Just got an F430 and need some help!!!!! | FerrariChat

Just got an F430 and need some help!!!!!

Discussion in '360/430' started by mb2343, Aug 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mb2343

mb2343 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    Hi guys. I am no stranger to the ferrari game..... Previous owning a few 348's and a F355. I finally got an F430. I was really hoping I could get some info on how to tame this beast. I know nothing about the history of the car. I was wondering if I should buy a new F1 relay. Do they go bad without showing any codes or not dropping out of gear? I was on the freeway and after alot of spirit driving and shifting I notice in 6 th the car would feel as if the clutch was slipping a tab. Heres what happened. I depress the pedal 60% in 6th gear and the rpms jump up lest say from 3 and half to 5 and then back to 3ish. when I down shift the rpms would drop then jump and then drop. Almost feel like a slipping clutch. Since I only have 12k miles I doubt its a clutch. I was thinking of just replacing the relay? I have not gotten any codes or any dropping out of gear.

2. rivarama

rivarama Rookie

May 18, 2017
    London
    Before you start buying anything I would have it hooked on an SD3 and checked for a clutch wear or any error codes. If the relay is kaput, it will tell you.
    Although 15k miles is low, it isn't unheard of for a clutch replacement if its been abused.

3. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    no service records, I wonder why.
    sometimes odometers jump back from 45.000 to 15.000 making the service records worthless.

anyway, a typical sign of a worn clutch. something a dealer can easily fix.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How can you depress the clutch 60% if you have an F1?

To me if it were a manual it sounds just like a worn clutch. Its something that the dealer can read easily.

At 12k miles it can be the clutch. It depends on how the car was used. Reversing a lot kills them as well as creeping up hills and stop and go traffic.

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred

Same question on my mind. Maybe he meant the go go pedal?

6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I think hes saying hes pressing the gas pedal down 60% and then he feels slippage

7. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    An f1 trans you hook up an SD3 reader and if it was setup properly will give you % of clutch used

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

8. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    That threw me off too.
    Take it to a shop with an SD3. Answers all questions. Also, if the clutch is bad in F1's, it will typically go into neutral.

Seriously....zero history???

9. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Clutch, nothing else it can be by that description

10. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If the clutch is not in need of replacement it's probably the throwout leaking leaking and spitting hydraulic fluids all over the clutch, which will cost you a new clutch.

Either way you will most likely need a new clutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Yea that's how I read that too.

12. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    An easy thought on the way to the shop, put it in a high gear like 6th at 20 mph and pedal to metal. You will see if the clutch slips very easily if it won't hold the power.

13. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I've heard of that test before...is it harmful to the clutch?

14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    6th gear at 20mph and flooring it is a very bad idea! The test is max torque in a high gear to see if the clutch slips.