Big brake kit for F430 | FerrariChat

Big brake kit for F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by TheCook, Mar 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I track my 2005 F430 a fair bit and although I've upgraded fluids, lines and pads the steels still won't get me more than a few laps now without overheating. I know there is a thread in here somewhere where I felt this was going to be good enough but I was wrong - it's not. I'm considering upgrading to bigger steels. I've ruled out CCMs on cost and wear considerations. Does anyone here have experience with either the Brembo or AP Racing kits and should I start with fronts only or do the rears as well?

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have you had a look at the EBC range of uprated pads ?

3. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I initially switched to Pagid RS29 but the squealing on the street drove me nuts. I was then recommended EBC Yellowstuff which are are quiet (when properly seated with copper paste) and seemed fine on track - although read that as two wet track days at Silverstone. I then did Snetterton 300 last week and I just wasn't confident under braking after 5 laps or so. I was doing circa 2.10's around there (from video) so was pushing on a bit, but brakes became the limiting factor - well besides me of course. So my thinking is now larger steels. Were you thinking of different EBC pads?

4. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
  5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I think they do do about 5 different types in the range, worth a look

6. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks guys. Phoning around it seems that I should try different pads before going for larger discs. So my first stop is going be the Pagid RST1 pad which is a new compound and recommended for my sort of use.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looks like yellow ebc is the race/road pad so no option there

8. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I've ran a brembo big brake kit originally made for 360. 355mm rotors and 4 piston caliper. Works really good so far. The reason I chose this size is the kit fits under 18" wheels. However, the finish really took a beating. The caliper looks really ugly now and I'm thinking of refinishing or selling it and get a new one.

The brakes hold up really well. I ran it hard and never had any fades.
    Here is a video of a run at thunderhill
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqt0REqtrMU&t=437s

9. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks Andrie. Video is great - nice driving! What exhaust do you have on that as it doesn't sound standard. So that's what I am looking for regarding braking performance on my 430. Currently I end up having to lift and coast to cool them down every few laps. How come 18" wheels on your 430? Is that something you changed yourself? I have the standard 19" and am considering this Brembo kit Brembo - Ferrari F430-380mm 6pot Conversion Brake Kit - GSM Brakes - Brake conversion kits, replacement pads, rotors and upgrade calipers

I'm also considering doing the fronts only - what do you think?

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Spend the money on the CCMs, really good- it will put ypur resale value up so not a total loss. U see a few used ones for sale now and again

11. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Ian,
    my exhaust and header is stock. I put header before but didn't pass sound restriction on local track so the stock one went back on.

The 18" wheels allow bigger selection on tires, especially if I want to go with racing compound. Currently I'm still running 19" but it is also a test if the brakes is enough and I can run 18"

The CCM is good but very pricey if you're running track event. The cost of the rotors alone is triple the steel one, and they don't last thrice as long. The problem with chipping for track use is also real, as my friend had a problem with that.

I only run the front and still have to run stronger pads in the front to get a good balance. The rear pads last twice as long and not nearly as hot as the fronts get. I don't have any cooling ducts and it works great without it.

12. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian

I do see your point Mike but I've ruled out CCMs. Firstly they cost a fortune, secondly while they are lighter than a BBK I don't think the reduction in unsprung weight counts for as much on the track compared to fast road use, thirdly everything I read says they won't do more than a dozen hard track days and I do that every year (well I try to) so that could get very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    That's great info Andrie. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Nice one, I enjoyed that video.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Great video, Andrie. You make me want to try out a day at Buttonwillow.

sparetireless likes this.
  16. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Great video Andrie.

17. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Thank you for the compliment. Car working great but I'm adding a wing for next outting. That's not gonna be until a couple of months since I need to sort out my GT4 and an S2000 race car first.

Sherpa, Buttonwillow is pretty good track but NorCal tracks are better with a bunch of elevation changes.

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Andrie, I am sorry. I meant Thunderhill. I get all of those West Coast tracks with two L's mixed up. :)

19. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I have a pair of new BremboGT 6 piston calipers (same as the link above), in yellow, available. The catch is they need mounting brackets made to fit a 430, which is kind of a blessing since these calipers can fit 355-405mm diameter and 32-34mm width rotors, but the complete kits only allow for 380mmx32mm rotors.

20. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    I have a 2005 F430 and I way supprised to find my brakes were toast after 2 hot laps, okay, I am a qualified race driver and I know my local circuit but still, I didn't expect to have a problem after 2 laps, I was on a Ferrari Owner Club sponsored event so Ferrari offered to change the brake build but that made no difference. On the road you would never get the heat for brake fade but on track with a confident driver, it's 2 or 3 laps tops on steels.

21. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    .....Being a "qualified race driver" I assumed that you ran factory manifolds and exhaust on your race car????

........sorry..... I couldn't help myself....lol

22. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Stock F430 rotors are tiny for the power and weight of the car. For instance my Honda S2000 weight 2500 lbs and 240 HP run the same size brakes. of course it is not adequate for twice the power and a few hundreds lbs heavier car.

23. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #23 Rosso328, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Absolutely agreed. Stock 430 brakes just aren't up to the challenge (couldn't resist :) ) even for occasional track use.

There was a thread in the Technical Q&A forum not long ago on replacements. Taz had a recommendation in that thread for a lower cost and longer lasting carbon ceramic alternative. I haven't gone there yet, but will definitely investigate it as an option.

Let me dig for that thread

And for the record, the guys at the turn 7 flag station said it was a "great save."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    What a great pic Rosso, you've got it stood on it's nose for sure!!

25. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My last 430 had iron brakes. One hard stop from 160+ would saturate them. If cost is a factor ruling out CCMs there are some cheaper options using discs and calipers from other Ferrari's (adapters required).