Another recent owner review | FerrariChat

Another recent owner review

Discussion in '360/430' started by I'm 360 Canuck, Jun 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Now that ive had a chance to put some miles (over 1000) on my car (01 360 Modena 6MT), I thought id share my early impressions, although they prob aren't very different than those before me.

1)its quite a driveable car. I find the power to be adequate, and when you are gentle on the accelerator, the gear ratios allow it to be driven within posted speed limits quite readily. Other cars Ive owned, never seemed quite comfortable at staying within speed limits at given rpms. I ve always liked cars that arent brutish…that you can drive as calmly as the situation requires but still have that power available should you need it. It is quite wide, so claustrophobic traffic/parking conditions should be avoided.

2) the transmission is not the smoothest MT ive ever driven. I’ll spin that into a positive and say that its teaching me to a better driver.:) Im perhaps spoiled by german transmissions. 2nd gear can be somewhat notchy in particular. You run out of first gear rather quickly, but 4th/5th are a real joy. in an era of dot-com nerds owning awesome looking cars they are barely able to drive, the aluminum shift gate bucks that stereotype and just has badass written all over it, seemingly saying “youd better have some balls if you think you can drive me”. :)

3)the interior is functional and roomy, albeit a tad quirky (am I the only person that tells first time f-car riders to NOT touch the “STOP“ button or else the car will immediately screech to a halt even at highway speeds?), but I do miss some of the creature comforts…cupholders, GPS NAV, Bluetooth etc .A/c works fine. Visibility is good, other than the front fender humps, the view of the front of the car pretty much ends at the bottom of the windscreen.
    I struggle with the seats (daytonas). Im a bigger guy, but far from huge (6ft, 240lbs), yet I don’t feel quite like I fit in these seats. Im not a particularly tall guy, but I do feel the roofline gets in my point of view quite a bit. The seats themselves are fine in the “seat area”, but for me, quite uncomfortable in the shoulders. They feel stiff and narrow as though they were designed for a diminutive narrow shouldered bicyclist more so than a broad shouldered stocky hockey player :). For that reason, I doubt race seats would be much of a solution for me. Imo, the Gallardo seats are a better design for someone with my proportions, although that cars interior had other negatives. Generally I would say the interior is one of the more underwhelming aspects of this car, but this was no surprise to me, I knew that prior to purchase.

4)ride quality is definitely sport oriented. I don’t find it obscenely low, but I wouldn’t want it any lower or harsher for street use. it’s a sports car, its to be expected. In street use I find handling to be responsive and predictable, but not necessarily forgiving. You are driving the car, it isn’t driving you, or taking care of you. Im a little under whelmed by the braking, but I’ll reserve judgement until after I give it a fluid flush.

5) Appeal: generally the reactions i have gotten from most people have ranged from indifferent to positive. I try to be a good ambassador for the brand. Yes, it has been mistaken for a Corvette before :) I personally love the looks of the car, it grows on me more as time goes by. I still have a soft spot for cars like the Gallardo and Ford GT as well though. I love them all.

6) Sound. This is a hard one for me. The sound deadening of the car is quite effective IMO-which is good and bad. I don’t hear *that much* exhaust noise, in spite of the Tubi exhaust…although im told it is far from quiet for others in the vicinity. In a perfect world, id like more of that sound funneled back to me and less to the environment. I can see how that might sound crazy though.

7) Overall: Overall, it is a fun car that can create quite a bit of buzz based on the marque and its stylish yet modern appearance and attention grabbing sound. It may not be the last or only car I lust for, but its an incredible value for an entry level “exotic” and its hard to not have fun in it. If you ever ridden MX dirt bikes, its like a 2 stroke 125cc that is so much fun to wind up and throw around, even if you could probably handle the bigger, heavier, torquier 250cc 2 stroke bike.

2. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Put some redline 75w90ns gearbox oil in and I bet 2nd gear will be silky smooth.

3. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    I hear you on point 3. I'm 6'6" and find the upper portion of the seat where the bolsters wrap around to form the top of the seat sits uncomfortably against my collar bones.
    I'm hoping to source either some 360 or 458 carbon seats which will also hopefully give me a lower seat position and improve the sight below the top of the windscreen where i tend to "scooch" down a little.

Compared to driving older F cars though it's a dream. I have almost to fold myself in half to drive a Testarossa or 308.

4. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Nice review glad you are enjoying the car. It is funny about the corvette comment. I heard a couple guys near me the other day debating whether my 430 was a Porsche or a corvette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    It's a good review and quite spot on. But that someone would mistake it for a Vette! My oh my. Would never happen in Europe =)

The exhaust note of a 360 with some upgrades to mufflers, headers and cats is something to die for. Not many cars come close to it. Not even other FCar models mostly.

And the exterior look grows on you like said. It looks more beautiful every day and ages extremely well.

6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Mikael, around these parts, every 3rd sports car is a vette. Great cars, but far too ubiquitous.

One of the vette comments was actually pretty fun....I was checking out of a store that wasn't very busy...2 cashiers were chatting and glanced out the window at my car in the empty parking lot. One says "wow, look at that sweet vette!"...she then stepped outside to take a closer look. About 10 seconds later she runs back in shouting to her coworkers "holy crap, ITS A FREAKING FERRARI!". As I was the only person in the store, I had to spend the next 10 minutes answering questions about it ;)

7. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Haha! Nice one. The reactions seem to be quite similar around the world. It's just a car and more than a car. At the same time! Kinda mythic to those not familiar with it.

8. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I drive mine with the windows down >90% of the time (rain being the general exception), this helps me listen to the sound of the Tubi howling about.

As such, I almost never listen to the radio.

9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1. I enjoy this car a lot too. It's fast enough for me.

I never listen to the radio and drive with the my window down.
    Then after a while my wife would ask me to put the radio on.
    I would and when she realizes that she can't hear squat she'll beg me to turn it off.

If it gets too hot inside the cabin I sometimes put the AC on with my window still down so both of us are comfy.

Keep on enjoying!