Annual Service for 2008 F430 | FerrariChat

Annual Service for 2008 F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by shubchs, Aug 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just noticed that my title for my last thread was not correct. So here is my other question:

I am in a quandary of when to next do the annual service. The previous owner has not done one this year, and the last one was done in April of 2016 (all fluids changed including a clutch bleed). The question is should I have the service done prior to mothballing it in Oct, or should I wait until I resurrect it the following spring? Seems to me it would be smarter to do it prior to mothballing...but then, would it need the service again in the Spring?

2. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I put this question to the general discussion area, but thought it wise to put it here also. If this is redundant please someone let me know!

I am in a quandary of when to next do the annual service. The previous owner has not done one this year, and the last one was done in April of 2016 (all fluids changed including a clutch bleed). The question is should I have the service done prior to mothballing it in Oct, or should I wait until I resurrect it the following spring? Seems to me it would be smarter to do it prior to mothballing...but then, would it need the service again in the Spring?

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Annual service is basically oil. If you have a documented oil change from april 2016 i wld wait until the spring. Thats coming from someone who over services their cars religiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    People have different theories on when to do annual fluid changes.
    I've searched high and low for the "right answer". The closest I came to it, was on Briggs and Strattons website where they recommended doing it before winter for their motors. They believed the negeatives of letting old contaminated fluids sit in a motor over winter was worse than whatever effects winter may have on new fluids. So that's what I go by. In all likelihood, it probably doesn't make much difference either way.

5. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I've been hearing oil and a brake flush every year. Seen F1 flush being mentioned before too but that seems excessive, I could be off on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i also wldnt start up your car and let it idle in the winter. once you put it away let it sit until the first time you can drive it for 15 to 20 mins. I'm sure there will be people who strongly disagree but ive done this for 20 years and alot of my cars dont see more than 100 miles a year.

7. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    +1
    If you have to start it up for whatever reason in the winter, make sure it's fully warm before tucking her back in bed. This enables any condensation to be burned off.

8. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So, I did not do a search just now but I have in the past. As you note,this topic is debated however when I have found something "official" like you found on Briggs and Stratton (for example I think I recall seeing something on a GM website for Corvette, there is consensus to change in the fall for precisely the reason you state. Old fluids can have acid (oil) or water (oil, brakes...). As thee contaminates settle in one spot, they will cause corrosion. I am guessing nothing you will notice over 3-5 years but beyond that. When you transfer the fluid (whichever you are refreshing), it "keep" just as well in the car as the bottle and you avoid the issue of the contaminants sitting in one spot. There is no benefit to waiting until spring. So, I fully agree with your conclusion I just have seen more official information.

9. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
  10. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Figured this would be a good thread to ask and I haven't searched, but when are you guys changing spark plugs? Just hit 30k in my 06. Is that part of annual service. The 08 can't be much different in terms of a timeline.

11. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Spark plugs are part of you 30k Major Service, along with many other things.

12. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My 08 has done 9k so is there a recommended time interval for plug changes?

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Your plugs are only young yet, thing to remember is how long is it since they were last removed so they dont become seized in situ. Taking them out and wire brushing the threads is a good idea every few years

14. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    You're probably right. Although plugs are relatively cheap. If I'm going to be in there pulling out the old ones every couple/few years, I'll spend the $150 and stick new ones in at the same time.
    So many of us spend so much time / $ trying to wring out more power from these engines, may as well just maximize the ponies we all ready have ;)

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would be inclined to wait until spring and change everything at that time. Be sure to include power steering fluid as well. I would probably skip the AC service. Many Ferrari dealers want to recharge the AC and replace the receiver dryer. Not sure why...I'm not aware of any other car manufacturer that makes that recommendation. Maybe a leftover from the Ferraris that require an engine out, where the system has to be evacuated routinely as part of the service?

16. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Many Thanks everybody for your inputs. I think what I'll do is, as the fluids haven't been change since a year and a half ago (Feb 2016), it best to change the fluids prior to mothballing her in Oct time frame. Which leads me to another question...

Any recommendations for a mechanic who can check the car over and change the fluids in the Twin Cities area (Minneapolis-Saint Paul MN). Some outfit that is truly meticulous?? For major service I imagine I will send the car to Chicago. And, are there some good thought about Continental in Chicago?

I'll also post that last paragraph as a new thread to get more action hopefully.

17. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I believe every 6 years is the interval time for major on F430, like the 360.

18. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Uh oh - I see a major on the horizon then even at my mileage. What's involved as opposed to the two yearly?

19. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I though I remember it just needing spark plugs. Mine for example had the fluids all done (brake and oil, trans done during the clutch) last November ish, but other than fluids, I cant see anything "major" other than the plugs. I'm tempted to do it myself as I have done everything on all my other cars, but I know future owners need to see a giant FERRARI stamp on the repair order for it to be safe to buy lol.

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you don't have a Ferrari dealer there, you might inquire at the Maserati dealer...I've passed by it many times in my travels to MN.