Just bought a 360.. Need advice | FerrariChat

Just bought a 360.. Need advice

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360brokemybank, Feb 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360brokemybank

Feb 25, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Hello All,

Just bought a TDF Blue 360 on eBay... Link here:

2. 360brokemybank

Feb 25, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Hello All,

New member here and just bought a 360 that was located on eBay....
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/'http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=2&toolid=10039&campid=5336432772&item=332128880160&vectorid=229466&lgeo=1'

I have lurked around here before but wondering if I should be concerned with anything on this car?

1. It has a couple of aftermarket parts being a Forza Exhaust, Gruppe M Intakes, and car stereo.. Would this hurt me in resale down the road? and should it raise any questions?
    2. The Cam Variator recall was completed in May of 2007.. Having said that since it has been completed would they ever have to be replaced again in the future? Basically if it has been completed should I be concerned about it now?
    3. F1 Clutch replaced 200 miles ago and has a clean carfax. Unknown as to when last fluid or belt service was performed, but am gathering all info as I have ordered a PrePurchase Inspection.
    4. Is there anything that I am missing? Should I be asking for any one specific thing.
    5. Do you think its a fair price at 60k or does it raise suspicion as to an underlying problem.
    ( I have info and know that the dealer paid about mid to low 50s on this car)

Definitely love the color combo on this car. Just don't want to get myself into a headache is all.
    Excited to become an owner, just want to make sure I am doing all my homework is all.

Thanks in advance!

J

3. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    The link doesn't work for me. What model year? Unit number? Spider?

Read the buyers' guide and hit up Aldous Voice's website.

Resale? Some will be okay with the mods... some not.

Broke the bank?.... I suggest having a high limit credit card or a dedicated bank account just for your F-car.

.... just enjoy it... and welcome to the country club.

4. 360brokemybank

Feb 25, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Josh
  5. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    The car looks very nice. The things you want to ensure are:
    1. No damage history - get a Carfax
    2. Service records up to date.
    3. Belts done within last 3 years and a good history of having them done in the past
    4. Have them check Ball joints and brakes/rotors during the PPI.
    5. Have the sticky parts been addressed?
    6. The clutch life can be assessed by running a diagnostic test (ask for this at the PPI)
    7. Get a compression test
    8. All the usual things over the above 7.

IMO, the upgrades (outside of the wheels) are tasteful and liked by most. The bonus is that you could sell those ugly aftermarket wheels, replace them with the originals and use the proceeds to do any little repairs needed.

Good luck with the purchase! It's a stunning color combination.

Bruno

6. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    I concur with Doc above except for the comment regarding the wheels. Personally, it's an easy way to set it apart from others. It's just a bolt on and luckily ya get the OEMs with the deal. In terms of the sticky parts.. I just don't touch 'em.

I like the color combo.. not garish at all as I have seen with others. For $60K I should have bid on it to replace my DD!!!

Enjoy it!

7. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Nice. Too bad about the wavy piping on the drivers seat belt shoulder. Maybe that will shrink or straighten up if you treat it? The 360 has a plus for belt service since it has the access panel behind the seats. But the suspension bushings, subframe and engine mounts are an issue and kind of balance out the gains there. Otherwise these are good cars. You had the variator service done so that's a plus. Use neutral whenever you stop without needing to accelerate immediately. This will save clutch. Definitely read Aldous Voice webpage. He is an expert.

8. BrianNYC14

BrianNYC14 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Brian E
    Looks like a nice 360!

Maybe swap out the aftermarket wheels for a set of Challenge wheels (if you like that look).

Enjoy and keep us posted on the journey.

9. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    Nice car. Great color combo. At 60$ drive the wheels off of it and enjoy!

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

The aftermarket parts are common replacements so no worries there. The variators replaced on recall are redesigned parts. Some say they should be treated as consumables but others say that because of the stress put on the cams to replace them, its best to leave them alone after the recall work is done.

If you don't know or can't tell when the belts last were replaced, whether you replace them now is a matter of your risk tolerance. The factory is pretty insistent on changing them every 3 years regardless of miles. Some have gone significantly longer between changes but be advised if you do, and the belt (or tensioners) fail, you could grenade your motor. So if it were me, I'd change them now to be safe and then not again for 3 years.

Fluids are not quite as dramatic, but the heat exchanger is prone to corrosion and if it fails will dump coolant into your transmission. Not good. The transmission is sensitive to wear if the fluids are worn out. And of course, engine oil needs changing at least annually, as does the brake fluid. So, if you don't know when all this was last changed, the wise course is to change now and then annually to try to keep bad things from happening.

Clutch jobs are very expensive so your having that already is a plus.

All in all, I think the price is fair but without records, you will probably need to do the annual service and 3 year belt service.

As for other weak points, just look at the Hill Engineering catalog. Every part they offer is pretty much an improvement over the OEM part, and often costs no more or even less. The parts that they offer are there because their OEM counterparts are known weaknesses. The ones that come to mind are ball joints and tie rod ends. A well-sorted car with some miles on it, say 25k+, will likely have many of these already done.

Don't let this scare you. If the PPI looks good, just go for it, but know what you might need.

11. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    Nice car, but pls. change those wheels ASAP.

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have been looking at that one, I personally think those wheels look great. Ebay bids for cars are not legally binding (I think), so get a PPI.

13. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    I watched this auction closely. Stunning color combo. Just remember this is a Euro imported 360. Make sure all the documentation is in place and the title is sorted. Great car, best color, and great price. Put the 18" Starfish back on the car and ask then guys for 1-2k off the out the door price. You cannot beat a 360 in this color, period.

Well done mate.

14. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    If you like how the car looks with aftermarket parts then keep it as it is and enjoy. Everybody to it's own.

Worry about resale WHEN you are ready to resale. When that time comes then remove the aftermarket parts to original.
    For now, if you like it how it looks enjoy it!

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Yes, except seriously consider putting on the starfish wheels now. They are probably lighter than the chrome aftermarket wheels and will significantly improve performance, ride and handling because of that.

16. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Agreed, TDF was my first choice when entering the market.... a gated TDF slipped away from me just before I bought mine. Congrats on a gorgeous 360! Good advice on the chrome rims too. Starfish or CS all the way!

Regarding it being a Euro, I'm not sure that is correct as I believe the VIN is a North America VIN.... I think euros have a B instead of an A in the first 10 of the VIN

17. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    M air boxes :D

awesome!

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Wait. I am confused. You just bought the car but now you're here to ask about doing your homework and a PREpurchase inspection? You just said you bought the car. What am I missing here?

As far as asking if the parts on it will hurt for resale, did it hurt when you just bought it? Again, what am I missing here? Did you buy the car or not buy the car and if you bought it, why are you concerned about resale? I mean you just bought it so why do you care about selling it?

19. 360brokemybank

Feb 25, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I purchased the car on eBay. It's a non-binding agreement. So now that I am the winner I am flying down tomorrow, meeting with the mechanic and completing a pre purchase inspection. Once/If everything checks out to my liking I hand over the money. As of now I have a 500 non-refundable deposit on the car. Pending inspection and car is to my liking.

When it comes to the parts the only thing that hurt in my eyes were those rims. Happy to see that it comes with the factory originals, which will be going on the car. I did purchase the vehicle, I am just doing some due diligence before I fly down tomorrow. I am concerned about resale as from what I can see is if down the road I do want to sell it I want to maximize my value as to what I am buying and guard against any unnecessary depreciation that may be represented in the form of modifications to the vehicle.

20. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The car is very special with the mods! Only the rims must go and it seems like you are on board with that. Good! Make sure the rubber that you end up using is not terribly old. The tires have a manufacturing code on them and once they are....7,8-12 years old they are no longer good for sporty driving.

Do you have an experienced person looking the car over? That is the most important thing. Is the mechanic at a Ferrari dealer or is it one of the handful of independents who have the special computer that talks to the cars systems? It is possible for someone to clear error codes that the car is throwing that will re-appear when yo later start driving. That would be the only thing that would be on my mind...well that and clutch life and all the regular things.

21. 360brokemybank

Feb 25, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Josh

Thanks Bruno, I will keep all of that in mind when I am there tomorrow.

Hi John,
    I see you're from Boston! Hope this warm weather is here to stay, do you know of any places in MA that could take care of the piping?

Josh

Will do, def swapping out the chrome rims for stock!

Thank you! Feel like it was a good buy.

Thank you for the meaningful ideas on the car and what to look for. Can't wait to see it tomorrow.

Agreed!

I watched it also, I think it's rather unique and a great looking car.

Great Idea will def. do that when I am there. I think that is only fair!

Thank you!

Definitely will! Thank you!

Wow gated phenomenal find. I think what drew me most was the color. Prior to this car I tried various other cars including:
    Alfa 4c
    R8
    M4,5,6
    911 Turbo

Something was missing from each of these cars. The Ferrari I believe is the whole package.

Thanks!

22. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Tell you the truth, I don't know any upholstery shops. You could check with John Tirell at Independent Ferrari Service, or any of the service reps at FoNE. I know Sean and Michael. They may have a shop to refer to.

Out with the car now

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Okay. That makes more sense. I have never purchased from eBay so I didn't know that when you win the auction you don't actually win the auction.

I like some of the mods a lot. Some are a little less like able than others but I think you change the wheels and take out that ridiculous stereo system and enjoy the car as is.

It is a really nice color combo.

24. TRIDDER

TRIDDER Rookie

Jan 26, 2017
    Hutchinson, KS
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #24 TRIDDER, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I also am a new owner of a 360 Modena Coupe. Novitec Rosso body kit with front air dam, rear diffuser, side skirts, rear spoiler and interior carbon fiber kit. I have new wheels ordered and hope to have them this coming week. Going with factory wheels for the F-430.
    current rear wheels are 355/25 R19 - crazy wide! New 430 wheels will be 285-35 R19. Hoping for just a little smoother ride!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. 360brokemybank

Feb 25, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Went to check out that TDF Blue Ferrari. Flew out to St. Louis from MA. Dealer while knowing failed to notify me of all the work that this car needed. Dealer was not really open to me getting a PPI on this car. What I found out is that the car needed 8k+ worth of work including a couple of leaks under the car. Also PPI disclosed that car had its check engine codes cleared. Dealer never disclosed any of this to me. Regardless I still wanted the car and knew what I was getting myself into, but dealer was not willing to work with me on the price and was not open to knocking off even some money. Was paying cash for the car and not even willing to work with me terrible time. Was looking forward to purchasing a ferrari. Buyer beware with all the work needed on this car.