Aftermarket headers and Check Engine Light | FerrariChat

Aftermarket headers and Check Engine Light

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gizzi, Apr 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Hi all. I've got the usual cracked headers on my spider, and would prefer to fit aftermarket headers. I've been told the CEL will come on with aftermarket? Can anyone with aftermarket headers shed any light on this for me? I'm an auto elec, and I assume there will be an issue because of the lack of the precats in the manifold. I've seen Fabspeed O2 extenders with cats, on their website, but they also say it REDUCES the chance of a CEL coming on. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    No man, don't go to the dark side!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

3. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    The dark force is strong grasshopper

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have the Capisto manifolds on mine, it can throw a code but it is a rare thing. Best to let the engine warm up well before setting off as the lamda sensors get hot and you dont get part burnt fuel on then, setting off the codes
    Works pretty well for me- never get codes after it gets hot or on a high speed run.

5. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
  6. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    No light on my TS headers. Strange how some with headers costing 2-3x more throw codes.

7. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    Bought a FABSPEED Sports Headers then a week after installation check engine light came on. Installed 02 Sensor then it went away

8. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Most of the time the CEL will be on, I used mini cat spacers and that solved the issue, also the 360 (I assume the 430 is similar) has 6 cats, two of them inside the headers and two more pairs in the main cats, the 02 sensors are located before the last pair and biggest catalytic component (one per side obviously), when I had replaced my cats with high flow cats the mechanic measured the 02 readings without the mini cats spacers (and the 02 sensors installed AFTER the cat like a Euro version) and he said the readings were pretty low, it didn't throw a CEL, he installed the mini cats spacers just to be safe.
    So basically the aftermarket cats perform a better scrubbing function than the first two pairs of cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Gezim, I just shot you over a PM but will explain here as well! It's honestly a 50/50 shot with these cars that they will throw a CEL. Some guys will swap headers, fit a set of O2 spacers to help minimize the occurrence and never ever see a light. Other cars will throw a light right on start-up. Once you remove those pre-cats in the headers, they become sensitive.
    There is always the option of an ECU tune to get rid of the CEL if the spacers don't work and to optimize the power band for the newly added headers - but then you run into emissions issues because it turns the catalyst monitors off.

10. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Thanks everyone for your valuable input, very much appreciated. I've decided to go for the Fabspeed headers and the ECU tune. As we don't have emission problems here, t won't be an issue, and the tune will both, stop the CEL coming on and increase HP. I'll post progressive installation and results.

11. Husky17

Husky17 Rookie

Jan 19, 2017
    S.C.
    I've installed fabspeed on my 360' recently with extensions my right front o2 is the one that keeps throwing the code so I'm going to change it waiting on parts now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. skip737

skip737 Karting

Dec 31, 2008
    Lodi, New York
    Full Name:
    WJH
    Capristo headers, cats and muffler on my 16M. No CEL so far.

13. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach

Same exact setup here also. Installed 3 weeks ago. Just threw my first code this weekend after a long hour + drive. Havent pulled the code yet, but will advise as well. Im not too worried. The damn thing threw codes before the headers also! LOL...its a Ferrari.

14. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    The cel will not come on with headers

15. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I have a 360 spider with fabspeed headers and capristo blankets. no CELs. would not look back

16. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Aftermarket headers on my 430 and no CEL.

17. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    2005 F430 with AP headers, no CEL so far and I hope it stays that way.....

18. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Aftermarket headers, get some earplugs!!!

19. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Plenty would disagree, including me.
    O2 extenders fixed mine.

20. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    F430 with Capristo headers installed about 5 years ago ... no CELs ... no extenders.

Hope I haven't jinxed myself!

21. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have headers and 02 extenders didn't help. I get a CEL on every drive, but only if I shift at redline.

22. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just to add one more data point, added Fabsoeed headers and sport cats, got the 0420/0430 codes every drive.

Went back and added the O2 extenders, haven't seen one since.