Oil light coming on at idle. | FerrariChat

Oil light coming on at idle.

Discussion in '360/430' started by RennSport93, Feb 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Today I was driving my 2000 360 for about 30 mins before coming to some stand still traffic. Once in traffic,the the oil preasure dropped to what appeared to be 10 psi and the oil light turned on. I used the search function here and found out that it is more than likely an Oil preasure sending unit. My oil was changed with the proper viscosity under 1000 miles ago and a quick check of the oil confirmed it was still very much in the safe zone. My question being,is it safe to drive it in the mean time?

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    How is the oil level?

3. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    A tad below the top dot. I used the method in the manual to check it.

4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    If your needle is not "dancing" is not your oil pressure unit, if you are using 5w-40 it happens from time to time, if the light turns off and the needle moves after you press the throttle a bit then you are fine, is one of those things that just happen from time to time in our cars (mine does it specially in hot days and as you said when you are in traffic), I was told by my mechanic that switching to 10w-60 would fix that intermittent gremlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hooking up a mechanical gauge to test the accuracy of the electric one is SOP for that diagnosis and not difficult.

Putting in thicker oil is a band aid and not addressing the problem. Unless the oil is ultra hot that is just not normal and should be looked into.

6. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    It isnt dancing,and i am using 5w-40. The light does turn off when throttle is applied and the needle moves too. This is a very hot day for us(almost 80 in febuary!) and i was driving a bit "enthusiasticly" as well. Thank you so much. Will be switching to 10w-60 at my next oil change!

7. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    It isnt dancing,and i am using 5w-40. The light does turn off when throttle is applied and the needle moves too. This is a very hot day for us(almost 80 in febuary!) and i was driving a bit "enthusiasticly" as well. Thank you so much. Will be switching to 10w-60 at my next oil change!

8. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I will do this first thing monday morning. I would like to be certain this isnt a problem,and your suggestion would give me great peace of mind.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    10-60 is for severe use. If it is needed to keep the light out in street use something is wrong.

10. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Stepping ahead from the OP, I think this will be his next question.

What typically is wrong to have this symptom? Maybe just the top three possibilities would suffice.

Thank you much!

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It can be a gauge problem. I have seen a couple with bearing problems. It can be a pump or a relief valve problem. It could also be a bad oil filter.

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Brian ..While on the subject what is the normal/common oil pressure for a 360 430 and scuderia at 200 degree oil temp at idle

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

13. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

Problem is (if I understood correctly) this has happened only once and if it is like my car it will happen again in some weeks or months so you can measure right now just to know if it is reading correctly, but your best bet was to get the reading when the light is actually on.
    I was in the same position than you the first time that happened, performing forum searches and reading old threads, I found several people had the same issue and several mechanics (including mine) said it was "normal" in 360s.(normal meaning it happens from time to time)
    While I agree that changing the viscosity is like a "band aid" and will not fix the underlying problem, it only happens sporadically and under certain conditions (i.e. hot weather, after a spirited drive, in traffic) I would be concerned if it happens in other kind of conditions and more often, otherwise you could be pursuing a gremlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the sending unit serve two separate functions with separate controls, one for the gage and one for the low pressure warning light. One part of the sending unit is variable resistance (oil pressure). The other is just a pressure switch that grounds the warning light circuit when pressure drops below the set limit. If the gage is showing low pressure AND the low pressure warning light is coming on that's two indications of low pressure. Plus, my experience with sending units is that they tend to indicate high oil pressure when they fail. The OP's situation where the gage indicated low pressure and the low pressure light is coming on suggests that both are function correctly.

15. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Being in the Instrument and Controls business, sending units do go bad occasionally. We always verify with a simple calibrated mechanical gage. You can speculate and try to mask the symptom with heavier oil but until you verify the sending unit is reading correctly you will never really know what the real problem is.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Wrong move as you are masking a problem !

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'd just put black tape over the gauge. Problem solved. *lol* :)

18. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Your sender is fine and your gauge is fine.
    Just did a major on my '99. The gauge was erratic, requiring a new sending unit.
    The oil change utilized shell 5W-40 ultra helix.
    The gauge frequently shows 15 psi hot oil pressure now. It did not do this before with the same oil but a faulty sender. I haven't seen the light go on yet.....however it hasn't been hot here since the major was completed.
    IMHO the thicker oil isn't a solution. There are other conditions you'll create by using a higher viscosity oil. Your call if you wish to try it.
    If it was me - I would not worry about it and just drive the car.
    Question for you: what was your oil temp when you noticed this happen? Just curious.

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking at the oil pump diagram, there appears to be at least 2 oil pressure control devices- might be an idea to look to see if these are seating correctly, will the oil hot and tick over revs you might be losing a bit of pressure- old spring in relief valve etc.?

20. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Ok, so 10-60 is not the right call.got it.
    :)
    ugh,I hope it isn't a bearing! I will have my guy check the other 2.

21. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Today,I drove it to the shop to drop it off and noted very normal oil gauge movements the entire drive there. I really don't think it is the gauge. My uncle who is a retired ferrari tech said not to worry about it,but I don't like playing around with oil lights. I really want to remedy this issue.So I should try and replicate the conditions and then measure the gauge,then check sending units,then relief valve? If all that comes up clean,just deal with it?

22. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I agree,I really don't think it is gauge or sending unit related after reading more into it.
    That is going to be the first step.

23. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    yea, I see the flawed logic in doing that now,would more than likely create other problems as well.
    That would be brave!!

24. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    I agree with the gauge and sender still being good.I use the exact same oil too. After seeing everyones thoughts on 10w-60,I will not be going that route. My oil temp was still very much in the safe zone,very far from the red,I don't remember a number,but it was substantially lower than 230 even. I'd say it was a bit below where the coolant gauge was at like 200. I would guess the oil temp was roughly 200.

25. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    This is more along the lines of what I'm thinking,will keep everyone posted. Relief valve is the thing I'm most worried about now.