430 Headers: AP or Capristo? | FerrariChat

430 Headers: AP or Capristo?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Cinque, Apr 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    I have been doing some research and would like to get some opinions from 430 owners on the infamous topic of Headers. Despite all the threads on this topic for the 430, it is still hard to find good info to make a good decision.

I personally am a big fan of the stock 430 exhaust sound and would be making the header change only for the peace of mind that comes from not always having to worry when/if the MKII's might crack. I think all 430 guys know how it feels to constantly wonder if you are hearing ticking!

I like the stock 430 sound a lot, but I do think a little more volume would be a good thing. I mainly want to keep the tone as close to stock as possible, and from what I have heard on youtube, some headers really change the tone of the 430 exhaust note and make it deeper and maybe less traditional V8 Ferrari sound. I do think a bit louder exhaust would be a good thing for the 430 (like similar to Scud volume), but I don't want an obnoxious level in terms of volume or a drone.

So in short, my goal would be to keep the stock sound as much as possible. I would only change the headers and would leave the exhaust and cats stock. Nothing against S line or the other exhaust systems, but I really only want to deal with the headers.

A quick online search shows Capristo headers at $5800 vs. Agency Power at $2700. I have seen very few owners on fchat that have talked about going with Capristo headers, so I wanted to ask for any first hand opinions, as some 430 owners on fchat must have Capristo headers!

Is there any reason that the Capristo headers could be worth twice the price of AP headers? Due to their 2 into 1 pipe design, do they mimick the stock 430 manifold sound better?

Now to be honest, over time I have seen some mixed reviews for AP (or fabspeed) headers for the 430. Some say they are too loud, others have claimed midrange dips in torque. However the AP price is outstanding compared to Capristo and even fabspeed ($3800) which I read are the exact same header. I know we often hear most from those that are very happy or unhappy, but as a whole are the 430 owners that have gone with AP headers happy? Do AP headers change the tone of the 430 exhaust note? Is the sound really that much louder than the stock 430 with AP headers?

So 430 owners, I'd love to hear from anyone that went with Capristo, or AP, and your overall happiness with the sound and quality.

2. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    I have AP headers + S-line, but in the time before adding the S-line I thought the car sounded like a louder version of stock, no complaints about tone, etc. Quality has been great and the price can't be beat. I'm not sure about the torque dip because I can't feel it and I've never dyno'd. What I do feel is the extra $3,000 in my pocket. I have not been left wanting in terms of acceleration compared to even more modern cars like the M3/M4, GTR, etc.

Keith Ngulube likes this.
  3. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Not to add another option for you but I have heard good things with the top speed headers and those are only $900

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I have challenge headers which are scud headers and have no cats in them. They are a little louder but still have the stock tone. Scuds sound good. Also sorted out the appalling rear brackets. (which cause the header failure in the first place) Exhaust done.

5. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I just bought AP headers for my coupe. I wanted peace of mind to. They are definetly low growl sound to them. But its not obnoxiously loud. Going down the interstate at 80mph it actually has a nice sound/hum to it. I wish there was a way to get that high pitch sound back tho.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I went capristo but havent gotten the car back yet. I also have capristo high flow cats and keeping oem mufflers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I installed the Capristo spring header brackets instead of changing out the headers. I also like the sound of the stock exhaust. The headers on my car were changed as part of a update done a while back according to the history report. Interesting to me was, when my mechanic removed the old brackets there was a crack in one that had been welded. So while the headers were fine, there still was stress on the brackets. The amount of hardware that came off the original brackets amounted to what seemed like 15 pounds. The new brackets weigh about 5 pounds in total. It has been a little while since I have done this switch but so far everything seems pretty solid. I know that I am not the only one who has done this, so I would be interested to see if anyone else is happy with this particular fix. The Capristo brackets were about $700 for the pair.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have the Capisto manifolds and expansion brackets, The manifolds are not the easiest to fit as not much room to get the spanners on the nuts.
    The insulation blankets drop the engine space temperature by a lot, so definitly worth fitting.
    There is so much expansion on the exhaust that you can see how much on the brackets, so they must be doing some good.
    With the valves closed do not notice any diff in tone, but it has a nice growl without being too much when they do open- you can drive down the motorway without it driving you crackers.

