Where do you think the 360's will be in 5 and 10 years | FerrariChat

Where do you think the 360's will be in 5 and 10 years

Discussion in '360/430' started by TriforHim, Apr 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TriforHim

TriforHim Karting

Jun 7, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Hello everyone,
    I wanted to put out a survey and ask, where you think the 360 will be in 5 to 10 years from now. In area's but not limited to...
    it's place in Ferrari history?
    I have heard people trying to say it will be the next 275gtb { I don't know about this}

Where it will be on the desirability radar?

It would be great to hear any opinion you might have on the future of the 360, Paddle shifter, Gated, Spider, Modena

2. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I am hoping my gated manual 360 will be in my garage or being driven by my on the road.

3. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Based on my 9 month attempt to practically give my car away (F1, spider) to no avail, I think the F1 (paddle shift) have sunk into a soft hole that will take a while to climb out of if ever. The gated ones seem to enjoy higher prices and may become classic as they seem to be one of the last widely produced (by Ferrari standards) stick shifts and since everyone wants to live in the past they'll continue to be in demand. The 360 is often touted as having a "rawness" that starts going away with the F430. Whether that rawness will generate desirability as in becoming classic, who knows. As it is I feel the 360 is a misunderstood car. It not even interesting until its past 100mph and its engine is past 5000rpm. The public wanted more low end grunt and of course more horsepower which becomes available in the F430 and on so people dismiss the 360 as a nice (but underpowered) first attempt at a "modern" Ferrari but not one they'd actually buy unless it was all you could afford. Aldous Voice, however, maintains classic status for the 360 is just a matter of time. My car started life as a 312K purchase and subsequently couldn't be sold for 70K 16 years later. Plus don't forget there are a lot of them out there which also depresses desirability. Having said all of that I genuinely regret trying to sell mine and intend on keeping it for the foreseeable future. My rambling two cents.

4. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    I'll admit to not being a fan of the 360's exterior styling for a long time ... but then something happened and suddenly I was smitten. Like a fine wine that gets better with age, I think the 360 will continue to age very well.

I think for the next 5 years, it's remains relegated to 'used car' status. Within 5-10 years, it's a classic.

5. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    The 360 was the first modern , all-aluminum Ferrari that was user-friendly and with improved built quality, quite reliable...

With the introduction of the F1 it became more accessible to people that were in the luxury market but lacked driving skills, as opposed to just rich petrolheads with good driving skills that were loyal Ferrari customers...

Eventually, as the 430 and 458 came to the market, the 360 went down its depreciation curve... In the recent years we see manual 360s picking up in value...

I will surely become a classic in the coming years as the last analog Ferrari with minimal driver aids... Special versions like the CS and manual 360s will sky rocket, while properly maintained and sorted F1 cars will carry a premium... Neglected 360 F1s will become candidates for expensive restoration projects...

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Indeed it is! A lot of the the styling cues were a look back but forged in new materials with some forward thinking for design that has been adopted by a lot of newer sweet cars!

Q. Why do so many desirable cars have a panel that allows you to see the engine?
    A. Because that is a SUPER desirable car feature that is trans-formative.

Think back to your formative years and/or times when you had occasion to be shown a new car...what was the first thing that was done to show that you were a car person?

A. You popped the hood and looked and talked about the engine! Now it is in full view and artistically represented in a very thoughtful manor.

Q. Why does the new mustang copy the rear lower features of the 360?
    A. Because it is a sexy way to finish the back of the car!

The only problem with the Ford is that it is not necessary, it is just fluff. Same reason the corvette can look different each year, or so it seems. The 360 has the rear strakes/channels as a purposeful air passage and the transmission is right there too. This is a timeless and perfect example of form follows function that is present throughout the execution of the platform. I would argue that a lot of the exciting features of the 430 are a semi de-tour in the form follows function equation but I do not want to talk the car down. It is a badass Ferrari just like all of them but there is some design flair that was added to make it pop.

The gated is interesting at all speeds over a crawl because there is more brain-body engagement leading up to and beyond each manual shift. There is more that you need to contemplate in addition to your chosen line in the traffic column...a lot more if you are demonstrating mastery of the machine. The extra "stuff" creates a bond. It's not a "cling-to-the-past" boy crush. It's an acceptance of the limitations and a green light to exploit up to your level of expertise with the pursuit of "driving".

