Gated 360 or Gated F430? | FerrariChat

Gated 360 or Gated F430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Merlin Auto Group, Aug 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Merlin Auto Group

Merlin Auto Group Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
    Hi all,

A question that's been posed to us often:

Which offers a better driving experience - a gated 360 or a gated F430?

It would almost seem like an obvious choice; however, the feedback we've received has varied.

What do you all think?

2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I haven't had the opportunity to drive a manual 430, but I would welcome the additional power over my 360, and I can't think of any negatives, since we are talking about driving experiences not styling cues.
    Must be why a manual 430 costs 2x+ more than a manual 360 ;)

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    For the prices, I would hope the gated 430 makes the 360 feel like a Yugo

4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Better to drive a slow car fast in my opinion.

Some people like me draw the analog-digital line at electronically controlled diff and F1 transmissions.

I tip the hat to you if you are able to utilize all of the F430 on underpopulated roads. A car fast enough to require a track to explore its potential controlled by electronics begs the question, who is driving who?

5. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I would never knock any Ferrari or any model. I am Ferrari thru and true.
    I own a gated 430 and have driven a gated 360.
    The 430 has more torque and horsepower with a stiffer chassis.
    The 360 felt a bit softer and not as powerful.
    I also have a 575 and I am sure owners of 599's would say the same about the 575.
    All Ferrari's are awesome!

van22 likes this.
  6. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    For me a 360 was always the only option regardless of price... but obviously there are compelling arguments for the newer faster car. In the end you might as well ask one political party vs another, everyone will always have their own opinion.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #7 TheMayor, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Gated 430's are really hard to find. Gated 360's are easier.

I ordered a late 2008 model and the dealer told me if I wanted it I better order the F1. He wasn't sure any more manuals were even going to be built and if they were, the build date might be delayed. It might have been all BS but I'm sure I'm not the only one to get this speech.

There's no question the F430 is a better car than the 360. However, part of the reason was it was really designed for the F1 working with the Ediff to make it faster and handle better. At the time they were competing against 4WD cars like the Gallardo so they wanted something that would stick better in the curves but not use 4WD. Ediff was the answer.

Both are fine cars but it could take a long time to find one in the proper color and combo.

van22 likes this.
  8. tonyl8281

tonyl8281 Karting

Jul 1, 2014
    Hi,

I had the pleasure of owning a 2003 6MT 360 Spider for three years and bought a 2007 F430 Spider 6 months ago. I covered nearly 10 000 miles in the 360 without even a minor problem, thankfully. The 430 is, in my opinion, a slightly better built car in terms of the general robustness of the fittings but not as pretty as the 360. Performance wise, personally, both cars are far more powerful with respect to my driving skills on typical British roads but presume the 430 would come into its own on a track, something I don't particularly want to do. I suspect that most drivers run these cars a very very long way below their maximum performance levels anyway so out and out performance is perhaps a bit academic. I struggled to notice much difference between the two cars when driving. In summary, both are great cars, my personal reasons for the swap was simply curiosity, updated functionality, and hopefully no concerns regarding timing belt changes.

Just some thoughts.

Tony

9. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I prefer the exterior of the 360 to the 430 but everything else is pro 430. I was on the fence when I purchased back in 2009 and test drove both. I chose the 430. Still have it.

10. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Gated 430 of course... the gated 360 is a wonderful car but given the choice, I'd have the manual F430.
    It has a better chassis, better performance, better interior, is much rarer, more exclusive... but more expensive :)

van22 likes this.
  11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If you actually drive your cars, buy the newest car that you can afford. If you can buy a 430 stick over a 360 stick.. simple, do it.

I love my 360 stick. Absolutely love it. I no intention of selling it for a 430 stick, IMHO the price differential for bang for the buck doesn't warrant the upgrade.. again strictly IMHO. 63,000 miles and as of today driving her every weekend as much as I can.. she gives me a smile every time. I got caught in a downpour and she was impressively drivable in the wet.

However, if I were buying either from the onset as a first Ferrari lets say.. I'd do the 430 if the buyer can afford it and the colors are to your liking. If the wallet isn't fat enough for a 430 stick, the 360 stick should be a nice "downgrade".

van22 likes this.
  12. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have a 360 manual but truth be told I was after an F1. I think if I went for an F430 I would want F1.
    I suspect if or when I change the 360 it will only be for a 458 if I can afford it.

