then it will sell used well above list due to rarity. Comparing a used 15+ year old Ferrari with a brand new mid range Porsche... Hmm.

The 2017 Cayman is going to be better as an everyday car but then again the 360 never really was an everyday car and the views expressed will be very different on a Porsche forum than here, all part of the fun I guess. The Ferrari as Jeremy Clarkson put it once is like a 'Scaled down version of God', I won't mention what he said about the Porsche :) Tongue firmly in cheek!!

I cannot stop thinking that its always going to be an appliance that's bought, driven and a few years later traded. Its undoubtedly polished just like a modern smartphone, its very good (for the time) but I'll never lust after one and the next model will eclipse it in every tangible way. I'm sure it will be a great technical and work with your Apple airplay, marketing discussing motorsport heritage and numbers produced will keep interest high. I even consider my recent acquisition of 650hp Bentley a car that's just passing through, not the Ferrari. Glad they both exist but just not in my long term garage...

A different perspective may be that for the differential in budget required to buy a GT4 RS look at what could complement your Italian Thoroughbred. Perhaps buy a Ariel Atom for track days (if that's why your buying it) and keep the 360? Its a common misconception that when you buy higher priced 360's the reliability increases. Not necessarily so, if you make the mistake of buying into the whole garage queen thing (and paying higher prices for ridiculously low mileage for the age) - it can actually be much worse. The cars need to be driven and reliability of the 360 is all down to how its been looked after by the previous owners. Don't forget some of these cars are banging on 17 or 18 years old now (!), even at just 1,000 miles a year they are under driven. Neglect is a common problem. Fundamentally the 360's are proven pretty hard nuts with only silly things like balljoints and some electrics letting the side down a bit.

Just my 2p's..

KC360 FL and patina like this.
  5. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I would not if it was an option but then I love Ferrari and most of them ever made.
    I do keep considering an older 911 (996/7) as a daily but it's only ever thinking.

I like the Cayman a lot but none more than a Ferrari. I sat in a friend's 2006 Boxster and really like it, a GT4 RS is another league but like Trev says it won't ever be a keeper, well would not for me.
    That said I'm on my third consecutive Ferrari and every one before has been a keeper :D

Anyway I rarely need to ask if changing my exotic or regular car is the right thing to do. You know what you want to do and if you don't know then don't change :)

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It amazes me the different ownership experiences that people have had with the 360. When people say their 360 was unreliable I'm dumbfounded because mine has never left me stranded and always starts warm on the first turn of the key. Cold after a week on the second (I don't let her crank more than like 3-4 seconds). At least as reliable as my 968 and the shifting is better than my 997 arguably.

The GT4 is a really nice car. As 360trev mentioned above, comparing a new car to a 17 year old car.. if you CAN do that, then that really says something about the 17 year old car right? The problem with Porsche is they pump out endless variation of the common. Technology that that begins as a track variant ends up trickling into the S and baseline models. I LOVE my 997 as a DD and if I had to have only one car it would be a stick 911 turbo. But the GT4.. it's meh and its NOT a 911. Right now they're a hot commodity, btu in the end they're like the 928 and you can see where pricing will go in 10-15 years with early cayman.

No trade for my stick 360!

7. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #7 Perkins, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently debated selling my 430 and buying a GT3RS. I ended up keeping the 430 and picking up a very well optioned '16 GT3. Couldn't be happier with both cars in the garage. If I absolutely had to sell one, I'm not sure which I'd let go.

I really like the GT4 but candidly it doesn't come close to the GT3.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    For me, the rpm and perfect gearing of the 360 alone would make it way more enjoyable to me on the street.

GT4 gearing might be -ok- on the track but I wouldn't want it on the street. Not sure if the GT4 RS would address this.

Also, I thought a decent spec GT4 was around 100k now, wouldn't an RS version be quite a bit more?

9. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    That's my problem,I want to do what 360Trev did with his 360 and make a cs manual. It is not gonna be possible for quite awhile as I'm purchasing my first home soon and really don't anticipate having that kinda disposable income till bonuses are handed out at the end of the year.That is also a problem,I'm still at the age where my Pcar dealer treats me like a little boy, and find it hard to believe I could beat the speculators and get one new.

You've got the dream 2 car garage!

10. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I like to dip into every car I can. Ferrari is no doubt my favorite,and if i did go gt4 rs,I would certainly be back in a ferrari as soon as I financially could.

11. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Honored to have you respond to this. You have no idea how long I've been reading your posts, especially your epic build up of your manual cs!

