F430: Immobilizer problem. Please help! | FerrariChat

F430: Immobilizer problem. Please help!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eric C, Aug 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 Eric C, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm grasping for straws here before I'm forced to ship the car 5 hours away to Ferrari.

My immobilizer light is solid, thus keeping the car from starting. Neither one of my fobs will disarm it.

Here are the things I've tried with no luck:

1. New Fob Batteries.
    2. New Battery.
    3. Disconnecting Battery.
    4. Turning off/on battery cut off switch.
    5. Checked immobilizer fuses.
    6. Emergency start procedure (Didn't work).
    7. Pushing brake pedal HARD.
    8. Rocking car back and forth. (It switches gears fine)

I called and spoke to a Ferrari tech this morning. They weren't much help with suggestions other than to ship it to them ($975 each way). I called Exotic Motors Midwest as well and they said that although they have a Leonardo, it doesn't have the capabilities to read or sync immobilizers. (If that's even the issue).

Please help guys!

2007 F430 F1
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Read your other thread and wish I could help. Couple of thoughts but I'm mechanical not electrical. I have 2 friends who had the same thing but intermittent (different cars) One was the immobiliser/alarm unit itself the other was the key. From memory you have 2 keys so probably not the key. The immobiliser cuts the fuel pumps out if I am correct? Maybe somehow disconnecting the immobiliser could get you running? Not much help I know, just thinking out loud.

3. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    This is coming from a complete lack of knowledge on what triggers the immobilizer but have you tried moving the car several feet in neutral with the ignition in the acc position then turning off and then trying to crank again?

4. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No, I haven't tried that one yet.

5. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    I was looking at an F430 about a year ago, car looked good and I agreed to take it for a test drive, the car would not start. They shipped it off to the Ferrari Dealer, they were a Lambo dealer, and it was the immobilizer. They had it for a couple of weeks to get the part, not sure if it needed new keys. I did not buy the car.

6. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exotic motors Midwest is coming to my house on Wednesday to put it on their Leonardo Diagnostic Tool to see if they can find anything. I pray that we can find something!

7. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #7 shubchs, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Erik, Bad Luck. Where would you ship it to as Exotic can't do the diagnosis?

8. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    That's $2000 return trip ...should've just sent it to your local autoelectrician.

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I dont think Car Toys, Best Buy or any local auto electrical shop here in the US would know how to work on a Ferrari immobilizer system. it would be a waste of time and money......

I know, $2K is steep. It may be cheaper to fly a Ferrari service technician back and forth to his home and bring his SD3 with him.

Dan

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry to hear Eric.

And sorry, all my suggestions you have already tried & covered.

Trip to the dealer or have the service technician come visit you would be my next suggestion too.

Dan

11. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Eric,

I experienced something like this before. I locked the car with the fob and opened the carw with the key and start it. After a couple of tries it worked. Might not work for you but worth the try if you have not.

12. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    put the car on a charger. Leave the key in accessories for 10 minutes. Remove the key and repeat 3 times.

make sure its a good charger something that will be over 12V the whole time.

13. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exotic Motors came, put their leonardo on the car and did some tests. They think that the problem is with the immobilizer ecu since the fobs control the alarm system fine. They just don't disarm the immobilizer. They are going to do some calling around today and check on some things. One, if it's a simple issue of the fobs losing sync or if the immobilizer ecu went bad or simply needs a reflash and reprogram.

So??

14. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'll give that a shot. Why not?

15. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Has this worked for you? Same problem as me? I'm willing to try anything.

16. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exotic Motors Called, they said that they have a key reprogrammer guy that thinks he can come and reprogram the car. He's never used him for a Ferrari before but thinks if anyone can, this guy can. Has anyone had luck reprogramming fobs this way?

The reprogrammer guys is supposed to do a little digging and let us know.

17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    This does not sound like it will end well. Eric - give Jorge a call at Specialized ECU Repair, Replacement, & Testing - Restore or Exchange your Electronic Control Unit (ECU)

18. ///Art

///Art Karting
    BANNED

Oct 15, 2014
    Yes, a few different times on several 430s that have been here at the shop. Mine most recent since I was doing work on it and had the battery disconnected for a while and had it in the air. the Immo wouldn't even read on my scan tool until i did this procedure. Not saying it'll work. But its worth a shot. After the 3rd cycle the Lock would disappear. Almost like the older Chevy's where you needed to leave the key in the ignition for an hour or something like that.

19. SoIllFerrari

SoIllFerrari Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    CD
    Eric, I spoke to the Scud owner prior to me and he said that he did the above and it worked for him too.

20. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

21. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I didn't get a call back, so I'm assuming that the guy couldn't do it. Not that I was convinced in the first place. A Ferrari tech messaged me on here yesterday, give me a few things to check before sending it up to Chicago or calling the ecu repair guy. I'll also try suggestions in this thread as well.

22. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric

I had no idea that this was a problem amongst F430's! I did lots and lots and searches and came up with nothing. I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning.

23. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Eric, did you ever get resolution on the issue?

24. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No. I ordered a charger to try the "cycle the key" method, so I'm gonna give it a try tonight.

25. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Good luck! Fingers crossed.