Exhaust rattle & dealership | FerrariChat

Exhaust rattle & dealership

Discussion in '360/430' started by 348Marky, Aug 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello fellas,

My 2007 F430 is in for its first service since I bought it last year. All seems ok except a very small oil drip/leak from the 'front of the engine area'. Tech reckons it'll be ok to monitor as looking at 12 hours to investigate/fix 😳

Anyway, my question to you guys is this....I asked them to investigate an exhaust rattle, to which they have come back with the tail pipe area. The only options given were to replace the endpipes (£2400 each side) or a complete new performance exhaust (Ferrari) for £4800. I've searched plenty & can't see anywhere there could be a rattle from that couldn't be repaired? I've been told it's from a bracket & it's not possible to repair. They promised to email me a photo of the area which hasn't arrived, in case I'm confused as the tail pipe!

I'm a little annoyed it's not covered by the approved warranty anyway, but any suggestions guy's?

Cheers! :)

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Pending photos to confirm the exact location you are talking about, it COULD be spot welded, but expect it to reoccur.

Personally, I would spend the money on the OEM upgraded Sport exhaust.

Ask for a discount on the Sport exhaust kit or the labor, you wont be unhappy.

As for the warranty, nothing other than the org 3 year warranty would have covered it...

if that helps at all.

GL, will keep an eye out for the photo!

S

4. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    #4 StickBreitling, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mine had a rattle on start up due to a snapped exhaust bracket. After the engine bay warmed up the rattle would go.

The tech showed a photo of the broken bracket. Bought a new aftermarket one for 65 quid and no rattle after that. It's pretty easy to stick your hand and feel around the exhaust bracket for a break. The weak point is under the bracket where the join is.

Picture is of my left exhaust bracket (picture seems to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    My guess is the exhaust brackets from my take of what you said. I would see what you can get them down on the Sport exhaust, and get yourself a set of our exhaust brackets, or Capristo exhaust mounts.

Ferrari F430 Exhaust Support Brackets

6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    IMO, Dealers aren't great for finding creative and cost effective solutions, they are all about re and re and selling parts.

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Bin the exhaust brackets. 360's don't have them and they have a much bigger heavier muffler. The top bow spring can easily support the weight. The brackets break because they can't flex. Same reason headers fail on 430's, exhaust is rigid. Most folks just re-weld them good and strong making the problem even worse.
    The solution cost's zero $.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Here I go but there are people at the dealers who work outside the box in your best interests. The one you may be most appreciative of is their lead tech. We have such a person at our dealership and I am grateful. I can't speak for the junior techs because I just don't know them. I just keep my fingers crossed that the lead guy is micro managing them and that they are fans of the brand and of course very skilled with their hands.

You guys with choices who don't live on an island with one dealership really need to be making connections and selecting the best choice. The region section of F-Chat is great for this as are your local FCA events. That's the Ferrari Club of America boys. Join up and subscribe here too. It will pay back in spades!

9. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the replies folks. I'm still awaiting the photos, so will post when I receive them. I understood it was the tail pipe section that was rattling, & have looked at the fabspeed pipes @ £2075 here in the U.K., but also wondering about the x-section & pipes for £3700 to get rid of the white powder problem too.

Interesting point about getting rid of the brackets entirely....I hadn't even thought that would be an option?

10. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

In my opinion and its been reported as well, this bracket rite here is one of reasons or possibly the main the reason exhaust manifolds fail. These dont allow room for expansion and thats why these and manifolds crack. Mine were both cracked so I took mine off

11. mick996r

mick996r Rookie

Oct 13, 2014
    Northants UK
    Full Name:
    Michael Panter
    Mark, I assume you are fully aware of the factory exhaust manifold issues on the 430 / 360. If not just do a search on here, or google it. The stock manifolds will crack, and can ingest pre-cat material into the engine on the valve overlap. Which is very expensive damage to the internals of the engine. The only recourse is to replace them with aftermarket items, which may invalidate your warranty. I had my stock manifolds checked by Ed at Christian Lewis (Northampton), mine were OK but I still had them replaced by the A.P. items from Fabspeed and fitted with the Capristo mounting brackets at the rear which allows expansion & contraction. You also have to get the manifolds insulated by plasma coating here in the UK.
    As you appear to reside in Oxford may I suggest you get down to Christian Lewis and get Ed to have a look and advise you. I have had my 430 for almost 3 years and Ed is the only tech to touch it, I can thoroughly recommend them. Good luck and best regards.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on the Capristo germany web site. It shows the Capristo expansion brackets and the Ferrari brackets you need to remove once you fit their expansion set.
    All the brackets are available so dont understand why it cannot be fixed or replaced. You sure it is not the valves on the tail pipes are not making the rattle noise, you can fit a tension spring to them to stop it.

13. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the input guys. I've not expected photos of the offending area over the weekend, but I did quiz the person I am dealing with who asssued me it was the 'tail pipe' and not the valve.

I am aware of the headers issue thanks �� This appears to be unrelated from what I'm being told. If it is purely the tailpipe fixing bracket, I'll not be too impressed with them attempting to sell me almost £5000 worth of replacement!

I'll update when they send them through.

Ps, thanks for the recommendation for Christian Lewis ��

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the rattle is inside the tail pipe thenn it can be fixed, these pipes are very thick and heavy so get it cut open and weld up what is causing the problem. Dont drop it on your foot as it will break your toe, its that solid.

15. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson Rookie

Jun 12, 2017
    Norwich England
    Full Name:
    Mark Anderson
    Get it round to Ed Blasi at Christian Lewis, the best in the business, Mark

16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    As said a tail pipe or bracket or whatever it is can easily be repaired. I would want to see the problem before paying anything.

17. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #17 348Marky, Aug 15, 2017
    So, photo has arrived with the description:

"Please find attached picture of exhaust. The internal spring clamp between the two brackets has failed, causing rattle.

We cannot weld as the support needs to be flexible."

So....thoughts guys? (Pic below hopefully)

18. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry for the pic rotation.....of someone could sort it I'd appreciate it! Thank you! :)

19. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I cant quite understand what their telling you. I can make it out in the pic. Maybe someone else will have a better idea

20. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    #20 JaguarXJ6, Aug 15, 2017
    This is the area. If they are saying this bracket is the cause, I fail to see why you would require new end pipes as these look like there are bushing or washer material in between. Tightening or replacing should be a easy, DIY job.

I don't see visible cracks and you can weld in this area.

StickBreitling is showing the picture we would have expected to see!

Are they trying to pull a fast one here?

21. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    What am i missing here ? Its just a length of channel strip thats come loose ?

22. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Maybe one of the spring clips that attach under the crossbar and to the pipe clamp in this pic broke? Either way you can get a used tailpipe assembly on EBay for about $350 per side and bolt it right on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This is concerning me too.

24. 348Marky

348Marky Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what spring clips you mean? Unfortunately the car is still with the dealer so I can't look. I'm not going to get them to go ahead with the work, but I want to sort the annoying rattle when I get it back from them (if it ever comes back! lol).

25. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    In the pictures above there are two pieces of metal that attach underneath the crossbars tying the pipes together on top and bottom. Those pieces of metal extend down one pipe and are secured under a clamp. In the picture of your pipes, inside the red box you can see the end of the piece of metal on the left side under the crossbar. However since they took the picture from the wrong side you can't see whether or not those bent metal "springs" are cracked/broken. I believe those pieces of metal are meant to absorb vibrations and if they are cracked/broken it would almost certainly cause it rattle in the pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk