Well it happened....... | FerrariChat

Well it happened.......

Discussion in '360/430' started by Chrisnlbc, Mar 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    #1 Chrisnlbc, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I guess its inevitable if you drive your car! Met some great people today at the Ferrari of Southbays first meet. On way home, took a rock to the windshield from a mini van. Got me on the drivers side.

Called State Farm already and submitted a claim. It already started out bad since the glass adjusters do not have "Ferrari" listed as a make in their system. Was on phone for 30 minutes.

Anyone had luck with the repair services? Safelite wont touch exotics.

Ill see how this pans out.

Also, since the windshield is going to be out, should I do preventive maintenance on my defroster vents and replace with the metal ones? Mine haven't popped yet, but I'm sure its only time.

Thanks Guys....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rongotti

rongotti Karting

Apr 11, 2015
    North Florida
    Following

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Can't you just get it filled. Looks small.
    Most insurance companies do repairs for free

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    In Florida all glass is covered 100%, no deductible on your comprehensive insurance.
    Alden

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

5. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks fillable.

That's weird safelite wont touch exotics, when I had a few chips (2 to be exact, exactly like yours) on my aston they were hesistant and filled it anyways. I mean what is the worst that can happen, they couldn't fill it and makes it worse--you end up getting a new windshield.

6. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    Thanks yea I think in California the glass policies are not as "friendly" as some states. Safelite also said that its too close to edge for repair? I'm not against repair if it comes out decent. Anyone know an independent repair guy here in Southern California?

7. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I had a cracked windshield on a Ferrari from a rock some years ago. Took it to FastCars, called AAA (my insurance) - they said to just ask FastCars to do the work and pay myself, submit my invoice to them, and they then sent me a check for the (expected big) bill without any questions asked. The good part was that Craig had the installer that does windshields for the dealers do it, and hence, he was experienced with Ferraris. I would start out with your trusted Ferrari shop and work that way to make sure you get someone capable to do the job.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    360 windshield is easy to replace and OE glass can be had aftermarket for reasonable price.

9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Good news. Try the fill and see how it goes.

10. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Hmm, interesting. The chip isn't in your sight line at all. I might opt to keep on keeping on until the windshield has taken even more of a beating and then replace. Of course, make sure the chip doesn't grow/get worse but maybe just live with it?

The big advantage of Rizzo's metal vents are that they won't turn to goo. He also includes hardware not made of plastic...so perhaps they'll resist popping up and help slow the relentless pull of the shrinking leather (but it won't stop it).

11. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Actually not all that unfriendly for the "People's Republic". You have the right to have it repaired by the installer of your choice, and you don't have to accept non OEM parts. I went through this drill a year ago and my insurer (USAA) was good with the Ferrari glass and installation by my INDY shop.

12. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    Thanks, yea I will insist on OEM glass. Going to take everyones advice and get a repair done tomorrow morning. Will report back how it goes! And if the guy is good, will pass along his info!

13. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    You won't get the Cavalino on the glass going aftermarket.You get a fine windshield but it will not match the side glass unless you buy from Ferrari dealers...then it has the Cavalino. Around $4800 list or $1800 aftermarket here in Calif.

ake everyones advice and get a repair done tomorrow morning. Will report back how it goes! And if the guy is good, will pass along his info![/QUOTE]

14. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Close your doors carefully in the meantime. The air pressure generated by a sudden closure supposedly can cause the glass to crack if it has a fatigue point. If yours is a convertible, then this chance my be lessened as the canvas expands a little, thus taking the pressure off the glass.

Something I read on Miata.net... Heat can also exasperate the effect supposedly.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    so sorry to hear this. all the best

16. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Safelite filled a small crack I picked up (same location as yours) just as I got to Monterey last summer. Even with car week going on they were there and done within two hours. You can still detect a small chip but only if you're looking for it.

As for your defroster vents I did that as well. Your windshield's removal will make the repair easier to perform but you'll still have to disassemble most of your dash to get at the vents. Unless your leather is starting to shrink I'd leave them alone as it is a LOT of work. I did mine because the dash leather had shrunken so much that the "valley" disappeared and the vents popped. Fortunately I was able to get a brand new factory replacement dash top - even the deviated stitching matched - from Rutlands. I mounted the metal vents with hex socket countersunk screws and nylock nuts to make them both look good and not vibrate loose.

17. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    Thanks for the tips guys! Much appreciated. Will post a pic of the repair today.

Chris

18. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    #18 Chrisnlbc, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    I had a similar chip on mine that happened on my regular commute in CA, directly in my line-of-sight. It was covered on State Farm for full replacement as a comprehensive claim. 100% covered, no deductible.

20. hhntrinh01

hhntrinh01 Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
  21. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    After market glassnis made by SAME manufacturer as the one Ferrari uses. The ONlY difference when they make the glass for Ferrari they put the black Cavelino in the lower left corner so you know it came from Ferrari. And you will pay $5k for the Cavelino. Without it, cost is reduced in HALF. Yes, $2,500 for no Cavelino AKA pranceless. How do I know? I dun paid da $5k for da new glass! Ungh!!!

22. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    It's called Ferrari Taxes.