New to Ferrari and the F1 gearbox | FerrariChat

New to Ferrari and the F1 gearbox

Discussion in '360/430' started by TRIDDER, Mar 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TRIDDER

TRIDDER Rookie

Jan 26, 2017
    Hutchinson, KS
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am 5 weeks into the ownership of my first Ferrari (2001 Modena) and vehicle with a F1 gearbox. I am really loving it and have put just over 1000 miles on it already.

A couple questions:

1. When approaching a red light or other stop, I typically find myself downshifting to 2nd with the paddles and then letting the car shift from 2nd to 1st automatically as the revs decrease to the point where the car will do so automatically to avoid stalling. Does this matter or make any difference?

2. When sitting at a red light, does it make any difference to leave the car in 1st with a foot on the brake vs. putting the car into Neutral while at a stop?

3. Tying the first two questions together... what about going directly from 3rd or 2nd to Neutral and coasting to a stop with the brakes?

I know that reversing uphill and heavy stop and go traffic will hasten clutch wear. Any other tips regarding things to do or to avoid to prevent excessive clutch wear?

I bought this car to drive and enjoy, though I am driving it more than I might have originally planned. It's just too much fun! Eventually though, my plan is to drive my '94 Corvette (26,600 miles and showroom condition) more and the Ferrari a little less

Thanks! I'm sure I will have many more questions as time passes.

2. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    1. I'll down shift when coming to a light.. Either all the way to first or let the F1 do it automatically.

2. If an extended stop, I'll put it into neutral and keep my foot on the brake pedal.

3. I've managed to lite a CEL doing that. Sometimes in N and still coasting the traffic signal turns green. What to do? Engage the left paddle and the F1 will shift into the last gear indicated.

.. Welcome to the country club.

3. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Hello

Congrats and welcome to the community!

The general opinion here regarding the use of the F1 is to go into neutral when standing at a red light. This will save the clutch.

Don't know weather you already know about the (very), informative "Aldous Voice" web page: https://aldousvoice.com/ ? This will otherwise clarify a lot of questions for you and help you to better understand how the car actually works.

4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Just drive it as you would drive a manual car.
    Remember there is a robot engaging the clutch for you but the car is still a manual.
    Welcome to the never-ending community!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mdoc3

mdoc3 Karting
    Owner

Jun 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I always go directly to neutral when approaching the red light (as I would do with a stick shift). Less shifting means less clutch wear and I guess servicing the brakes is less costly. I never experienced a CEL doing that.
    Enjoy your 360 F1 !

Martin

6. nietoale1

nietoale1 Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex Nieto
    Congratulations! Enjoy many miles in good health.

As it was mentioned before, treat it as a manual. Approaching a stop, shift to neutral and standing on a red light keep it in neutral.

I never had an issue by shifting to neutral from 2nd, 3rd or any gear.

Also I keep mine in sport all the time and have the CS ECUs that were installed when I put the OEM Sports exhaust.

When I bought my F360 it had 15% clutch wear...now after five years...still the same 15% clutch wear...

Enjoy.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It shouldn't give you a CEL. As for clutch wear, I think many obsess way too much and overstate the impact of a shift. If you are careful on takeoff you should get over 40K miles on a clutch, even if you downshift to the lights to hear the blip.

8. HIO Silver

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Shouldn't.... but it did. Twice!

9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yes, dropping to neutral and not downshifting as you approach a light will save clutch wear. Once the F1 systems disengages the clutch, it doesn't matter what gear you are in. You can sit at the light in 1 with foot on the brake.

Try and get the PIS (punto incipiente slittamento) adjusted if your car is late enough. You can adjust it to 2 decimal places. Do a test drive with a tech on flat, up and down hill. Mine was adjusted to 3.78 or .79 last summer. Better than stock.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Coasting to a stop isn't what is causing the CEL. You need to read the code and work from there.

11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Flick to neutral and coast to the stop. From any gear. No need for lots of gearshifts just to come to a stop. Downshifting wears the gearbox, not the clutch.
    I believe the car will drop to neutral if you sit in 1st long enough but sitting in 1st doesn't wear the clutch.
    90% of clutch wear is on take off. I found taking off with purpose and then backing off slightly once the car is rolling closes the clutch quicker. (less wear) You can get the clutch fully closed in less than 2 car lengths. (on the flat)

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    On a flat I generally make it in just over 1. I ease on the gas to get rolling then back off slightly. Clutch engages and I am off. Same idea.

13. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yep, that's it.

14. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have an 08 F430 with 7200 miles. I shift to neutral when coming to a stop and as Glen said, when I start from a light, a get the clutch engaged as quickly as possible. Just had my clutch wear checked at the dealer. I have used up 5% of my clutch, although I do make sure to test my acceleration on the highway...

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I hear you there. I love the rush from 4000 to 8000 RPM. The sound is great! Shifting at 7500-8000 is almost like sidestepping the clutch and you have to be on it because it can break them loose if the road is a little slippery.

16. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

I do the same, ease on the gas and when you feel the gear is engaged then gas again, funny is that the manual states not do so "do not modulate the accelerator pedal during departure", but also states to start in second gear if you want a "modulated departure" which will only wear down the clutch and take way longer to engage.
    Weird advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. HIO Silver

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    ... and the "ASR" light winks at ya.

18. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yes, the robot needs throttle position and rpm to do what we want it to do. We have to speak that language. Once we learn it, our right foots become fluent in F1. :) And the robot talks to us like a native, like our race engineer. "Stay out, push push push!"
    :D

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

19. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Can clutch life increase? mine was 65% 2 years ago, 2k on and it's now 71%, hahaaa!!!
    When I passed my National B race licence many years ago the instructor said I was "mechanically sympathetic", but increased clutch life, thats a step to far surely :D
    neutral when coming to a stop, always, unless spirited driving, then it's down shift, I am a converted manual camp man, I now much prefer the F1 gearbox, why anyone would want a 2 second manual change gearbox I'll never know, I think it's about the money, not the drive personally having had 25+ years of manual gearbox's!!

20. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Haha, maybe a different diagnostic system? Sensor range? Standard deviation? Remember it's 0.00 decimal places in mm. ;)

21. EurosportPerformance

Dec 6, 2011
    Boston Ma

What scan tool are you using to get clutch life % info or was this by a shop?

22. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Dealer and independent tech has used SD and Leonardo. My OBD Facile app has worked well for normal ecu diagnostic on tablet but tcu is more complex and proprietary.

23. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Exactly what John said. A dealer can show you the wear. I had my dealer do this when my vehicle was in their facility. It real quick to do...

24. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1