High-effort clutch pedal-- normal? | FerrariChat

High-effort clutch pedal-- normal?

Discussion in '360/430' started by basscase415, Aug 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    My recently-purchased '02 gated 360 Spider is still on its original clutch.

The clutch pedal is quite firm, and it catches near the top. I got used to it quickly, but the stiffness and high catch point make it a little harder to be smooth. Not to mention it makes driving the car in creeping-traffic scenarios a little more of an ordeal (not that I'm in that situation often).

Overall the high-effort clutch seems somewhat out-of-synch with the other control weights in the car (light steering, light-to-moderate-resistance shifting, etc).

Is this likely due to it being on an original/half-worn clutch, or is this just how all 360s tend to be? I've seen some threads that indicate that a new OEM clutch (or going Kevlar) might improve pedal effort/feel. If so it would be something to look forward to-- to balance out the expense if nothing else!

Thanks.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those are symptoms of a clutch that will soon need to be replaced. On late Ferraris as the clutch wears the linkage leverage goes non-optimal and the symptom is what you are experiencing. Might be some freeplay adjustment possible to make it a bit better and eke out a bit more clutch life, but get ready for a new clutch in the near future.

3. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    #3 360+Volt=Prius, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    I agree with taz. Not normal. Sounds like near time for new clutch and TOB.

360's Hydraulic clutch to my knowledge isn't adjustable.

Mine begins to engage at ~1/4 way up. (3/4 depressed). Also (relatively) easy to depress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    Thanks. This makes me almost look forward to having to replace the clutch.

5. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#5 LorenzoR, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Look at this link if it works....https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi11uLE0NXVAhXLLyYKHRKDADg4ChAWCFkwCA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ferrarichat.com%2Fforum%2F360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group%2F546728-adjusting-clutch-pedal-travel-mechanical-gearbox.html&usg=AFQjCNFcyS_4pQVHIQjiHdKJtvsJdsjNhQ, im going to double check mine tomorrow. I have almost an inch of play at the top, then it begins to disengage as i press the pedal. Once im more than halfway, maybe 2/3 im fully disengaged. So my full engagement is towards the top. And if i remember correctly, John who is in that link has a 09 with 5k miles on it and his is the same. Maybe he,ll chime in

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You can always try bleeding it and see if it helps..

7. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

Good point curt.

Any other signs of worn clutch when driving? Slipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    No, it seems fine under full load in top gear, no slipping detected.

I'm curious how long it will take to get through the rest of the clutch, considering it already has 15 years and 35k miles on it.

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    sign of a need for a new clutch