My car has lost its bark | FerrariChat

My car has lost its bark

Discussion in '360/430' started by JustinSpain, Aug 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JustinSpain

JustinSpain Karting

May 27, 2015
    Manilva, Spain
    Full Name:
    Justin Aldridge
    About a couple of months ago I realised that my car wasn't starting up like it used to. It used to literally bark into life. Now it sort of eases its way into life.

The Ferrari mechanic thought it was the lambda sensor which was giving an error code and possibly a faulty oil pressure sensor. I had both replaced, he checked the car over and said it was fine. But it's not.

Symptoms are:

1. The car doesn't "bark" into life when its cold. It's much more subdued.
    2. When cold and shifting down at slow speeds it sounds like the engine will stall, but doesn't.
    3. The car sounds a bit different.
    4. I feel like it has less power.
    5. The car did actually stall on me yesterday when hot. It's an F1 and has never happened before.
    6. I get the "Slow down" light even when I've just started the car from cold.

I am going to take it to the mechanic again this week and wondered if anyone knows what these symptoms may be caused by. He couldn't "see" anything wrong last time.

I have tried to demonstrate the cold start issue in my video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e-0e66Z94c

And you can hear the un-energetic start up at the beginning of this video too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krSAgD4iy1s

Anyway, any advice or pointers would be really helpful.

The car doesn't feel too bad...but I know how my car felt and sounded before and something just isn't right!

Thanks for any help.

2. irix

irix Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    J.B
    #2 irix, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Hi Justin,

all symptoms you describe are whats going on when the car starts in "limp mode" which means that just one bank is running.

I got it first time a few month ago after 3 years of ownership of my 360 spider. Exaust tube sounds terrible and there is lack of power. It was not that easy to get the lady out of the garage!

Measuring temperatur was 170° for the right bank and just 50° for the left after 15min driving on my way to the dealer. Revs are only around 900rpm!

Root cause issue was the electric or to be more specific the battery. I change to new battery mady by bosch earlier this year and maybe the car doenst like it or mayby i does not fit right and cable it not tight enough. Got some weird start symptoms and after a long trip of 400km it only start with one bank on the next start up. It feels terrible!

Dealer installed new fiamm battery and everything was ok since.

Regards,
    Joerg

3. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Hi Justin

Do you have valves on your exhaust? I might be wrong, but remember seeing a Capristo in one of your former vids. Some of the more expensive systems have valves just like the original 360 system have. If they don't work properly, the problems you describe could appear...

4. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    car is very sensitive to voltage

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Have you ran codes? I just had to upgrade my exhaust ECU for the cold "slow down" issue.

6. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    How old is your battery?

8. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    My guess is battery as well.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  10. JustinSpain

JustinSpain Karting

May 27, 2015
    Manilva, Spain
    Full Name:
    Justin Aldridge
    Thanks everyone. I will make sure the thermocouple and catalyst temp ECU are checked.

The battery is 18 months old, I wouldn't think that was the problem.

11. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    my 360 has this problem also and the car is in the shop as we speak.

12. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    On a cold start, the ECUs runs in open loop which mean that it only uses the engine coolant temperature sensor to regulate fuel delivery. Only until the engine comes to operating temperature that it starts using the O2 sensors to regulate the air/fuel ratio.

Reason stands that the engine coolant temperature is influenced by the ambient temperature.

On the first video, the engine starts in an air conditioned environment; aggressive bark.
    On the second video, the engine starts outdoor in the hot sun; less aggressive bark.

Your car is behaving normally.

13. JustinSpain

JustinSpain Karting

May 27, 2015
    Manilva, Spain
    Full Name:
    Justin Aldridge
    Oh! Do let me know what they say please.

Even when I start the car on a cool morning in my garage it still doesn't jump into life like it used to. And I still get the slow down light on cold start up, which isn't right.

14. Stammler

Stammler Rookie

Aug 6, 2017
    Sweden
  15. JustinSpain

JustinSpain Karting

May 27, 2015
    Manilva, Spain
    Full Name:
    Justin Aldridge
    Thanks for that! Very intersting and helpful :)

16. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    My 360 used to sound as a blast on winter startups.
    On hot summer days startup was quite normal like almost a regular car. Didn't affect performance though.

17. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
  18. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Karting

Oct 3, 2012
    Dublin, ohio
    Full Name:
    George Gianakopoulos
    1998 355 6 speed had engine out service about 1500 miles ago
    The cats were bad so I replaced with Nouvulari and while I was at it added Nouvulari SS exhaust
    Car is running great but last week battery died and it was replaced. The battery had not been holding a charge for quite awhile
    Then got the dreaded " slow down " blinking red on cold start
    Turned battery kill switch off/on, no change
    Gently brought up to running temp, tuned off/on,let cool, waited a day,light persists
    Afraid to do an "Italian tune up" run
    Was thinking ECU vs thermocouple but now with above battery comments, hard to ignore the coincidence of battery replacement then slow down light.
    Old battery was "Braille" brand, placed by prior owner, very expensive,not sure of new one's brand
    Could it be a battery issue?

19. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You might have better luck posting this on the 348/355 forum.

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    An SD will tell you which one is triggering the error. It is likely the thermocouple ECU not the thermocouple itself. You can get one and try it on one side. Swap if it doesn't work. Get a 2nd if neither works. Not too expensive in this case. OR you can get someone to scan it and tell you the answer.

21. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Karting

Oct 3, 2012
    Dublin, ohio
    Full Name:
    George Gianakopoulos
  22. JustinSpain

JustinSpain Karting

May 27, 2015
    Manilva, Spain
    Full Name:
    Justin Aldridge
    I've been meaning to update this thread now that my car is sorted.

With mine the issue was the lambda sensor. I'd previously changed one but it seemed the other failed too and after replacing that, the issue of the slow down light is now resolved :)

The odd thing with mine was that it wasn't throwing any error codes.

billy.gif likes this.
  23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Check the battery negative line where it connects to the bodywork, check the resistance of the cables to the body. My negative line was 2.5 times the resistance of the plus line, we just remade the connections were the line bolted to the body