Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 360/430 - Sponsored by Yellow Compass Group

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 46
360 Key Construction

I was thinking of buying a 360 key and re-keying it to work for my F355. However it appears in photos to be a solid chunk of metal. Can you guys chime in who own these and let me know if it looks possible to somehow remove the key shaft and insert a new one?

Talking about the silver keys that originally came with the car.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l225.jpg (11.9 KB, 339 views)
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 04-17-2017, 07:52 PM
Ghostdiver's Avatar
Karting
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southeast Texas
Full Name: Wally Hollar
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0473 View Post
...solid chunk of metal.....
Solid chunk of metal?? Guess you don't know your Ferrari history! that metal is a special alloy first discovered by Leonardo Da Vinci in the 1500's. Because of the unique properties of the metal, Da Vinci went to the Pope. Through ancient sand script, it was determined that the origins of the alloy are believed to be from the shield carried my none other than Holy Michael, the Archangel; the leader of the Army of God and the leader of heaven's forces in their triumph over the powers of hell. It was then that the alloy was secured within the Sistine Chapel until recently.

Upon hearing that Enzo Ferrari was on his deathbed, Pope John Paul II, requested an audience and after much debate, the request was granted. Because this was a private meeting, there is no record of the conversation, but it was believed that the Pope offered Enzo the Lega di san Michael to pay tribute to the legend of the man and iconic Ferrari linage for which he created. It was decided to create something unique, something that had never before seen the light of day since Saint Michael. Legend has it that all the keys for every Ferrari 360 were forged from this alloy within the Vatican walls themselves and each received a blessing by the Pope himself prior the being delivered to Maranello by Pontifical Swiss Guard escort. It is also a little known fact that then Pope John Paul II was given Sainthood not because of his miracles but because of his gift to Enzo Ferrari.

So, if you so choose to modify that "chunk of metal," go right ahead but be forewarned that Jules Winnfield may just show up at your door. If he happens to begin to recite Ezekiel 25:17, you will know that you took your modifications too far....

I'm going to Hell for this I know......

Short answer, I have never seen anyone "modify" a 360 key by replacing the blade.

Last edited by Ghostdiver; 04-17-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2017, 08:01 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
HAHAHA... So good...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 PM
vrsurgeon's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Full Name: Curt
Posts: 10,013
Yeah good luck with that. That's aluminum. Doubt you're getting it out.

Try a plastic enzo key or the ones on eBay. You can heat the metal blade out and remove it. Then heat the new blade and put it in..

For Ferrari Remote Key Shell Keyless Entry 07-14 458 Italia FF CALIFORNIA 599 | eBay
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 PM
bisel's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Full Name: Steve Bisel
Posts: 832
That is very funny. It certainly explains why Ferrari wants so much for a replacement key

Steve


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdiver View Post
Solid chunk of metal?? Guess you don't know your Ferrari history! that metal is a special alloy first discovered by Leonardo Da Vinci in the 1500's. Because of the unique properties of the metal, Da Vinci went to the Pope. Through ancient sand script, it was determined that the origins of the alloy are believed to be from the shield carried my none other than Holy Michael, the Archangel; the leader of the Army of God and the leader of heaven's forces in their triumph over the powers of hell. It was then that the alloy was secured within the Sistine Chapel until recently.

Upon hearing that Enzo Ferrari was on his deathbed, Pope John Paul II, requested an audience and after much debate, the request was granted. Because this was a private meeting, there is no record of the conversation, but it was believed that the Pope offered Enzo the Lega di san Michael to pay tribute to the legend of the man and iconic Ferrari linage for which he created. It was decided to create something unique, something that had never before seen the light of day since Saint Michael. Legend has it that all the keys for every Ferrari 360 were forged from this alloy within the Vatican walls themselves and each received a blessing by the Pope himself prior the being delivered to Maranello by Pontifical Swiss Guard escort. It is also a little known fact that then Pope John Paul II was given Sainthood not because of his miracles but because of his gift to Enzo Ferrari.

So, if you so choose to modify that "chunk of metal," go right ahead but be forewarned that Jules Winnfield may just show up at your door. If he happens to begin to recite Ezekiel 25:17, you will know that you took your modifications too far....

I'm going to Hell for this I know......

Short answer, I have never seen anyone "modify" a 360 key by replacing the blade.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2017, 08:50 PM
bisel's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Full Name: Steve Bisel
Posts: 832
On my 360 key, the key shank came out and I repaired it with a bit of epoxy glue. So it is certainly possible to remove the key shank. But I would bet difficult to achieve on purpose.

Steve



Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0473 View Post
I was thinking of buying a 360 key and re-keying it to work for my F355. However it appears in photos to be a solid chunk of metal. Can you guys chime in who own these and let me know if it looks possible to somehow remove the key shaft and insert a new one?

