Ceramic coat or powder coating for exhaust tail section/tips | FerrariChat

Ceramic coat or powder coating for exhaust tail section/tips

Discussion in '360/430' started by Speedracer800, Jun 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I'm finally wrapping up these modified F430 pipes to fit the 360 with the 430 back box / silencer.

Wondering if anyone has powder coated their tail pipe sections before on the original exhausts just for esthetic purposes? Or would it be absolutely necessary to Ceramic cost because of the heat?

Even a brand new oem exhaust starts to look pretty shotty after little time so I want to do something with these pieces before installing to keep them looking good. I'd love to hear about what you guys have done.
    Thanks for taking a look.

2. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Perhaps Ceramic coating isn't a good idea at all in terms of heat retention within the pipes? Could this cause the valves to fail??

3. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Either will work. I would go for ceramic coating as it insulates the heat and acts as a barrier for corrosion. The temps created shouldn't have an effect on the valves' operation.

4. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the reply..

That was my original thought as well but I thought I read somewhere about powder coating these with some success as well which would cost less and offer up added color/finish options. I just didn't think powder coating could withstand the temperature..?

5. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    #5 Speedracer800, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a couple pictures of the exhaust sections compared to the original Challenge exhaust parts I used to build the fixtures from. The Challenge pipes are for sale now if anyone is interested? I am planning on putting together a couple additional pairs of these to offer here. I tig welded these together and they fit perfect.

The outfit doing the ceramic / powder coating can do the tip portion in a different color than the rest of the pipes which might look really good.. Perhaps flat black pipes with titanium color tips?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Those welds look pretty good... In fact they look very professional!
    Have you come up with a sum for modded tips? Might be a few here that would be interested.

7. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you. Yes, I'm working on costing them right now. I'll build a few sets for people interested for sure. I'll know more in the coming week or so then I'll post a thread in the classified section here with prices. I've got a few sets of the tips now as well as silencers and all the necessary clamps, hardware and gaskets to provide a complete "kit" as well.

8. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    I would check how hot the tips get and how that compares to the curing temperature for powder coating. Powder coating is a plastic that is melted onto the metal substrate.

Good luck!

9. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    From what I can find out it seems like the cure temp for powder coating is around 400 degrees. When I ask the powder coating shop about this they say.. "it depends on temp".. Exactly your point. Obviously headers are much hotter than tips. They don't recommend powder coating for temps over 350 degrees.

I wish I would have checked the temp of the pipes before taking everything apart again.. I could have gotten my hands an infrared thermometer or something like this to check it at operating temperature. :/

I'll be taking the parts to the powder coating shop tomorrow (hopefully) and I'll discuss with him again but they also offer ceramic coating and my thought is I'll play it safe and go with that.. Even though not as many color / finish choices etc.

10. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    It has been raining every day (predicted for the next ten days) where I am otherwise I would take my 360 out do some runs and take temp readings IR and Analog for you.

Good Luck!

11. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I appreciate the thought..that would have worked great. I intend to do that same little experiment once I get my first set installed on my own car.

For now, I just went with the safe play and having them do the pipes in mat black ceramic. I think the black tips will look pretty cool but worst case scenario I could slide on some chrome covers etc to dress it up a bit if necessary.

12. Speedracer800

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    #12 Speedracer800, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017