Road Trip | FerrariChat

Road Trip

Discussion in '360/430' started by ICULUKN, Mar 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    My 430 is not on run flats and does not have a spare tire... What do you guys bring when you are going on a road trip?

I am planning on going from Phoenix Arizona (USA) to Las Vegas Nevada (USA) about 300 miles each way.
    The car is mechanically sound, however I am concerned with minor things that may happen....

I am planning on getting the front clear bra'ed, where else should I consider?

2. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
  3. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    A credit card, cell phone, two bottles of water, and a skateboard.

The skateboard has revealed itself to be very handy.... Sure beats walking!!!

4. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Make that two AAA card to cover the distance. Bring a passenger that has a AAA card with 200 miles per tow at least and make sure you have the same one.

Phone charger, A MUST. That's all you need to complete the journey. AAA will take care of the rest.

Oh, Fire Extinguisher. :D

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i'm sure you'll be fine 300 miles is barely a road trip anyway.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Been on those roads quite a few times, never in a Ferrari. Should be awesome. Bring a radar detector, cell phone, water, and a camera to record the trip.
    T

7. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Slime tire sealant. Always good in a pinch and you're in the middle of nowhere.

8. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Tow hook, 12v compact air compressor, good led flashlight.

9. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    register for the ferrari roadside app, if its your first year of ownership they provide free roadside assistance which includes towing to the nearest dealer if needed. Otherwise 300 miles is nothing, just ur feet will be tired with no cruise control and the sound can get pretty tiring cruising at 4k rpm in 6th gear.

10. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just bring a tire plug and my aaa card. I'm planning to do a 2000 mile trip from NJ to TN/NC and back in about 2 weeks in the Ferrari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    I think a radar detector and AAA is a good call...
    My car is loud.. Headers to basically a gutted stock exhaust....
    Thank God I have a decent aftermarket stereo.

12. Formula1r

Formula1r Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    This! :)

13. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    This is a good idea. I've seen guys go on Vegas runs before and come back with the front of their car looking like it met the business end of a belt sander. There is so much fine dust, dirt, and sand flying around it's amazing how quickly it'll destroy a paint job.

If you're going solo, probably not a problem unless there are high winds. If you're with a group, stay well behind the guy in front of you (or be out front!) and you may even want to consider a layer of film (special purpose) for the windshield to protect against stone chips.

14. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    2x... and trying to keep it within the barely half inch from 70 and 80 mph on the speedo.

15. leopard881

leopard881 Karting

May 11, 2014
    Full Name:
    David
    300 miles in a Ferrari on the road! Wow!
    A friend with a service truck following the car might be best.
    :)

16. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    This is the longest I would be away from home with the car, so I am a bit hesitant, but it is a car.... is should be able to 'drive' at highway speeds...LOL...

17. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    If you do not get a pro clear bra installed, just throw some RV or Road warrior
    temporary wrap on her. Does not look pretty, but peel off and into the trash when
    you get there.

And anyway, no one will see the crappy looking wrap, as you do not put in on the
    rear of the car, and that is all others will see ! After all you are in a Ferrari !

18. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    I would not waste your money on a "radar Detector". The state of the art is laser for many and there is no defense against it. When your laser detector beeps, it's just notifying you to pull over. The officer will be there soon. Most radar bands now are more accurate and selective than they were in the 80s and they can nail you in a shorter period of time from a longer distance. Very selective. Can pick you out from traffic near you. Remember also that in many States, 15 mph over the limit isn't speeding anymore. It's reckless driving and it entails seeing a judge for a LOT of money.

19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    On that road (US 93) from Wikieup to the I40 junction, we had an AZ state trooper tail us most of the way. It was pretty odd. I can see if we were in the Ferrari, but we were in a white Honda Ridgeline. So, use your radar detector, and keep an eye out for Smokey! Post some pics.
    T

20. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    My F430 is crazy loud at speeds. I'm sure it will announce itself to local LEO at least a 1/4 mile away. Lol

21. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    my radar detector has alerted me thousand of times of KA radar in Socal, I have not encountered a laser in years, and most of us don't use front place and they need a reflective area (like a front license plate) to aim the laser gun to, and a low sloping hood (like most sport cars) makes it even harder to get accurate readings and the cop must get way closer.
    so a radar detector is a good option IMO

22. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I was thinking of driving my f430 from sarasota up to pittsburgh in the spring. This thread is making me leary of doing that now

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I don't know how I would feel about owning a car that I didn't feel confident driving a small amount like 300 miles. What's your history with your car that let you think such a thing? Has it left you stranded? Did it have problems for the previous owner?

I've taken my F40 and 360 on 800 mile road trips without a second thought. I'll do a 1000 mile road trip in July in my F430. Yes, they have clear bra and ceramic coating and they clean up like new but as far as worrying about whether or not they can do the drive? Come on.

24. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I don't know if you're referring to me or not but I'm willing and ready to have a good time and drive it up there. My post was based on what some of these guys are saying about having a tow truck and Triple-A and blah blah blah... Triple-A is a must-have I know that but geezzz makes you think twice

25. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    the car will make it fine, no worries. It just wont be very comfortible and the reason I think triple a/roadside was suggested was because the car does not have spare. I mean I like to have roadside on me even if I take a roadtrip in any car...