I totally do not agree with this. If you truly accept the thing for what it was designed to be and put yourself in between the road and Ferrari's execution of a mid engine masterpiece you will see that the result was....a perfect balance. If your car does not feel perfectly balanced and precise and powerful there is something wrong with your car.

And he would be correct!!!

Unless you like the idea that parts will always be available which feeds into the sensible owner-operator category which is fantastic for long term ownership and enjoyment.

Because all of them are special! We all know this!

7. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    From what I see is that there will be a "puritanism-wave" getting stronger on sportscars in the future. Because in the upcoming years they will be hybrids or full-electric cars. And of course controlled by really fancy computer systems. Especially the transmission.

360 gated manual is just the right type of car for not being too low- or high-tech. It's a real driver's car where you have the control of what's happening. And still you get nice things like good reliability, airbags, xenon-lights and easier service when the motor doesn't need to come out. This is the key where I base my prediction that it will be a really wanted car in the future.

To sum this up: I believe the 360 (Modena and Spider) is now pretty much in it's lowest pricepoint now at 2016-2017. From here on out their value should be on the rise. I know it's not a Testarossa which in all it's quirks is a collectors item already and did add a hefty 40000USD in value between 2010-2017. But I can see a 360 Modena with manual transmission being a solid future classic and remembered as a real Driver's Car. And priced definitely with a +100000USD tag at 2025.

But all in all. It's a friggin awesome ride my friends. And that doesn't change ever. Very glad to own a 6MT Modena.

8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    360 manual transmission Modena is the Dino of the future...

9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    although i think we're a bit biased on this site, i think theres enough reasons to be optimistic.
    Ferraris have always been sort of paradoxical IMO, and this one is no exception...and that makes it hard to predict.

10. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Honestly, its going down a little while longer, and then it'll start coming back up, but not for a while.

The 430 is essentially the same platform as the 360, So the 360s won't start going "up" until the 430s hit their floor.

I think they'll hold their value better than the 355s, but it'll be another 15-20 years before they are really collectible.

11. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Do you think we will be able to drive carbon emission sports cars on the road in 15-20 years?

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Manual 360's IMHO will command a 10-25% premium on over the F1. I think the 360 will "slump" into the used 348's, 355's and the like. As F1 430's drop so will the 360. I'm thinking the 360 will drop to about todays equivalent price of $40-60k personally.. I'm not sure how it will fare compared to $300k and up new Ferrari's.

13. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Yup.
    Electric cars are just in their infancy.
    Big oil won't go down without a fight.
    Might be less socially acceptable, like tobacco. But still drivable.

14. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  15. PitDoggie

PitDoggie Karting

Jun 21, 2014
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Full Name:
    Paul Williams
    Personally, as Jay Leno once commented, I want to see the electric cars gain robust support and see the sales go through the roof...

Why you say..??

Because the demand for gas (or petrol) will slow down... and prices will be great and we can drive our cars for a long time.

SO GO ELECTRIC PEOPLE !!!!...

Can't wait to get my f430 in about 2 weeks...
    Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I was the same. When I purchased my F355 7 years ago I looked at 360's but as they were marginally (£5k at the most) more expensive I thought I would stick with the dream, an F355.
    Fast forward to 2015 I swapped the F355 for my manual 360 and had money in my pocket. I love the shape now but back in 2005 I could not tell a 360 from an F430 unless close up :D Anyway F355's are far more expensive to buy than most 360's here. 348's are similar prices to 360's. A 360 is a genuine entry level Ferrari today.

I think there were just too many 360's built and I'm not sure that any 'mass produced' modern Ferrari will ever command money like 275's or Dino's. Maybe when we are all electric they might, unless of course ICE are banished off the roads... because don't forget those electric car will likely be autonomous too.

17. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    #17 Shinigami, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    I think it'll be more than that. I can find F1's for 60k chf over here, but if there's a manual out there, it's going for double (and that's an "if" there's a manual on sale).

I've been looking at the 430's as well, and it seems like the few that do pop up on sale, have gone from about 140k chf last year, to about 190k chf today. The F1's start at around 80k chf...
    Surprisingly enough, there's a manual Spider for just 120k chf, but with over 100,000km's...

