Oil change blues | FerrariChat

Oil change blues

Discussion in '360/430' started by vvvmd, Apr 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    I decided to take on a major fluid change project on my 430. I had to replace the parking brake cable after it melted from the headers I put on 18 months ago.
    I replaced the cables, put in header blankets, replaced the coolant, flushed the brake fluid, and then got start d on the oil change.
    I got the two drain plugs off and filter off without any difficulty. Disaster struck when I was removing the four Allen head bolts than hold the flange in to inspect the filter screen. They are frozen in place. I used an electric impact wrench on the first one and it stripped. I used a regular Allen wrench on the second one and managed to put a nice 45 degree twist in the wrench before it started to strip the bolt. At that time I aborted I'm thinking someone put loc
    Two questions
    1 how important is it to check the screen
    2 How the bling do I get those 4 3mm bolts off? Specs call for something like 6 NM torque on thes puppies

While all the panels were off I noticed an exhaust bracket wa cracked. New Capristo bracket en route

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    IIRC they have bolt removers at either northern tool or harbor freight. I'd try those before going all out with a grinder or dremel.

3. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Grind a groove deep enough for a flat head screwdriver to fit and remove the screws. The screen should always be checked. I just replaced mine as it was nasty.
    Purchase new screws from the dealer. No need for loctight just torqued to spec.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Before to start cutting screwdriver slots, get a socket allen key to suit, fit an extension bar and hit the end of the extension bar with a 4 pound lump hammer- use a 1/2 size if it will fit in. This should just shock the bolt threads in the engine case to let it off enough to get it started. The allen screw is steel and the engine casing is alloy so the shock will give u enough to get it out.
    Keep off impact wrenches as the power is too instant and will shear the screws

5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

Good points. I have had a lot of success with impact driver. I had similar issues with my clutch inspection cover on my 360. This worked great after a couple of raps w a hammer.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    You can also get a proper sized allen socket (per Mike32) to use on a HAND impact driver (per 360+Volt=Prius jpg). A few raps with a hammer should work. You might also want to use a little heat.

7. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Careful with the hammer on the aluminum flange area. If you get a good grip on the screw there's really no need for smacking around that area.

8. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Did you use the proper metric Allen wrench?

I've made the mistake before...the results weren't pretty.

9. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    Yep used the right sized wrench it now has a quarter turn twist in the shaft before the screw stripped

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you have an allen key with a 1/4 turn in it, then its a good make. The crap ones snap.
    You say the screw stripped, do you mean the allen head has rounded out ? Or have you stripped the thread in the casing.
    The socket type are short so they dont twist

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The idea is to give it a tap, not hammer 7 bells out of it. It will give you just enough to get it out.

12. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Te hand hald impact driver is just the tool for dissimilar metals. Application of carborundum grit paste in the head of a fastener helps enhance the tool's grip between tool and fastener and will reduce chance of rounding out the hole (can use a fine valve/reel lapping compound or a product called dr. grip.) The fastener should break free all the better after applying a couple drops of wintergreen oil and letting them soak, which helps with galvanic corrosion. If you suspect thread-locker was used, a gentle application of heat will break it's bond momentarily.

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    A hand help impact wrench will work. You need one that's adjustable and small (NOT the one you use for your lug nuts)...

My experience with exhaust nuts/bolts: Mine came as part of a set of tools for dewalt I think. Has 3 setting. I put it on the lowest setting which wont unscrew the allen bolt but will shake it up well. I do this for 30 seconds. Goto the second setting, repeat. By the third setting, they pop right out...

If I put it on the high setting right off, it rips the head of the bolt off or strips it...

14. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    Head has rounded out

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Is that a cap head or a domed head ? If its a cap head, can you grip it with a set of mole grips on the sides.
    Other wise you might try a slightly bigger socket allen key- if the next metric size is no good, look for an A/F size

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
  17. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    If the allen key, which is hardened steel, stripped the bolt then its in there good... these contraptions may still slip. If you use one, you may still want to use a low power impact tool to increase likelihood of success...

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If it is countersunk, using a large drift pin and a large hammer rap them straight down on the head very smartly and they will just screw out. Needs to be done prior to stripping head out but if done now you will actually have success in removal.

19. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Wow sorry to hear this. I just finished the change in my 360 and it took two days with the tray removal! My fan screen bolts came out easily. I did not remove it completely to give a proper inspection but at 14K miles I will do it next time. I actually used it as a drain since I don't have a 14mm allen socket yet. Front drain bolt came out great but it did take a breaker bar and was surprisingly free once the seal was broken. Spun easily in the threads after that. New crush washer when done. All parts torqued. I actually flushed several liters of new oil out the screen hole since I got a little out of sequence. I only drained about 4 liters out of the front drain. But she's all back together and started, run for top off. Added a bit too much what with the air pockets and I hope it didn't get ingested at the disaerator ports. Valves sounded a little tappy until I added more after the final drain. Didn't run it long and stopped in between to be sure. I could hear the valves quiet down pretty quickly and then the oil cooler gurgled after I shut it down and was closing the lid. That was pretty funny.