Need new TCU for 2001 360. What is best way to proceed? | FerrariChat

Need new TCU for 2001 360. What is best way to proceed?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Azzuro Blue, May 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    My repair shop with two Ferrari certified mechanics found that my 2001 360 TCU is prior to part no 189542 which means the PIS cannot be set manually. They are checking around for used TCUs.
    I read the following excellent article on the F1 trans with some very good TCU info:
    https://aldousvoice.com/2013/01/30/ferrari-360-f1-system/

The article even mentions being able to use a F430 TCU and then flash it with the 360 CS maps. The article was last updated in 2014. Can anyone tell me the most up to date thinking on which TCU and maps I should be looking to use?

2. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I replaced the one in my 99 with a new 2004 version my mechanice then set it up perfect and it's by far the best shifting f1 out of the 15 or so I've driven. I believe it's super close the the CS version without any compatibility headache's

4k miles later it's still shifting perfect and I've only worn the clutch 2 percent

3. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
  4. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    I believe there was a shop/graveyard in Sacramento that had many TCU's available.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The Eric referred to in the article who can reflash TCU is eric355 here - pm him

6. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    Does anyone know the name or number for the shop? Thanks!

7. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  8. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
  9. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I just did my 99 360, I ordered the TCU from Eric355 and it was very easy and the best way to go IMHO.
    PM Eric355, you will not have any issues then.

10. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Can't go wrong with Eric, both with TCU's and Fobs.

I didn't realize there was a 360 so close to me in Sussex...

11. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    TCU-CS firmware.

I have seen some comments that people have had gremlins after upgrading the TCU to a CS copy.

I too had issues when i first did this.
    For me it frequently refused to engage gears after i rolled up to a set of traffic lights - and oh god was that embarrassing and dangerous.

Now having repaired the many many faults my F1 system had, the CS firmware has been working perfectly.

If I was to guess, i would say the gearbox angular sensor input probably plays a more critical role in the CS firmware than it does in the mk1 (auto-pis) firmware.

12. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    That must be difficult to diagnose. Change the TCU on a working F1 and suddenly it is not working due to something else. Do the diagnostics pick this up or is it a real chore to find the issue?

13. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    May have latest updated Ferrari 360 TCU available this week if CS TCU install can be completed. Possible TO issue to contend with that would delay.

14. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    Thanks to 360 Canuk, I bought the TCU from the ad he mentioned. The place that my Ferrari mechanic has used for firmware updates has gone dark. Does anyone know of a reputable place or person, preferably in the US to do the update to CS firmware?

15. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Eurospares has the best price on new Cs ecu!

16. Qacollision

Qacollision Rookie

Apr 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    hiten adhvaryu
    I had my 2000 replaced by a new from Ferrari challenge tcu. Randy at rmt motors in yorba Linda, CA installed and set parameters for 2600 out the door. The car is transformed to a different animal. I also have a formula dynamics f1 module and Randy said that he noticed an even quicker downshifts 's Than a regular challenge tcu. Not cheap but so worth it.

17. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    TCUs - i think speaking to Eric would get you one for a sensible price.
    Fitting it is easy.
    And perhaps there is a FChat member with a Leo/SD nearish to you who could help set the parameters.

Formula Dyn F1 Module
    I am fascinated to know for sure what it's up to, and if it really works.
    I believe it's spoofing the CAN message Throttle position in order to get the TCU to use a fast shift sequence.

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have one and I believe you are right. The net effect is no different than remapping the TCU. It does work well and they are good to work with. They are well known and respected in the Maserati community.

19. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Try and find an actual CS TCU. I did that on my 360 and it completely transformed the car.

20. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yes I recommend Eric and a CS TCU. I just went for a drive this evening after doing the exhaust solenoid mod a couple weeks ago. Downshifting on right hand bend at speed was incredible! I even had the top up, but man o man the bark and burble was insane. It's almost like it backfired. It's the extra flow from the valves being open and my K&N filters. And a little airflow stall over the intake scoop and the turn. It sounds like a track car on stock muffler with valve mod. Wicked racey sound and not too loud.