Anyway,I agree, it certainly is not an apples to apples comparison,but for me they'd have roughly the same job. That job being,make me happy.I also very much agree with your idea of Porsche ownership,it seems that so many people trade them in immediately as soon as they are not the newest car around.There is obviously less passion on the Pcar side of things and more of a "keeping up with the Jone's" mentality.Every Ferrari I've driven is just at home with itself, if that makes sense.

Mine sat for a few years after the previous owner got too old to drive it.He was good about the servicing of it,it was just never driven after a certain point and as you mentioned,it shows. I was looking into importing a 2002 RX-7 Spirit R. That would have made me happy and been financially doable,but the process would be in a gray area at best given that it is less than 25 years old.Other than the Spirit R, nothing really interests me in that price range.

Congrats on the Bentley!

12. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I own a GT4 and an F430. The F430 is much more comfy ride compared to the GT4. Eventhough I run 1000/1200 lb/in spring rate. For comparison, stock was 323/600 lb/in. So I doubled the spring rate on the rear and tripled the front. Still not as harsh as the Porsche stock. The shock on the Ferrari is much more superior in absorbing bumps. If GT4RS is geared more toward the track, it won't like mountain driving, unless it is really smooth roads.

13. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I actually don't though! I am truly on the fence with this. I really would love to be able to do both,but I am the most impatient person ever,and will not be able to do that for over a year,and that assumes oil & gas keeps going so well. Don't get me wrong here guys,Ferrari over everything,I just like switching things up.

14. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    The 360 is incredible,your point that they can even be compared after all these years really speaks to the level of passion and know how that goes into a ferrari. My 360 has never left me stranded,but it has developed random hiccups here and there over the course of the 1300 miles I've put on it. That is a huge point you bring up,to most,it will be nothing more than a mid range porsche with a big wing on it. You also bring up the value point,and probably will be right,can't see the Gt4's going crazy and think most people would be happy to get out of them for under sticker in a year or so.I am deathly afraid of 911's so those are a no go. I've spun a 79' like a top doing the speed limit and got ejected out of the car on impact with the back of a parked jetta(sorry about your 911, dad). I think i'd rather drive a motorcycle than a 911. No disrespect to anyone who swears by them,their balance is just not for me.

15. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I'm still setting up my life right now,it would not be responsible of me to spend all of that money at present,I need a house. Another very kickass 2 car garage!It is interesting to see that you can't pick a favorite!

16. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    The 360 is perfectly geared!I've driven the new boxster spyder and thought it was geared pretty well,but then I see chris harris telling me I'm wrong,what to believe!?I think people are still asking a bit of a markup. The starting price was 86k for the gt4 IIRC,also Pcars can be optioned out like few others.

17. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I do not mind a very firm ride,my old Rx-7 was set up by the previous owner with a crazy track focused coilover set up,and I grew to love it. Our roads in Pa are comparable to downtown Baghdad,so ride quality is something to consider.

18. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Crazy track focus should be comfortable ride. Anyone that experienced High End suspension, such as Penske, MCS, JRS (motorsport line) will understand how much more plush and well they absorb bumps. That's why those race cars can ride the berm/kerb hard without loosing control.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    997's and later.. all that "endearing" handling quirk... it's gone thank god! :)

20. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I am in the minority, but yeah, GT4RS > F360. Not sure if you can get one for the same price as the 360 though.

21. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Naaah. Except for hardcore enthusiasts, a Porsche is a Porsche is a Porsche. YAWN.

... and Porsche doesn't even know how to spell "Spider".

22. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I went through this with a GT4.....stated with my F430 in the end....but as has been mentioned above about being in tight with your dealer.....have you had your deposit in since last Summer? If not, you've probably missed the boat (if anything like the UK market!!).

Is there a limited supply of Porsche GT cars (new ones) over the pond there like over here?

23. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Me too
    and
    a 996 GT3.

I much prefer the GT3 over several GT4s that I drove.

GT4 RS??
    Way to early to tell without flogging one, but I doubt it.
    Modern cars are just too dang........................ modern.

Craig

24. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Ahh, it seems you really don't know. Ultimately it's not any of us here that live with the decision you make.
    It sounds like you said you could wait a year or two and I'm guessing you're quite young (compared to me @53 anyway :D) so despite me always saying do it when you can in this case if you can have both by waiting... ;)

Further up I think it was vsurgeon who said if he could only have one car then it would be a 911. I've said that for sometime which suggests for me at least it is the best car in the world. That and I've never owned one.
    I just don't think Porsches generally are as exclusive and special as Ferraris. However cars are almost as subjective as music.

25. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #25 360Tom, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017