Full manual transmission is a little overrated however that is my opinion. I've driven 1000x more miles in manual cars over any automatic. Maybe I'm just bored stirring a stick :)

13. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    After changing my gear lever bushing (from OEM plastic to HE manufactured) the difference is huge. No more rattling against the gate and stick is solid and shifts are crisp. I love my 6MT 360. Interior and exterior.

Todd Laing likes this.
  14. Merlin Auto Group

BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
    Interesting feedback -- I'm curious, for those of you who have driven both, what do you think specifically is better about the F430 from a driving experience perspective? How would you describe the differences to someone who isn't one of those people that take the time to understand the mechanical upgrades?

Side note, I realize these are questions that warrant opinions, which are of value. My personal preference is a 360 ;-)

15. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I don't think the driving experience on public roads is that much different. 430 has more power but my wife's 458 makes my car feel slow. That is a magnificent machine BTW.

The 430 was the newest available at the time. I liked the fit and finish of it especially the interior, more modern technology. No belt changes.

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

I agree, though the 360 is hardly a slow car. Are there times I wish I had more power? Sure, when passing another car on a two lane road where the passing zone is short. But the 360 stick has plenty of usable power in street and back roads driving, and it's more involving than the more modern paddle-shifted cars. I can't say if it's more or less fun to drive than, say, a 458, because that's purely subjective and depends on the individual (and the circumstances; a 458 on the track is amazing), but it is plenty of fun.

I haven't driven a 430 stick, but can see pluses and minuses to it having more power and torque over a 360 in street driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. M360Dom

M360Dom Karting

Jul 21, 2009
    New York
    driven both and own a 430 MT The 430 is a much better car over all and to me its worth the price bump over the 360. 430 is much tighter more advanced car with more power and better steering , and imo a better looking package in and out.

18. Merlin Auto Group

BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
    Thanks all for contributing to the conversation!

19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I own a couple of gated 430s. I have only driven a gated 360 once, properly. I am pretty sure the 430 has a noticeable difference in punch between 2000 and 4000 rpm, as well as being faster when pushed, which is less relevant.

I would also say that the 430 handles slightly more sharply, quicker turn in, more confidence punching out of a roundabout. But the low down torque difference is more noticeable.

20. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    For the upgraded mechanicals and ability, the 430.
    For something with lines to make you smile, the 360

Ideally: Hail-damaged 430 sold at a discount, requiring all body panels changed, when they could be replaced with 360 pieces. :D

ScottS likes this.
  21. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Heh sounds like the perfect car.

22. ml65

ml65 Karting

Jun 22, 2009
    Farmingdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Mike L.
    Owned both, 430 more torque/grunt, the 360 more scream at 7000, both wild rides in the 5000-7000 rpm zone.
    430 style wheels brings the 360 look up to speed, and low mileage Gated 430 now at 240k range, and 360 at 120k range, not worth the six figure difference, even w the gated 430 being a potentially rarer car, IMHO. 2 sexy beasts for sure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

toussi1, ScottS and EastMemphis like this.
  23. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    How many ways can we ask this question?

Disclosure I have a 430 6 speed and a 360 F1 but drove several 360 gated prior to purchasing.

The driver’s experience in a 430 is faster, higher, and more precise. The sounds are more guttural and the engine keeps going.

The driver’s experience in the 360 is more go kart like, slower top end, but analog, amazing sounds, great drivers position and visibility with the slightly less punch after shifts (manual) and less room to run.

For the collector with many to choose from, the 430 is my choice. But they will likely sit in an air conditioned garage mostly.

For the eager first Ferrari owner, 360 gated all the way. Drive it and forget it. Sell it for the same 10K miles later.

For driving around town and making an event out of a run to the supermarket, the 360. And I always seem to find a supermarket somewhat far away when asked to go........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

imahorse and mmyhorses like this.
  24. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Not so. It's the exclusivity that makes the 430 Gated more money. Less produced more pricey. Period. The rest of course is subjective preference in looks etc.

550nitis and ScottS like this.
  25. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yes, I fully realize that. My post (from 3+years ago) was just commenting on the ridiculous price difference between the 2, not the difference in performance ;).