How I am enjoying the F1 transmission | FerrariChat

How I am enjoying the F1 transmission

Discussion in '360/430' started by albkid, Mar 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It is a glorious day here in Albuquerque and a great day for taking the 360 out for a ride. In spite of what some have offered, I am getting a real thrill out of the F1 transmission in my Modena. I wanted the paddle shifters when I bought this vehicle. I wanted what the Formula 1 drivers were using. This meant abandoning a three pedal that I had driven for 3 decades.

Since purchasing my 360, I have put about 600 miles on the vehicle, learning oh so carefully the shifting characteristics of the F1 transmission. I initially relied upon the owners manual for the recommended shift points for best gasoline mileage. Although I was routinely left behind at stop lights by other vehicles, I gained a good appreciation for how to shift in the "normal" mode.

With my manuals, it was my aim to accomplish a smooth shift as imperceptibly as possible at any engine speed. I brought that desire to my driving of the F1 transmission. Today was perfect for evaluating how well I have achieved that objective. I have become good at it, really good.

In the "sport" mode I have found that the transmission will adjust nicely for a missed engine speed match when I shift. It is a great feature and I truly appreciate the wonderful engineering in the transmission control system.

In closing, each of us had their own needs to be satisfied when they purchased their cars. For me, the F1 transmission is working out beautifully.

2. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Great! You can try it with ASR off and just be sure to mash the throttle a little more generously to get good clutch mesh from the robot. It needs throttle position to vary so give it more if it slips too much. Not a lot but you will get the feel. Challenge Stradale TCU computer is the bomb of upgrades! Now do some downshifts and enjoy the blips!

Ciao!

3. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I love to see people from Albuquerque on here! I have looked at many F1 360's and I really think they are great cars. Glad you are enjoying yours!

4. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I will explore the ASR off feature. Thanks.

Jim

5. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I love my F1, I wouldn't have it any other way! I have more fun and enjoyment driving an F1 and I feel like Michael Schumacher at the race track. :)

I like traveling at the Speed of F1 :)

6. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

Count me in...there are more here who love F1!

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I too made the conscious choice for an F1 over manual. I drove both and found the F1 very exciting. I love my F1. I have made the car my DD so I drive in all conditions. I predominantly work from home so don't log as many miles as I used to but I can attest to its good behavior in traffic.

8. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I am right there with the "always wanted paddle" group. Love a true manual, but from day 1 I wanted this to be the F1 system.

Also, you need to look into replacing/upgrading/flashing your TCU to the CS one. It was the single best mod I did....or was that the CS exhaust....nope, TCU.

It's pretty normal in "non-sport" mode, although there is some rev matching going on that wasn't there before. But when you click it over to "Sport" mode and stop on the fun pedal, it unleashes beast mode! The closest I can describe the shifting is being very similar to my Yamaha R1 shifting at redline, except the front end doesn't come up.....at least I don't think it does....GYSOT!

9. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Wow finally a positive thread about the F1 system.

10. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I had a manual Ferrari for 11 years before I got my 360 F1 and I very much more prefer the F1.

Not sure why it has such undeserved reputation here.

11. leopard881

leopard881 Karting

May 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    David
    I definitely love the F1 box in my 360Challenge. Of course, the classical manual box in my 308 provides a great youngtimer feeling, but given the power and agility of the 360, the F1 box is an absolutely appropriate technological step.

BTW: I doubt that many of those prefering the manual box would achieve comparably rapid and efficient shifts as the F1 box does... and whether it is more fun to shift by a stick or a paddle is a matter of taste.

12. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There doesn't seem much in it to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzMeK42nFoE

I did find the manual got in the way when really pushing on; it becomes a bit clumsy on more demanding sections of road, but it is very nice to use the rest of the time.

I like both :)

13. leopard881

leopard881 Karting

May 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    David
    well, that's exactly not the situation I've been thinking of: a straight line tunnel without any other thing to do than up-shifting - but rather of challenging curvy roads in the mountains...

14. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My change speed is the same - sometimes quicker than the video if I really want it to be - but it does take away a bit of concentration from the driving. F1 is definitely better in those situations you describe (my current car is an F1).

15. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    And I agree. I wanted an F1 from the get-go and have no regrets. I've learned exactly how to operate it under different conditions and have had no issues with the system at all. FTR - I also have two manual cars so it's not about being lazy. I enjoy them too :)

16. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

It's all coming from the manual crowd. And F1 is more prone to glitches. (I've had no issue to date in over 2.5 years of ownership. Well, one time I left it in 1st gear while parked and it got stuck there and car won't start. I just rebooted the system).

I was initially looking for a manual 360. Hard to find one at the time, so, I pulled the trigger on F1. I am a convert now and never looked back.

17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    What is this "gas mileage" you speak of?

18. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    When I had my 360 .....I also had the F1 gear Box and I absolutely loved that car! That car was blast to drive!

19. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The recommended shift points for best fuel economy are as follows:

1-2 15 mph
    2-3 25 mph
    3-4 40 mph
    4-5 47 mph
    5-6 56.5 mph

20. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    What MPG do you guys get?
    I get 16-17 driving it like a Ferrari :)

21. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    We drove the Pacific Coast Highway to Oregon and got 17. Came home via freeway and got 21. That was the first and last time I checked it.

22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Not really sure because I don't check it. I did once on a long highway drive and I too got 21; I was really surprised it was that good. I suspect I get bout 14 around town or spirited driving but I love the sound of the high RPMs. :)

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    As a 6spd Manual transmission 360 lover this post made me smile. I actually have flappy paddles on my other cars like my Bentley so I'm not anti paddles but the 360 really does have an excellent gated shifter. Did you try one before deciding on the f1?

Glad your enjoying your car, whatever gets you going is what you should shoot for! The only thing I would say is " I wanted what the Formula 1 drivers were using ". If you ever do get chance to have a go in an old ex-works F1 car (even a 90's car) come back with your experiences. They certainly have very little in common with the paddles you get on the 360. Its like comparing a joystick from a Playstation with wheel from a real car, yes they both have the same intention but the execution is very different. On the f1 car the paddles require a lot of force to press as an example. You'd hate that on your road car as Mclaren found out quite quickly on the early 12c's...

-T

24. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When I decided to buy my car, I went specifically for a F1 car after selling my manual car. Also helps that the F1 was priced cheaper.

I don't get to drive my car often, but when I do its always on spirited runs with my friends and I am just not good enough with heel toe braking downshifts to really enjoy the driving I do.

25. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Great points but funny you mention joysticks. I am certain that Vettel had great starts last year, way better than Hams, because of the special clutch paddle they had made for the wheel, with a long lever arm. Kind of like the Kontrol Freak stick extenders for game controllers. It allows better control of the electrical switch/hal sensor and may have actually come from gaming, not the other way around! It works!