Pioneer AVH-X7800BT upgrade | FerrariChat

Pioneer AVH-X7800BT upgrade

Discussion in '360/430' started by Corsair66, Jul 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I'm thinking of going with the Pioneer AVH-X7800BT (I don't care for the Clarion) as a replacement for my car's original Becker head unit.

My main question is:

- Which adaptor cable is required to interface with the OEM harness?

I'd also like to add a backup camera to the setup and really don't want to drill the rear bumper. Can anyone recommend a camera that'll take power from one of the license plate lights?

This will be my next project once the car gets home from the shop with a new clutch, suspension bushings, etc.

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Ken, Im doing the same upgrades to my 2006 F430 Spider and will share my DIY info here soon.

For starters, to answer your question, based on what I read here you will need these to upgrade the crappy Becker car stereo head unit:

Metra 70-1784 Radio Wiring hardness connector adapter:
    Metra 40-VW10 Factory antenna to US antenna adapter.

I'm done installing my back up camera system and will share that here soon.
    To answer your question - you dont need to drill anything. Use 3M double back tape. Super strong tape to attach back up camera to the bumper. Ive used many times with no issues. Its called 3M Scotch Outdoor Mounting tape 411P.

I will also be installing front view camera to avoid scraping my front bumper when parking.
    DIY post coming soon.

Hope that helps.

Dan

3. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #3 Corsair66, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Dan,

Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing your DIY posts.

I've begun to consider going with a double-din unit (such as the Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX) in a custom enclosure as shown in the attached photo. Not sure if it's worthwhile, but it's definitely intriguing.

Glad to hear that drilling the rear bumper is unnecessary for the backup camera. How did you pass the cable(s) inside? Through one of the license plate lights?

My car is still in the shop (a 1.5-2 week project has now exceeded 3 weeks waiting for parts), so this upgrade remains in an unscheduled hold.

Ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Ken,

I too considered a double din HU but the aftermarket head unit will have to stick out a little far out to clear the center dash vents, I wouldnt be happy with that so I plan to install a single din unit.

I did a lot of research and I plan to use Alpine CDE-164BT.

On my back up camera I used a dedicated TFT 7" LCD monitor mounted in the center console via its own stand alone stand. This is what I used to display back up camera video, and will also accept another video input for my next progject - front view camera.

Running the back up camera wire is tricky, I spent hours trying to figure out how to run wires from engine compartment to center console on a Spider. I will show soon where I ran the wires.

The back up camera power wires will tap power from driver side reverse lights. Its the inner connector. Positive is Red/Black wire, ground is grey wire. You tap another 12V from the same red/black wire for your head unit to switch display to back up camera video input automatically when you put your car in reverse.

I like that custom center console enclosure you have on your photo. Can you share where you got it from?

Will post back up camera DIY soon.

Thanks.

Dan

5. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Dan,

I also considered a pop-up double-din screen, but didn't care for the interference with the dash vents. I need my a/c here in Orlando!

That custom enclosure isn't mine (I'm still considering it), but I grabbed the photo from the site of the local shop that made it. See their page here: Custom ? Ferrari | Maserati | Lamborghini | Mercedes | Orlando Custom Audio

I'm really looking forward to having a backup camera installed. I never had one prior to about four years ago and now I'm completely spoiled... :)

Ken

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing custom enclosure source info. Will check it soon.

I'm very busy with work.....but I will try and post back up camera installation DIY soon.

Similar to you - I cannot live without back up camera. Always worried about backing into something, people, animals, light posts, bicycle, kids, pets, etc, so this upgrade is on top of my priority list. Finally done. Will share soon.

Speaking of work, I better get back to work!

Will be posting DIY here soon.

Dan