How long does it take to drain battery? | FerrariChat

How long does it take to drain battery?

Discussion in '360/430' started by tvoismo, Aug 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    I did not put any battery tender on the car and I am away total of 16 days. ( did not put on the alarm ). Is it a good chance the battery will be dead when I come back? I can ask someone to start the engine and let it run for 30 min, but I hope I do not have to.

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

2. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I've left mine for 14 days with no tender (due to the weather rather than being away!)
    Started first turn of the key.
    As long as your battery is in decent shape I'd think 16 days would be fine

3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    How big is a box? It really depends on the specs of the battery, its condition, its initial level of charge, the ambient conditions, etc.

4. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    really depends, at first when my window switches were bad, battery only lasted a week.

Now I can go around 2 weeks and still be okay...havent really pushed it though. If I am away for longer, I will disconnect the battery.

5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    At 16 days, I would say your chances are about the same as a coin toss.

6. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    So I should ask someone to start it and let it run for 20-30 min ?

7. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Are you serious? Ask someone to start and let it run for a time? These engines are made to start and immediatly drive, not to run idle and turn of again. Why don't you use the cut off switch in the trunk?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G3121 met Tapatalk

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tor- Or buy a battery maintainer. They are not expensive.

Unless someone understands Ferraris, especially an F1 Ferrari, not sure I would want them to fiddle with it. If the battery dies, use the battery disconnect switch and then charge it with a fill size battery charger. Reconnect and after a couple of drives, she should have done all her relearning and be fine. Or use this procedure and she will come back quicker.

Run cycle.

Turn battery disconnect switch off and turn off all accessories (stereo, A/C, etc).
    Let engine get completely cold or wait at least 30 minutes.
    Reconnect disconnect switch.
    Disarm immobilizer with the fob.
    Insert key in ignition and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition to on and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition off and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition on, wait for Check OK, and start. May have to push fob again if 120 seconds have elapsed since last fob actuation.
    Let idle with no input whatsoever for 10 minutes.
    Turn accessories back on and drive gently for 10-15 minutes at least.
    You will have to insert stereo code, if required.

9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I wouldn't bother. Deal with a discharged battery (if it occurs) and buy a charger for your next trip.

10. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Like it was said, a coin toss. Longest I went between driving mine was about 10 days, had no issues. Easiest would be to just drop one of the windows an inch, open the frunk, and turn the battery cut off switch if you're in a location where you consider your car to be safe. Close the frunk and door and lock the car via the physical key.

When you're back, open the door with the window dropped an inch so it doesn't catch on the rubber sealing, and open the frunk with the manual wire-handle tool and go enable the battery.

Then there's a small procedure to follow. This allows your engine to re-adapt and fill the ECU's with the values deemed fine for your car to fire and run its engine-magic :)

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Think it will also depend on the condition of your battery. My Cali was "grumpy" after a few days off the tender, especially in cold weather. Took a few extra seconds to ignite. After a new battery earlier this year, no problems. I've gone as long as 10 days off tender, while traveling, since we live in an old house and I don't trust the electrics. I then re-attach the tender when I get back from travels, and it's usually back to green within a few hours. Fires up immediately.
    T

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I would be more concerned about all the gremlins that will pop up by low voltage...I left mine off for a week or 2 and got all kinds of erroneous lights. On top of that, since our alternators are "not the greatest", I wouldn't want to stress it. Why would you not just turn the cutoff switch?

I'd get a maintainer the minute you get home, hit the kill switch and charge it for a day before driving

13. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    The button( wheel ) in the trunk ? Turn of the battery is the best way ? The car has been shut of for 8 days now.

14. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Yes, that's the best way.
    Open the drivers window 2 centimeters
    Open the trunk
    Turn of the battery
    Close the trunk
    Lock the car
    Enjoy your vacation
    Come back
    Open your car with the key
    Open your trunk with the cable under your steering wheel
    Connect the battery again by turning the wheel
    Enjoy your car again
    :)

15. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Initially I was un-aware of the procedure. When I received my car, the battery was weak and would not start the car. Then I was getting some check engine lights after charging the car and running it.

Once I discovered the procedure from a Ferrari bulletin (posted by tazandjan) I shut my car off over night and followed this procedure the following day. It really ran better/smoother and without any check engine lights. I am convinced it is worth doing!

16. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    My car runs like crap for at least 100miles after the cutoff switch has been disconnected as it seemed to relearn itself. Another sort of "gremlins".

There's no getting around it. Buy a trickle charger/maintainer.

17. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor

People here on the forum starts the car 5-15 min and let it run idle before taking a trip to "warm up the car". What could go wrong doing this ?

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That's strange. I've had my cut off switch activated for extended periods of time, I've tried both the "let it run for 10 minutes" and the "published Ferrari reset sequence" and have had the same result.

19. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Ya, I noticed it most when I had it switched off prior to my emissions testing appointment. The tech kept sending me out for more drives because the monitors or whatever they called them wouldn't set. So I know it was likely at least 200kms before everything was "ok". It felt like it was running a little sloppy before that. Now, I don't use the disconnect switch for anything less than a month of inactivity.

20. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    #20 Shinigami, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    I've read in a few places that once the ECU's have been cleared, it can take a while for the car to re-learn the best timings etc. Aldous Voice has posted an article about it over here: https://aldousvoice.com/2013/01/16/ferrari-360-ecu-reset/

It shows a procedure to be followed to help the car get back up to speed once the battery has been disconnected for a sufficiently long time. In any case, it looks like a long process which I personally have not yet had to use.

p.s. perhaps the fuel being offered for RedNeck vs I'm 360 Canuck has something to do with one car performing differently over the other once the battery cut off switch has cleared the ECU's? Just trying to think outside the box...

21. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    However I am not an engineer, I work at Bosch Automotive. When I ask a technician here, if they would warm up their cars by running it idle for about 15 minutes they ask me if I am a complete fool. An engine is not made for that, specially high performance engines are not.

If I ask why, the give me a 3 hour explanation, which I am not writing down here :)

But in the end they will say: start it, drive it immediately, maximum 400rpm till the oil is at minimum 80 degrees.

22. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    Ok. Thanks. Ill get the tender. :)

23. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    Battery update.

The car stood still for almost 4 weeks, just started up two weeks in for 20 min, started on the first try.

I have now gotten myself a ctek battery tender. Just waiting for the cigarette plug to use instead for hooking it up to the battery.

Thanks for inputs!