Getting Ready To Install New Headers - Question | FerrariChat

Getting Ready To Install New Headers - Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by caymangone, Feb 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 caymangone, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    So after reading all the stories of OEM exhaust manifold failures and the tell-tale signs (dust in the engine bay/ticking), I've decided to install some Fabspeed headers (on the way). I'm keeping everything else stock on the exhaust system for now. There are a LOT of discussion on the increased exhaust volume and some have even gone back to stock. Unfortunately, there are no other nearby Ferrari folks in my area let alone someone who happens to have an F430 with aftermarket headers for me to listen to in person. You can't really tell from the YouTube videos just how they truly sound. Sound clips and videos just don't replace actually experiencing it in person. So with that said, I'm going to take the chance and if it doesn't fit my taste, we'll going a different route. I have my own shop with a two-post lift that I work on my other toys in. So question on install. There are several DIY's and then there's the service manual-way. A little confusing. Do you need to or not, remove the cats and silencer per the manual? Do you need to or not remove the inner fender skirts? Looks like the only thing you would gain from the fender skirts removed is maybe a little better access to the temp probe. One tech I talked to claims you need to remove damn near all of the exhaust system to ensure when you bolt everything back up, you get everything aligned, otherwise you risk putting stress on the new header and cracking it. Some suggest removing the manifold and cat as one unit, then bolting up the cat to the new header before re-installing. I ask because from what I can see, there's about a 5 to 6 hour install time difference between removing the bare minimum and removing everything including the rear bumper per the manual. I'm all for doing it right, but I'm also all for not wasting time removing components that don't need removed. Thanks for any input guys!

2. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    Remove the top side engine panels/hatch struts

Leave everything else alone (bumper/muffler/cats) - maybe remove liner, can't remember

The Agency Power headers slide in exactly in place of the stock manifolds

3. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear!

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    We left the engine bay panels in place as you can do all from underneath. We also just disconnected the fire ring flange and the manifold and swapped them out.

Do you have a new set of nuts and studs to fit in the head, not a good idea to use the old studs. A home made stud extractor will make life easy, pm me if you want a quick sketch of one.. Are you putting insulation on the new manifold ?

5. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is the first time I've heard that you can install the header while leaving the rest of the exhaust intact. It definitely is possible, having taken the exhaust apart right up to the header, but never thought of it that way before hmmm

6. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 caymangone, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Thanks Mike32. I'll PM you on the stud extractor setup. Yep, the blanket-around-the header is another one of those debated subjects from what I've seen in other threads and in talking with various folks. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the main heat concern was around the hand brake cable melting. But the thread I was reading had to do with the 360. Does the 430 have the same hand brake cable setup? One tech I talked to stated a blanket wasn't needed. Read also where someone's trusted tech told him he didn't need any wrap or blanket and he was so sure of himself that he offered to fix a meltdown for free!

7. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Removing the AC compressor (3 screws) from the drivers side provides better access to removing the manifold. I used a lift also and the AC compressor re and re was a no brainer. Probably not an option when using ramps.
    !Remember to remove the 4 sensors from the top of the engine bay before pulling the manis out.
    Spray the manifold nuts a good 12-24 prior to cracking them loose. Good luck.

8. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    No need to remove the cats, muffler, or bumper. Simply remove the engine panels and the under-tray. I don't think I removed the wheel liners. Being that you have a lift, this project should not be that difficult for you.

Regarding the hand brake cable seizing, it is the plastic encasing the cable which melts into and seizes the handbrake cable. I installed blankets about 500 miles into my header install. I didn't have any issues prior to the blanket installation, but many on here did.

9. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    Nobody thinks to just put some DEi wrap on the handbrake cable itself, much easier

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have the capristo manifolds which came with the insulation blankets, i did see something about handbrake cable but i dont know. Bear in mind the OEM ferrari manifold is double skinned with insulation between the layers, the fuel tanks are very close and u r fitting uninsulated pipes which run cherry red next to them.

Only other thing i would say is that the area of the manifolds is sealed in by the bottom covers, only cooling of that space is a couple of holes in the bottom panal which must be bring cooling air in as the car goes forward, it relies on natural convection when the car is stationary. The insulation contains this heat.

Your choise really but they work very well and it drops the engine bay temp by a lot. Are you looking to fit the capristo expansion brackets, they take up 1/2 to 3/4 inch of expansion.

When you have the manifold fitted it may throw a code, i was advised to let the exhaust warm up a bit longer so unburnt fuel was not getting on a cool O2 sensor, very rare to get a code now.

11. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    djempire - Thought of the compressor removal as well. Just a serpentine belt re-route and three bolts to your point. Yes, WD-40 soaking of the manifold bolts is in the plans.
    bkthomps - Good idea on the wrapping of the brake cable. If that is the only heat concern with naked headers.

I'm getting the O2 spacers as suggested in previous threads to help minimize code-throwing. Thanks everyone!! This forum is more helpful than a Viper forum I belong to!

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have a sketch ready for you, when you pm me. seems I cannot send as an attachment from this end that I can see

13. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Be Careful. The hardest part is removing them. I didn't use any special tools, not even crow feet. Just wrenches, 3/8 and 1/4 drive ratchets. But, there's a good chance that you'll find or break a few studs. I broke two on mine and was able to drill them out, but it was very stressful.

14. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Hi guys where to buy the new bolts ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    They are studs, not bolts. Standard Ferrari part. In addition the nuts are copper coated and a smaller size hexagon than normal, so b sure use their parts

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Depending on when the car was made, you may have a thermocouple fitted in the outlet of the original manifold. If you dont have this then the fitting will have a blanking cap fitted- this is not removable from the old one, as mine was seized. You will need to make 2 off these blanking caps.

17. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    and for the record, Mike32 helped me out quite a bit with the removal of my broken studs. He's an excellent sketch artist! Ha!

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My sketchs are free hand but get the point over. I know what i mean