9. Salsero

Salsero Karting

Oct 6, 2006
    MY
    Full Name:
    Rezal
    I have a Capristo header + thermal blankets + Capristo bracket with stock exhaust. I wasn't ready for the full-on exhaust conversion so figured the Capristo header would give it a tad more sound while addressing the inevitable OEM header failure.

There's some discussion on the difference between the Capristo 4-2-1 vs other 4-1 designs but I'm not whether one can feel a 1% difference in power (if true). What sold me on Capristo was the reputation of the company and the quality product (headers & brackets I received validated it). It's been 4 years and 10k miles since and I'm still pleased with my decision.

Having said that, I'm tempted with the S-Line and could see myself upgrading the OEM exhaust in the near future.

The price for the Titanium AP exhaust is quite attractive but I can't seem to find enough videos online for me to tell if the Ti exhaust gives the higher pitch sound.

Speaking of sounds, I'm not sure what a typical Ferrari V-8 sound is. It's definitely not a rumbling American V-8 with its 90 degree firing intervals. But when I had a 348, it was rather bassy. I know the 355 is closer to the F-1 scream (a tenor) and the F430 is more of a baritone in Stock form

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

10. ph12

ph12 Karting

Jun 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    I did this and I have MKII headers and stock exhaust. So far so good

11. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #11 Dicecal, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    I have AP headers and S line exhaust and love the sound! Remember the AP headers don't come with blankets, so add the extra cost for them. The only negative to the AP headers (4 in 1 design) is they have a power dip at around 4 - 5 K rpm. If you read the other header threads, there is plenty of info there. If I had to do over, I'd probably go with the Capristos since they seem to provide more low end torque with no power dip.

12. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    If I ever do headers again I will take my originals to the custom motorcycle/race car exhaust/header shop nearby and using the original flanges re-make the tubes/collectors using decent quality stainless. I will keep the stock 4-2-1 design and keep the stock tube sizes. Minus the cats.

13. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Thanks to everyone for their replies! This has been very helpful to read about many of the different options, and sounds like people have been happy with a variety of the different choices.

Glad to hear you were happy with AP headers + stock exhaust before you got the S line. I actually saw your videos on youtube, and I was impressed by the AP + stock exhaust sound. I would say from the youtube video that the tone did sound very much like the stock 430 manifolds, which to me is a good thing. Of course you really can't tell how loud it is compared to stock from the video. Sounds like you wouldn't put it in the "obnoxiously loud" category though?

I also am curious if you are running any type of blankets with your AP headers?

I wonder how Capristo would sound with the low growl vs. high pitch with the 4-2-1 design. I can't seem to find any good YouTube videos of a 430 with just Capristo headers.

Are you running any type of blankets with your AP's?

14. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast

Thanks for the lead on top speed. I did some digging and couldn't find much info or sound videos on them. There seemed to be some questions on if the length of the pipes are different. If anyone has any positive or negative feedback on top speed 430 headers, that would be great.

15. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    The challenge headers sounds like a great option that we don't hear about much. I can only imagine they must be expensive considering the price of the MK2s?

Did you go with the Capristo brackets for the exhaust?

16. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on the sound once you get your car back! There are almost no videos I could find on YouTube of a 430 with Capristo headers (and OEM mufflers) so if you could let us know how it sounds or take a quick cell phone video that would be a great resource.

17. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Sounds like the Capristo exhaust brackets should be step #1, especially for anyone that wants to try to make the stock manifolds last as long as possible. I remember one older long thread where an engineer stated the stock brackets were just as good, but I think the consensus is to go to Capristo brackets. Is there any downside to the Capristo brackets?

