360 Parking Brake | FerrariChat

360 Parking Brake

Discussion in '360/430' started by Caphill, Mar 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    I hade to get my car emissions inspected today, and had to park the car on an incline for the DMV person. I realized my parking brake wasn't holding and had to pull up to the crest of the small hill to safely park the car for him. I had thought that my brake could hold the car on an incline, but it really can't. I had it looked at by my shop, and was told that my parking brake was working fine. Ferraris just have awful parking brakes. Is there anything I can do to alter the brake so it functions like a proper parking brake? I'd hate to be driving through hilly terrain and end up needing it.

2. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    My parking brake (also 360) works very well. You might want to check the pads on the parking brake calipers.

Steve

3. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    That is really good to know. I'll check that when I get home.

4. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    The parking brake on a 360 is crap, always leave the car in 1st gear.

5. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    get it properly adjusted.

Mine is holding very well on an incline

6. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    i did many times and its still crap

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It is poor. Changing the brake pads helps but isn't a fix. Park, put on the ebrake, let off the brakes and so the car sits on the ebrake, put it in gear. All good and doesn't load the transmission so shifting to N isn't an issue.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The entire concept of a separate caliper for a parking brake is crap. Rotors wear unevenly and your brake pads wear unevenly with them but the parking brake pads do not. With worn rotors you may have only 10% of the parking brake in contact with the rotor even when properly adjusted.

It is a **** system and Ferrari should have never used it.

9. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Here is a thought ... might be a bad thought, but a thought none the less.

A few months ago I discovered that my parking brake was partially applied ... I had just driven about 5 miles or so. I was concerned and checked the parking brakes as soon as I had discovered. They were fine. My parking brake is very effective. Could there be a correlation with wearing in the pads to the rotor? Maybe one should apply the parking brake while motoring for a bit of time to see if this helps seat the parking brake pads.

Steve

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Here is a thought ... might be a bad thought, but a thought none the less.

A few months ago I discovered that my parking brake was partially applied ... I had just driven about 5 miles or so. I was concerned and checked the parking brakes as soon as I had discovered. They were fine. My parking brake is very effective. Could there be a correlation with wearing in the pads to the rotor?

Steve

11. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I believe that the parking brake(e-brake) is similar to the parking brake that I had on my 2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10. The parking brake pads on the viper didn't come close to wearing evenly. If the parking brake systems are the same, don't be fooled on the Ferrari by looking at the outer pads because the inner pads wear a lot faster than the inner pads. Check those inner pads.

12. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Hi Steve you could be on to something here,as the brake pads have to be bedded in,so perhaps the hand brake pads also need bedding in.All the best.Paul.

13. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My mechanic told me to do this occasionally to keep the parking brake pads clean and seated to the rotors. Makes sense and works well.

14. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    Did you keep the car in gear when you turned it off and applied the parking brake? Remember that this is basically a manual transmission vehicle, so when parking with the nose pointing uphill or downhill leave it in 1st gear.
    Per the manual:
    Pull the parking brake, engage the 1st gear both uphill and downhill, turn the wheels and switch off the engine (this procedure is valid for all versions with either manual or "F1"gearbox)