Ferrari 360 6speed manual clutch issue (strange?) | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 6speed manual clutch issue (strange?)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mikael-F360, Apr 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Hello to all and thank you in advance for reading this post.

So I have a 360 6speed manual Modena ym. 2000. 60000km on the odometer (37300mi). I just bought the car recently and I don't know if the clutch is repaired/changed ever.

My question is that how long a clutch will last in this type of car? I assume it's not tracked, but driven in normal road conditions. There has been several owners before me, so I don't know how well they have operated the clutch.

Now today happened a strange thing. I was driving the highway for about 10minutes on the sixth gear. Then I pulled off to an intersection and the clutch pedal was senseless! Just pressed it down couple of times and no pressure there! No engine alarm lights or anything. Then I stopped for one minute and pumped the pedal and the "hydraulics" and pressure came back on and I could shift gears again. This was very strange to me as I am new to this car. After one hour of this incident, I went driving again and no problems.

So what can cause this? What to do? How much is the clutch service and what does it include? Is it a big job on the shop? Engine can stay in place though and it's done from disassembling the car's rear?

Help me you wise Wizards of this forum. Thank you!

2. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I had same problem... It is the throwout bearing that is leaking and needs replacement... Usually you replace the clutch as well, as the work involved to replace the throwout bearing is same as to replace the clutch as well...

If you want to extend the life of your throwout bearing for now, you can simply add some DOT 4 brake fluid and pump the clutch as you already did... This way you will have pressure for a while, but you need to check the fluid level periodically...

Hope this helps...

3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There are several causes on the manual:

1) Leaking release/throwout bearing - as MD points out
    2) Cracked clutch line distribution block on the side of the gearbox
    3) Failed master cylinder piston seals - there was a revised part to address this issue
    4) Failed master cylinder reservoir seals

The above list is in order of probability. Most likely = first.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    This here. You can do some checks to see where the problem might be.

First would be to check the bleed block on the car. RPassenger axle CV joint in the engine compartment with the tubes running into it. If you put a cloth or your hand there.. does it get wet with brake fluid? If so it's cracked and can be replaced.

Second, if you look at the pedals in the car. You'll see the clutch pedal on the left with the master cylinder in the firewall. Is there any fluid leaking or wet in the area? Typically.. the master cylinder seal fails and you'll get leakage and loss of fluid pressure and fluid into the cabin. May not happen though. Easy to replace via removing the panel behind hte front trunk. Get a set of short stubby wrenches, it will help.

Lastly, if its the seals in the clutch bearing you'll probably see fluid coming out of the access panel beneath the car. I noticed this in mine and its only time until I need a clutch/throwout bearing. Gotta open it up for this.

5. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Thanks. Where do I add the dot 4 brake fluid? And how much? Sorry for being a newbie to this car. But I am learning quickly... =)

6. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Thank you for this list. So how costly are those works done in a shop?

I am not familiar with the function of the clutch or the throwout bearing function. Is there some picture or parts list where this can be seen?

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Open the front trunk. In front of windshield on drivers side, small panel with three thumbscrews holding it on. Open it and beneath it is the brake reservior.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/360-group/360-modena/clutch-and-controls-not-for-f1.html

8. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred

Just happed to me.
    Needed new Clutch and TO Bearing.
    Everything back to normal.

9. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
  10. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    #10 Mikael-F360, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Did you take it straight to the repair after you had the "senseless pedal" problem? How much did the clutch and TO change cost? I need some numbers for comparison to choose where I want to have it fixed.

How long can I drive it before it leaves me on the side of the road? :|

11. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.

12. 360ian

360ian Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    UK London
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Interesting thread chaps - wonder if I could ask a similar query on this.
    My manual 2001 euro coupe has just started the classic "thrust bearing squeal" on cold starts which lasts for about a minute and then disappear completely for all journeys until the next cold start. The complete clutch was new from previous owner 7000 miles ago.
    I dont think I have any thrust bearing leaks yet and the clutch pedal hasn't gone to the floor yet....
    What will be the likely next "symptoms" of failure I can expect and is there anything I could do to lengthen the time before I have to replace bearing / clutch etc.

Many Thanks for any advise

Cheers
    Ian

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    For now just watch your fluid level in the brake reservoir occasionally. Can't think of anything big that you can do..

14. 360ian

360ian Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    UK London
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks Curt, will do and fingers crossed etc

Cheers
    Ian

15. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I would use Hill Engineering unit, also change release bearing flange in same go while you open up everything.

Funny thing here (Finland) are two cars sold this spring and both seems to got release bearing issue.

16. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    You are right about that! But the clutch and TO bearings can only last so long.

I'll be sending you a PM now. Suomessa ei liikaa alan tietäjiä kun ole.

17. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Hi,

May I ask is this familiar signature:

1-7-4-10-2-8-6-12-3-9-5-11
    1-7-5-11-3-9-6-12-2-8-4-10
    1-9-5-12-3-8-6-10-2-7-4-11

Like I PM'd to the other mikael, there's a guy in our capital area who are doing these service jobs with like half of the hourly charge of the official dealer and doing at least as good job as peoples in Vaunula. For me he quoted 67 euros per hour. And parts are OEM ones with "Ferrari-tax" on them OR if the customers wants to order 3rd party parts / bring their own parts - that's suitable also.

18. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Yes, that is sgnature I use on most (Finnish) forums.

I have experience with any car service, since I do everything my self, so I can not give any guidance with that.
    But if you get good service and some document from it, it should be fine. I have done some job's to friends, but I have no experience with 360 and have no time, but in that case I take lot of photos, all parts coming out and going in, even take pictures of torque settings I use and give them to owner with car. But this is too much to ask from regular service and they got insurance to deal with parts falling out.

19. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred

I fought with bleeding the block. Even bought a Hill block.
    I replaced the gear lever bushing with Hill also
    As stated, the clutch and TOB only lasts so long.

Took it to my independent expert(Fchatter).
    Cost $5.5K incl all parts. All OE clutch parts.
    I should be good for the next 10 years and 30K

20. Goerge

Goerge Rookie

Feb 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jerzy Cielusek
    Hey. I will replace the clutch thrust bearing. I have a manual for replacing the clutch, but there is little information about the replacement of the clutch bearing. The manual is written about the use of a special tool "Use the tool AV 3079 to center the bushing bearing on the flange sleeve" Is it needed? I need help.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I have known mechanics that have not used the tool to put it on the flange sleeve. The rub is you don't want to crimp the seals on the flange or install them incorrectly. It may leak brake/hydraulic fluid if you do. I'm sure you can get it seated without the tool..

22. Goerge

Goerge Rookie

Feb 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jerzy Cielusek
    Thanks, i will do it without tool.

23. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Just reading this thread and although an old comment, I had a similar experience that’s worth sharing......

I changed the release bearing on my car after the same cold start symptoms. A squeal or whine only on cold start that stopped as soon as the clutch started to engage.....
    I checked the pilot bearing in the the end of the crank which felt really good so just fitted a new release bearing but on first start the noise was still there.
    I now believe it is a kind of resonance from the clutch friction plate kissing the pressure plate and flywheel (mines and F1 car). A sort of ‘finger around the rim of a wine glass’ kind of noise I only hear for a minute or so when the car is cold and never in summer. Seems to be when it’s cooler say 10 DGC or less.

Anyone else get this?