F430 Scuderia look etiquette | FerrariChat

F430 Scuderia look etiquette

Discussion in '360/430' started by StickBreitling, Apr 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Had my F430 almost a year having come from V12 ownership. After reading up on the car, I've made what I would call essential mods such as aftermarket headers and scud-ing DRLs.

I've bought the car as a semi experience/investment car. If I end up selling the car for the same price I bought it for I'd consider it a good investment!

It seems there's a big aftermarket scene for the 430. What are people's thoughts on Scuderia stripes and the front bumper? I personally like the look of them, but wanted to get opinions from the wider 430 community. Do Scud owners turn their noses up at these 430s? Would you buy/consider a F430 with Scud mods? Is it akin to sticking a fake M or AMG badge on a single pipe diesel BMW/Merc?

2. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Do whatever you like as long as it's reversible. A stock car will have broader appeal when it comes to resale anyway.

3. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I would definitely consider that a plus (For someone like myself). I already have Scud side skirts and will eventually do the front/rear bumpers down the line. I have NEW scud seats on order that should be here this weekend.

I'd say you're good to go as long as you don't throw the Scuderia badge on it.

4. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    As it goes with modifying just about any car, you can kiss your purchase cost on the aftermarket parts goodbye if you plan on selling them on the car.

If it's all reversible, then you can part the modifications out before selling the car in stock form.

From an "investment" standpoint, it's a waste. But you buy a Ferrari to enjoy it in my opinion, so do what makes you happy.

And as Eric said, don't throw a Scud badge on it. :)

5. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In all honesty, I would turn my nose up at an F430 modified to look like a scud. To me, it's like sticking an SS badge on a non-SS car, stuffing a sock in your underwear, etc. In other words, it's passing something off to be something that it's not, which in my view is lame. In addition, if it were me, I wouldn't like to have to correct people after they come up to me and ask me about my "scud." That said, it's your car and you should do what you want with it. As others have noted, as long as it's reversible it shouldn't hurt resale.

6. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    I agree with this. Orange county and LA seems to be home to the Biggest Ballers with the Smallest dollars. If you want a Scud, pony up and buy one, but Putting Scud parts on a Stock 430 is a total Poser move in my view. Thats my thoughts on it..

7. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #7 Eric C, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    I'm a self admitted poser then! Ha...

Nobody is trying to push their car off as a Scud by simply bolting a few parts on it. Come on now..

psych0hans likes this.
  8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It certainly looks like it though if you put the stripes on and the front bumper. Those two aspects, along with the rear bumper and exhaust set up, clearly differentiate a scud from an F430.

I felt the same way about the V8 Vantage guys who put on V12 Vantage hoods on their cars back when I had a V12V. Hard to believe that such a move isn't at least partially motivated in making the car looking like the superior, more expensive version. Even if that's truly not the owner's intention, it's always going to look like it.

9. midengine

midengine Karting

May 7, 2007
    Hi Eric,

Where can you get NEW Scud seats ?

Thanks

10. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I just purchased a scud and it wouldn't bother me if I saw a 430 with scud parts. Wouldn't even cross my mind to care about it. Whats the saying...imitation is the best form of flattery? I agree with others that cautioned on re-sale value. Be prepared to put it back to stock.

psych0hans likes this.
  11. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Doesn't bother me. I don't think I'd do the stripe as a decal though. Looks good when they do Scud wheels, front end, mirrors, and lower it slightly.

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    If you like the way it looks, does it really matter what others think?
    But If you're actually trying to pass off as something different, well, that's pretty insecure.

I wonder though, if the stripes came standard on a "lesser" model car, how many would put them on? ;)

psych0hans likes this.
  13. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Some folks here have scud wheels on their 430s or 430 wheels on their 360s?
    Others replace their reg seats with Daytona while others install CF intakes.
    Most have the rear challenge grill that did not come with the orig car

I fashioned my dash to look like a CS with the yellow tach.

How are these mods different from what the StickBreitling wants to do?

psych0hans likes this.
  14. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Do what makes you happy. At the end of the day its a car for your enjoyment.

psych0hans likes this.
  15. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Btw, it's "poseur".

16. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    ATD out of Germany.

17. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Do whatever you want... It is your car...
    But, in my opinion, cars should be kept original... If it is a F430, it should look like an F430... If it is Scuderia, it looks like Scuderia...
    Changing a bumper or adding a stripe, doesn't make your car the model you are trying to imitate.. Better be original, than be fake...

18. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I think the Scud bumper is a great improvement on a F430.

No one seems to have an issue with all the 360s that have CS bumpers.

While I do agree if the intention is to make it look like a Scud and pass it off as such, then it's kinda cheesy.

A forum member on here has a Yellow F430 with a Scud bumper...it looks fantastic.

Only .01% of the population will know the difference anyway. The rest don't even know if it's a Ferrari or Mustang...

19. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I put stripes and wheels on my car and I get a ton of compliments. I'm not trying to be Poseur at all, I and many others like the look. Simple you like, you do.
    I just love my car and I don't care what others really think. When I'm done with it I'll just peal the stickers off no big deal.

I believe there are a bunch of race guys out there that take the street cars and change them all up to be like the race cars, where did the scud idea originally come from?? So who are the real poseurs??..... ;)

20. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I'm not an accessories guy myself. However, I've come to appreciate the thought and art that goes into some of these tasteful modifications (though I still haven't really modified any of my cars). So if you like it, then do it. Don't worry about what other people think. The Scud mods look great. If you're trying to be a poser, who cares? It's not like you're trying to pass off a Fiero as a Lambo...

21. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #21 Drestless, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    As long as your ready to reverse it on resale to not affect value.

In the meantime, enjoy the unique look of your car to your standards not based on the opinion of your neighbors, the community or anybody else. It's yours, it's your money and you'll be the driver. Do whatever you like with it IMHO.

Well as long as you don't put a Scud badge your ok.

22. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    They're a lot different in my mind. When you modify the car to incorporate the most prominent aspects of the scud that most clearly differentiate it from the F430, the car will look like it's a scud. It's only after you take a closer look that you'd realize it's an F430. The same can be said of well-executed faux-rarris that are out there. The other mods you mentioned are the opposite: the car will still look like the regular version of the car and it's unlikely people would mistake it for the higher-end version of the car.

On the topic of faux-rarris, modding an F430 to look like the scud isn't all that different than adding a Ferrari body kit to a Fiero or other car. Yes, it's a big difference in terms of scale, but the concept is the same: making the car look like a more exclusive, more expensive car than it actually is.

Again, y'all are free to do what you want but, for me, I'd much rather just get the real deal (and that's what I did).

23. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Come on now.

24. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Kudos to you being able to afford the real deal. Not everybody have abundance of funds hence they upgrade as much as they can to make it look like the car they wanted. This shouldn't be treated like a crime but more of passion.

Making a 430 to have same aesthetics as a Scud should be ok as long as he don't put the Scud badge on it IMHO. :)

25. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    +1