p1770 gear engagements with wrong shifts | FerrariChat

p1770 gear engagements with wrong shifts

Discussion in '360/430' started by djempire, Jun 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    I took my F430 a reputable shop today and he pulled the p1770 code on the sd3. Symptoms were dropping into neutral when down shifting. They advised me to have the sensors replaced and system flush. Clutch life is at 67% with 8k on the clock.
    Has anyone addressed this issue by replacing the sensors and flush? Sensors seem expensive at $1300.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Replace them. That is your issue. Not uncommon at all. The price is the price. The shift actuator must be removed to do this which requires removal of the bumper, muffler, and right side converter.

3. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi

Get the sensors from Ricambi for about $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Unfortunately the exchange rate to CAD and shipping makes it a wash.

5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You can't be certain it is the potentiometers until you have plotted a gear change grid, because there are other causes for this.

6. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    #6 djempire, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Serf, second screen shot will do as a guide to indicate actuator is probably OK, so your can mover to pot replacement and actuator bleed with grater confidence.

The gear change grid is created by populating the position of the actuator in all gears by using the selection and engagement position (output of the potentiometers). I made an Excel sheet that creates the graph based on the numbers, but I am on holiday at the moment without access to it. The graph gives a bit of a better oversight into how the actuator is moving and what the pots are reading.

8. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Brilliant information as usual Mark. Thanks for the clarity.

9. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    The pots were changed, the F1 was bled and the tech also updated the TCU with a bit more aggressive changes.
    I picked it up on Friday. Drove for about 5 minutes and immediately it fell into Neutral again. This time it would not go into gear regardless of up or down shift. I did see the revs climb in anticipation of the change. I needed to come to a complete stop in order to engage a gear....this happened 4 times on the highway going home! Placed it in Auto the shifts were extremely lagging and it went into neutral a few times also.

I'm stumped on what it could be but they are owning up to it. I called a flatbed to have it checked by them again. Has this occurred to anyone before?

10. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A few things:

- Was the system bled (not actually a requirement for changing the pots but you mentioned a system flush which I took to be a fluid change)
    - Does the red F1 light in the speedo ever come on and if so are any codes logged?
    - Was a self learn run?
    - For how long does the pump run first thing in a morning?

Can you get your tech to monitor system pressure whilst changing gear a few times.

11. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    From what I understand it was bled. I never did see the F1 light ever light up....not once. However, the CEL lit up briefly after I received it from the tech and went into neutral, it's gone now.
    Not sure if a self-learn was performed. I will ask.
    I hear the pump running normally for about 4-5 seconds when dead cold. It subsequently primes less after that.

12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Geez - did they even test drive it?

13. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    They did say it was test driven for 5 minutes. The issue seems to pop up when it's fully warm. Further tests reveal no error codes. I'll update as I get more information.

14. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    430's have had issues with loose bleed screws on the shift actuator. This allows air into the hydraulic system. When the air gets hot, it expands and causes hydraulic shifting issues like missed shifts and dropping to neutral.

15. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    This may explain the issue when it's on the road for over 10 minutes. Funny, it was bled but perhaps not well enough, or it was skipped altogether.

16. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Just got a call: 1775 gear release failed. Gear Oil is is being changed and bleeding.

17. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    keep us posted i'm having simliar issues

18. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    By similar, is yours falling into Neutral when attempting to upshift from any gear?

19. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    No difference after the fluid change. Can this be coming from a traction control or wheel sensor issue?

20. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Difficult to help with any accuracy over the internet, but have they monitored system pressure during a few gear-changes, or even better whilst you drive? That will give an idea if the pressure is remaining above the minimum level.

N.B. loose bleed screws often lead to fluid flowing out of the overflow tube over time.

21. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Update...one of the actuator fingers was out of alignment. The tech advised that it hasn't dropped out of gear after three test drives. What a relief! Looking forward in getting back on the saddle...pun intended.

22. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That should have showed up during a self learn. Glad it is sorted.

23. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    I believe you're right. He did add that the readout measured about 1mm out of alignment. During cold shifts it would engage normally, as it heats up the variance becomes a bigger problem.

24. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a slight case of that at the moment so need a self-learn run when the car is up to full operating temp. The changes/shifts aren't quite as crisp when hot as warm. Nothing like your issue, though.

25. vmule

vmule Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vito M
    got the p1770 code today on my F430.. I hope it can be fixed easily... it seems a bit hard to troubleshoot