Talking about the silver keys that originally came with the car.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 46
This is what I needed to know guys. Appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Northern California
Full Name: Alonso C.
Posts: 385
Make a mold and pour your own slug around a 355 key blank.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:26 AM
bisel's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Full Name: Steve Bisel
Posts: 832
You do know that the key for the 360 is the same as for the F355. If you have an uncut 360 key you only need to get it cut at any place that has a key duplicating machine. Of course, if your 360 key is already cut, then your only option is get a key blank, cut the head down to fit the shank into the aluminum key head. How to get the existing key shank out might be a problem. Maybe a bit of heat.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2017, 05:03 AM
Shinigami's Avatar
Karting
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gland Switzerland
Full Name: Heikki
Posts: 199
Yep, I've removed my key shank from the base when I painted one red and polished the over to a chrome finish. Then just reattached it with epoxy glue.

You do need to yank at them quite a bit, but if you rock it back and forth in the direction of the jagged part of the key, you'll see that the base of the shank is angled a bit and the interior is much more spacious allowing it to rock back forth unless tightly pushed inside.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monterey, CA
Full Name: Tony C
Posts: 1,454
I recently had a new F360 key cut from a Fiat key.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160930_134456.jpg (25.9 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg 20160930_134508.jpg (28.5 KB, 202 views)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monterey, CA
Full Name: Tony C
Posts: 1,454
I then used a dremel tool to cut the top of the key and put it into a great key holder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 10.20.39 PM.jpg (73.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 10.20.03 PM.jpg (65.4 KB, 197 views)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monterey, CA
Full Name: Tony C
Posts: 1,454
Added a few more photos, so you can see the fit inside the key holder. I also added a few coins in the middle to add some weight to it. I love the feel of the new key.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:46 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: England
Full Name: John
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Added a few more photos, so you can see the fit inside the key holder. I also added a few coins in the middle to add some weight to it. I love the feel of the new key.
Would be interested to know where you got this nice blank please?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-21-2017, 06:40 AM
vrsurgeon's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Full Name: Curt
Posts: 10,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pourquoi_ne View Post
Would be interested to know where you got this nice blank please?
I got my key blank on ebay..

ALFA ROMEO FERRARI FIAT IGNITION KEY BLANKS 2 KEYS X152/FT46 ILCO TWO KEY BLANKS | eBay

fiat ft46 key blank iirc
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monterey, CA
Full Name: Tony C
Posts: 1,454
I checked my ebay history, this is what I purchased:
2 NEW FERRARI FIAT REPLACEMENT UNCUT KEY BLANK - MADE IN USA - X152 - FT46
ITEM PRICE: US $6.70
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #17  
Old 04-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: England
Full Name: John
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by pourquoi_ne View Post
Would be interested to know where you got this nice blank please?
Sorry, I meant the key holder!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-23-2017, 06:12 PM
Alden's Avatar
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,491
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrsurgeon View Post
Yeah good luck with that. That's aluminum. Doubt you're getting it out.

Try a plastic enzo key or the ones on eBay. You can heat the metal blade out and remove it. Then heat the new blade and put it in..

For Ferrari Remote Key Shell Keyless Entry 07-14 458 Italia FF CALIFORNIA 599 | eBay
That is what I did to make a fancy key for my Mondial. Heated the blank blade until it came out, shaped the cut key for my car so it would fit, heated it and inserted it into the shell. I added a bit of epoxy and a pin to help secure it in place.
Alden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0707161109.jpg (179.2 KB, 113 views)
__________________
"I have come to understand that owning a Ferrari is like owning a real horse. There's no joy in it unless you love taking care of it."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Roseville
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pourquoi_ne View Post
Sorry, I meant the key holder!
yes i am curious as well
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-27-2017, 02:48 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Finland
Full Name: Mikael E.
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdiver View Post
Solid chunk of metal?? Guess you don't know your Ferrari history! that metal is a special alloy first discovered by Leonardo Da Vinci in the 1500's. Because of the unique properties of the metal, Da Vinci went to the Pope. Through ancient sand script, it was determined that the origins of the alloy are believed to be from the shield carried my none other than Holy Michael, the Archangel; the leader of the Army of God and the leader of heaven's forces in their triumph over the powers of hell. It was then that the alloy was secured within the Sistine Chapel until recently.

Upon hearing that Enzo Ferrari was on his deathbed, Pope John Paul II, requested an audience and after much debate, the request was granted. Because this was a private meeting, there is no record of the conversation, but it was believed that the Pope offered Enzo the Lega di san Michael to pay tribute to the legend of the man and iconic Ferrari linage for which he created. It was decided to create something unique, something that had never before seen the light of day since Saint Michael. Legend has it that all the keys for every Ferrari 360 were forged from this alloy within the Vatican walls themselves and each received a blessing by the Pope himself prior the being delivered to Maranello by Pontifical Swiss Guard escort. It is also a little known fact that then Pope John Paul II was given Sainthood not because of his miracles but because of his gift to Enzo Ferrari.

So, if you so choose to modify that "chunk of metal," go right ahead but be forewarned that Jules Winnfield may just show up at your door. If he happens to begin to recite Ezekiel 25:17, you will know that you took your modifications too far....

I'm going to Hell for this I know......

Short answer, I have never seen anyone "modify" a 360 key by replacing the blade.
This was priceless. You should get a medal for such a great story! =)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.