Also, are Capristo brackets still needed if I decide to go to AP or Capristo headers? Or do the much stronger headers negate the need for the spring brackets?

18. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Challenge headers fell in my lap from a wrecked race car. I made my own version of expanding brackets. But yes you need something as the exhaust grows 10mm (3/8") and then some in length.

19. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    I think the Capristo are the only commercially available expanding exhaust brackets. Would I still want these Capristo brackets even if I go with stainless steel headers like AP or Capristo (since these aren't known to crack)?

20. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    You made a great point on the AP headers not coming with blankets. Did you go with the Fabspeed blankets for your AP's? I saw those Fabspeed blankets listed for about $1500 (are there any less expensive options?). So sounds like it would be $4200 total for AP headers + blankets, or $5800 for Capristo headers (with blankets included). This certainly closes the gap some, whether it's worth it is the tougher question!

You mentioned the power dip with AP, I did see that thread. Do you actually notice it when driving, or do you think it is more of a subtle thing you'd need a dyno to discover?

And regarding low end torque, Have you heard the Capristo headers provide a noticeable difference in low end torque?

21. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Sounds like you both have basically the same Capristo header/bracket/blanket set up and good to hear you are both happy with it. I know it's subjective, but would you say overall the Sound of your setup is pretty close to stock in terms of volume and tone? Or does it take on more of a lower/louder growl (as some describe with AP)?

I have found some good videos of AP header sound, but I can't seem to find any good youtube videos of Capristo headers with stock 430 exhaust, so it's a tough call!

22. Salsero

Salsero Karting

Oct 6, 2006
    MY
    Full Name:
    Rezal
    IMHO, my Capristo + stock exhaust is very similar to stock. Perhaps a tad growler at idle (but nothing significant), then maybe a tad louder when the valves open and a tad higher pitch at the higher RPMs. And when I say a tad, maybe 10-20% more. But obviously it's all subjective - you'll literally need both set-up side-by-side or have a sound meter to really say.

I don't think headers in general, AP or Capristo, impact the sound much. Engineering wise, they're relatively the same vs. the stock - just better quality. Cat-back exhausts, however, are a different matter altogether

23. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I bought the AP headers and Capristo blankets form Vivid Racing with the F Chat discount. Yes I could feel the dead spot. However I had the ECUs tuned and it really woke up the car, and that power dip is not really noticeable anymore.

24. caymangone

caymangone Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I went with Fabspeed along with their blankets for peace of mind on the potential heat issue. Mike from Yellow Compass can get you a good deal on the setup. As for the sound, I was a little concerned with the increase in exhaust volume, especially after reading previous posts. But because I still had the MKI manifolds, the move to aftermarket headers was a given. So I psyched myself for the worst case on the volume and was pleasantly surprised after the install. Noticeable increase on first fire-up, but once the car warmed up and the valves started closing, it wasn't bad at all. Driving at constant speed or even moderate acceleration keeping the valves from opening up, I only notice a slight increase in volume with a little deeper tone. Give her hell though with open valves going under an overpass and she really sounds good IMHO. I had some friends standing in a parking lot that remember what it sounded with the stock manifolds as I took off down the road and state they think it actually sounds better now with the aftermarkets. Granted, they're not Ferrari connoisseurs but they are pretty conservative guys. BTW, the rest of the exhaust is stock.

25. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yes you need the exhaust to be able to expand thermally. The stronger aftermarket headers may not crack but they will still be stressed and stud failure is not uncommon. Just my opinion but I believe an easy fix is simply to bin the lower brackets. They stop the expansion. Hence why they break so often. The 360 does not have these lower brackets and the 360's muffler is huge compared to the 430's. (and I would guess heavier) When I first removed my lower brackets the exhaust did not move or sag at all. The upper bow spring is easily able to support the weight and allows for expansion as it does in the 360 which has far fewer header issues. Why Ferrari would add crude steel brackets to the 430, which stop the expansion, is completely beyond me.