This is just based on my auto scout searches for the Swiss market. But the numbers do jump around all the time.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Interesting. I based my numbers on the anticipation that we're in the tail end of a bubble and once it pops prices will fall some from todays values.

My real curiosity is whether to bring my high mileage manual 360 to switzerland or buy a car there if I ever move over... keep it at a small house on the lake or in a village in the mountains.... :)

19. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    My 360 was in the range of price I could afford safely. Better than a 355, not as good as a 430. It's a totally different breed of cat than anything I've ever driven before and that makes it unique. It's not like an "automobile", it's like a creature I become part of. I drive it all the time and I see kids taking pictures of it with their cell phones from car windows.

I don't know how long I'll drive it, maybe years. Maybe someday I'll get a yearning to move up, but if I do, it will be to another Ferrari. I paid (including the damned State tax, about US$75,000 and mine's a 2001 with F1. That's in the range of many (what I consider) lesser new cars that bear no realistic comparison to a "Ferrari".

If and when I decide to sell it, I could care less what the "value" is. I would have enjoyed the experience for X number of years and that in itself has value. So, mine is in excellent condition, no stickies, leather fits, I have three fobs, tool kit and all manuals in leather. Tubi exhaust and aftermarket black wheels to set off the yellow. I'm not going to be in the market to make money on a "classic". I'll sell the car for what we all think it's worth and be better for it.

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

^^^This.

Although it would be nice if prices on 6MTs rose over the years so I could continue to justify (in my mind) the expense of upkeep. I still enjoy a backroads drive in my 6MT spider. You do feel more connected to the car and road because of the transmission and the harsh ride (compared to a 458 or the other newer cars). As transportation, the 360 is not so great because of that, but as entertainment, it's priceless.

If demand continues for manuals (hard to know, because succeeding generations are less likely to be able to even drive them, and many are not into collections of things), prices should remain steady or rise, but it seems unlikely they will get to 275GTB levels.

Fact is, fewer good examples will exist as a few will get scrapped, and some will fall into disrepair as the cost of fixing something broken approaches or exceeds market value. This effect will probably hit F1 cars before it gets to manuals since F1 cars are likely a more expensive repair issue.

So, I'm guessing in 5 years, steady or slight rise, but if a well-maintained 6MT survives 10, it could be worth much more. But regardless, I will continue to drive and enjoy it until I can't.

21. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    The lines of a 360 are simply gorgeous. It is an honor to own and maintain one of these magnificent machines. Whatever your poison is, manual or an F1 on twisted mountain roads, they are all beautiful to behold and drive. I think you need to go as far back as the 246 to find a more pleasing shape, and the new ones, sadly, just look like any other hyper car out there.

It's place in gorgeous Ferrari designs is already set.

BUT, they made 17,000 of them. Any "investment" in a 360 is an investment in yourself and the experience of our very short time on this planet. Leave your children property on the beach, not a Ferrari needing a belt service.

22. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Well said. Or if you don't have children; just enjoy your Ferraris and other good things in life! If your bank account is dry at your last day on earth, you have done well.

23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    And yet, it is still possible for a company like Tesla to be gone in 5 years. It's an extremely volatile company.
    I think they've done great things, and have no doubt electric vehicles are here to stay, esp in major urban areas,. But that doesn't mean gas vehicles will be all gone in 20 years like a 20 yr old Motorola flip phone. I think it will be a lot longer than that.
    The range is still an issue for many of us.

24. lawrence 1

lawrence 1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2007
    Hello 360 ist.
    You guys have me unsure about my recent purchase of a 04 360 spider pad. shift.

Seeing a bit of discussion on prices and market trend. Been looking at prices for long time. It seems to me that most F cars bottom out at about 33% of cost new. That said a 04 Spider was about $180K more or less. This usually is the low end for a car that is not pristine or high miles.
    And then they establish a bottom and start to go up.
    We are very close to a bottom on the 360,s IMHO. However could go a bit lower .
    I just am unsure of 360,s because so many made.
    This theory is based from lower production models 308,s and forward.

In any case Looks like i am in for the 360 ride.
    I am in Ohio so anyone close give me a shout.
    Happy Easter, Passover, or What ever is good.

25. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Buy a 6 speed manual and you won't regret it. Drive-wise or Money-wise. Now is the time to buy that future classic three pedal 360 while you might still get it for under 100k.