Carbon Fiber Bubblies and Yellowing: Repair | FerrariChat

Carbon Fiber Bubblies and Yellowing: Repair

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eric C, Feb 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 Eric C, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, I’ve got the bubblies and yellowing on my air boxes. Since I don’t have must going on at the moment, I’m going to repair the air boxes myself. I’ve repaired these before and the end result was great, but I’ll start out with 400 grit, then work myself up to 2000 grit, then coat them in a UV Safe Spar Urethane, wet sand and buff. The urethane is available at your local hardware store in a spray bomb.

Stay tuned.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. nietoale1

nietoale1 Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex Nieto
    Your X pipe is generating too much heat...it will do it again. Any way that you can install a heat shield or something. Unfortunately the challenge grill on the F430 is too small to dissipate the heat

Alex

3. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well, the air boxes were like that when I got the car (Before the X Pipe). But yes, I agree, that X Pipe does generate some nasty heat! I guess I could have a heat shield made, but that X Pipe looks way too pretty to cover up! I'll just need to get in the habit of popping the lid after a drive.

But, I'm open to ideas. Either way, I'll be repairing the air boxes.

4. nietoale1

nietoale1 Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex Nieto
    When I swapped the original exhaust with the OEM Racing exhaust, they installed a heat shield on the cover to prevent the paint to bubble or crack. I always open the engine bay for some minutes after a spirited drive...it get's really hot since the cats and everything is covered by the under tray, there is no air circulation. Right now I do it as a habit, at work or somewhere else, 5-10 minutes...at home, I leave it open and put a blower to help circulate the air. One time I took the temperature with an infrared thermometer and it was close to 900F degrees!

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    does this process work on interior carbon fiber? I have minor peeling near the a/c vents in the center

6. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, usually its just the clear coat that fails due to the heat

7. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Consider using Design Engineering's Titanium Exhaust Wrap

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
  9. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It sure does. You just take it down to the weave, making sure not to sand through it.

10. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric

A buddy of mine used the Spar Urethane a long time ago with good results, so I just followed his direction. I'm sure either would work fine as long as it has UV protection.

11. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Eric, was that caused by the air boxes being so close to the exhaust? Have you considered having your exhaust ceramic coated by Zircotec? That should help keep temps down and hopefully keep the carbon fiber bubbling at bay.

12. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If you are planning on refurbing the lacquer (presume minimal damage to the carbon), I have found this blog useful, But as others say, without a fix it'll just happen again.
    How to: Restore carbon fibre - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
    My short term fix : Flip the hood everytime you leave it to reduce the damage - as most of the heat damage is done once you've parked up and there's no ventilation getting at the area