Shopping for my first Ferrari | FerrariChat

Shopping for my first Ferrari

Discussion in '360/430' started by dc3843, Jul 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    Hello all! I'm David, I live in Dallas, TX. After years of drooling and messing with other cars, I'm ready to take the plunge and buy my first Ferrari. I'm interested in the F430, its a beautiful car, the maintenance seems reasonable, I fit (6'3"), and its an all around cool car. As I've been shopping, I'm seeing HUGE price differences in difference cars. They could be similar cars with similar miles, options, color, etc... and one dealer will have one for 102k, the other car will be 138k. Why the differences in prices? I want to pay cash for a car, obviously the lower the check the happier I'll be, but I want to get a good one. Seems dealerships really price these cars pretty high. I saw a great Burgundy one for sale in New Jersey, but when I called on it it was sold. Figures since it was priced at 98k. Any thoughts? Any places I should look for cars besides ebay, cars.com and auto trader?

2. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    I used car gurus pretty extensively in my search. Good luck in your search! I just made my dream come true with an 07 F430 Spider and it's amazing! I did notice dealers prices were always much higher than others (independent dealers and private parties). Also, some have said on here that traditional Rosso corso w tan interior go for more in the market.

3. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    Congrats! Yea, I haven't decided on a color yet, and having a hard time deciding on Vert or hart top. Guess I'll know when I set my eyes on that perfect car.

4. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
  5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi David,

What you will find with all Ferrari's is a vast difference in condition, service and in some cases, options. It's hard to find 2 cars exactly the same to compare prices.

Also, I'm biased as it's my business, but be careful regarding sticky parts. You will hear "no sticky parts" yet that can mean many things and I don't want to infomercial your thread so contact me if you wish to discuss.

Good luck in your search! :)

6. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Research and window shopping is as fun as the purchase! If you're going to drive the car, go for a higher mileage well maintained car which will list for a lower price and might have fewer headaches than a garage queen. I wish I had gotten one of these sooner as I always thought the maintenance would kill me and heard all these things about mileage killing value etc. While there's a certain amount of truth to those, the 430s are much more reliable than previous generation f-cars.

I would think you could find a clean, well maintained car with under 30k miles for under $100k ( though it might be more for "resale red")

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    David - Having purchased a '08 F430, I would recommend you take your time. As Dave said, there is a vast difference in condition and a "cheap" car may not be so cheap in the long run. Service is a major factor to consider and honestly I would look for a 2008 (I admit, I am biased). Sometimes the cars for sale by a dealer come with a year warranty that cover the major powertrain components. This can then be renewed on a yearly basis.

Regardless, there is a lot of information here and I suggest to review as much as you can and make an informed decision when purchasing. Have fun!

8. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    Thanks guys!

9. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    #9 Kruegmeister, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Just went thru this.
    If a Ferrari dealer list as Certified you'll have less Worries and I think a year of the Service Plan. So the piece of mind can be worth it at 100K+
    Saying that I did not buy Certified but mine turned out well.
    I used the same as others listed. Additionally this Carfax list added a couple not found on eBay etc... https://www.carfax.com/Used-Ferrari-F430_w723
    If you get Vaglink then cut and paste the link in your browser window or hit the Continue to Carfax button

Good luck on your search and if its not certified then absolutely get a PPI

10. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    Thanks! I've been hearing that the shifting on the 430 is a little slow and rough, considering stepping up my price point to the 458. Any thoughts?

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    A 458 is a DCT - totally different technology to a 430.

A 458 is absolutely nuts! But, a 430 shifting slow is a 430 with something wrong :)

12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yeah if you can do the 458 go for it. the shifting in a f430 is slow in traffic but great under speed. my 2 cents is buy less car than you can afford. that way you won't have as much stress about driving it or things going wrong, etc. as you have plenty of cushion. if you max out your budget you may have more headaches.

13. LittleTino

LittleTino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 14, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I read all the criticisms of the F1 in the 430 and was really concerned about going that route, until I drove one. It's a little quirky starting in 1st and I am sure nowhere near as brilliant as the DCT in the 458. But I love my 430 and have no desire to upgrade based off the transmission alone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

14. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Drive them!
    I had my heart set on a 430.
    Internet shopped for months.
    Found the perfect "not advertised yet" one by cold calling dealers and joining FCA.
    Went with check book in hand.
    It was mine.
    Then I sat in it for my first time, and then in some GT cars they had. And my head spun.

Go for some test drives and make sure you like. I am now 599/California shopping after a decade and a half of virtually chasing the mid 8.

Good luck!!

15. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason

Drive them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  17. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Test drive them. Totally different experiences.

18. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I won't piggy off everyone, but will agree that if you look around, good prices are out there. Mine was decently optioned with CCB, upgraded stereo and radar, ect but the dash vents popped out (pretty common with f430 sadly) but other than that, beyond maintained. I'm talking I have a 2 inch binder from every hand that touched the car. It had 29k miles but very well serviced with a new clutch, new engine mounts, fresh fluids and super clean paint for the millage. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it is broke and being expensive doesn't make it a gem. I looked at 5 all at 100k ish and couldn't believe the condition .....in a bad way. Seeing in person is a must if you ask me.

19. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I just bought an '07 F430 after having shopped around for a month or so. There is a huge variation in options, condition, and the degree to which owners/dealers are stuck on fantasy pricing. Remember: a thing isn't worth what a seller has invested, it's worth what a buyer is willing to pay and this is absolutely a buyer's market. Don't compromise and don't fall in love with any particular car; there's always another one out there for you.

I was fortunate to locate a car in excellent shape (no 10-year old vehicle is "perfect" no matter what the seller says) with exactly the options I wanted and, with some negotiation, was able to get the car at a reasonable price. Not as low as I'd have liked, naturally, but not a bad deal at all.

Stick with it, don't get impatient and jump at the "wrong" car, and you'll soon be in the right F430 for you. Good luck and try to enjoy the process.

20. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Exactly what corsair66 said. This is even more aggravating when you cheapest of the cheap prices. Like I said above, the ones I was looking at for 100k all had chips, swirls ect. I looked at 6 like this and when I saw the current one I bought, I was in disbelief and requested it be brought into the sun so I could really see it. Along the way, the gf said buy the 5th one: from a distance clean but up close 5 chips in each fender, door seal ripped in 2 places, drivers door not even on the door correctly, what looked like salt water was in the air ducts, popped dash vents, rattling exhaust, Oem headers, and I could go on. That car sold at auction for 98k I believe (if anyone reads this, I think it was an 05 with 19k miles ). I paid a hair more for mine in prestige condition for an 06 with 30k miles.

If you don't like to shop around, the ones I saw in the 115k up range were nice and 125k range were pretty much show pieces. I wanted best bang for the buck I could actually drive.

21. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    yea I wanna drive whatever I buy. and I drive my cars damn near every day no matter what they are. But I am gonna drive both and see what I like the best.

22. lethetton

lethetton Rookie

Oct 11, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Lee Ethetton
    I had two 355's and at 6', they were a tight fit. I sold my last one to my mechanic when it was due for the 30,000 mile maintenance and waited a year but really wanted another one. I spent two months on Cargurus getting to know the market and looking for the options I wanted at a reasonable price. I found a small dealer in Dallas that had a 2007 in trade at a great price with 10,000 miles and all the options I wanted. As you said, they prices were all over the place and the only downside was that someone kept the manuals. My caution is that whoever had it never put it in neutral at lights and although the computer said the clutch was at 50%, I had it replaced and it was almost to rivets! Cost about $5k to change. I just love my car and have put 6,000 miles on it in 14 months. I adore the newer ones but, frankly one of the best things about a Ferrari is the folks in the club and others owners that you meet at activities. It has been a rewarding experience both driving one and meeting a great group of people, men and women.

23. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    I am currently looking seriously also. It seems very difficult to locate a car with anything close to complete maintenance records. I am searching for an 07-08 spider with less than about 15k miles. Haven't seen anything yet that had documentation of f1 fluid flush, since apparently it isn't listed verbatim in the maintenance schedule. The larger dealers (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, etc., don't seem to be diligent about obtaining records on trade-ins. And, yes, prices seem to vary wildly. I am hoping to purchase for $115k - 128K. Am I crazy?

24. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Certifiable.

Kidding. I think that's about right based on my recent search. And purchase. Maybe slightly more miles around the $115k mark though.

25. Ahmed_Z

Ahmed_Z Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2010
    Washington DC area
    Full Name:
    Ahmed
    I'm selling my 2007 with 16k miles and have all the maintenance records =) it just isn't a Spider.

When I was searching for a car, I knew where some of the cars were serviced, but when I reached out, some dealers would not share the records. I understand privacy, so I asked to simply give me the info without the owner's information and some rudely refused (not even just telling me over the phone if the manifolds were replaced). Basically, the documentation is lost forever unless you can get the previous owners to get them from the dealer. A car's maintenance history should follow the car, period. When I found my car at Ferrari of Atlanta, they gladly blacked out the previous owners info and handed me all the documents since the car was new.