seam separation on spider top | FerrariChat

seam separation on spider top

Discussion in '360/430' started by Steelton Keith, Jun 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    #1 Steelton Keith, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Cannot tell where this seam is located. Can you get a better overall picture?

3. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    If this is on the rear "wings" they are kept taunt by the ecstatic bands that run through the top to keep the ribs folding back during the top going down. You should replace the elastic and that should fix the material from separating and pull the ribs back like they should.

4. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
  5. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    thanks everyone. will search more...i tried search function prior to posting this thread. will also try for better picture. I can see the elastic band.

6. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I had the same problem with my top last year, it was a snapped cable; the dealer fixed it for me. Seemed like an easy fix.

7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Yep. that's it. Thanks everybody. There is about a half inch play in the cable. Seems like it could be tightened somehow?

8. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    The cable does not get stretched. It snaps. You can get a replacement from Ricambi if you want to DIY.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

9. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    That does. It agree with what I was told by the top convertible shop in the D.C. area. They said that mine has also stretched and they even tried to adjust it but there was not sufficient ability to tighten given the amount. I've not done anything about it in the 3 1/2 years I've had the car and it has caus d no issues, even in washing.

10. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I've thought about just letting it go too...don't see any downside other than unsightly roof spine line. It seems as thought the designer of the cable provided for a tension tightening sleeve, but it seems to be locked tight.

11. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    The cables are meant to keep the top aligned when retracting the top.I have seen pictures of other 360's tops damaged by the two sides not retracting at the same time. Be careful as repairing the top is expensive.

12. mdslone

mdslone Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    South
    Full Name:
    FerrariM
    I had what looks to be a similar issue several years ago with a 430. Dealer was able to fix it no problem. It was a cable if I remember right. I am looking back to try and find out

13. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Bigilo. Thanks but don't worry. I have no mechanical skills whatsoever. I leave everything to the professionals. Thanks everyone for chiming in.