Benefits from non-ethanol in our 360"s? | FerrariChat

Benefits from non-ethanol in our 360"s?

Discussion in '360/430' started by KC360 FL, Aug 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    been wondering... I'm taking delivery of my '03 360 Modena here soon. Is there any benefit to using a non-ethanol fuel? Has Ferrari taken into account the introduction of ethanol in fuels (back in the day) and therefore have taken measures to protect components from the harmful effects of ethanol fuel in their cars' engines? Also do you folks run premium fuel? I always did in my 911 even though the owner's manual did not require it (but you did get reduced performance as the variable timing kicked in to compensate for pre detonation).

Thanks, Ken in FL

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ferraris require premium. Ethanol is not a problem unless the car sits for long periods of time. When that happens it separates out and the high concentration of alcohol attacks rubber components in the fuel system like the fuel pump. I don't think Ferrari uses materials in the fuel system any different than other manufacturers, but Ferraris are rarely purchased as a daily driver, so they can often sit for long periods of time between drives. Sometimes for months. That is when problems arise.

Best solution? Drive the car at least a couple times a month to prevent fuel separation. If that is not possible, then find ethanol free gas: https://www.pure-gas.org/

3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My 911 of 17 years never had any fuel related problems even though I only drove it as a "fun" car-- weekends and on nice days off. It was a 1995. So with that said I really didn't think the 360 would have any issues. I always use premium in all my cars so not a problem. After reading an article by Jay Leno in AutoWeek, his point was that the gas (with ethanol) simply had a much, much shorter "shelf life" than what we may expect. So yes, the key is to put yourself in the driver's seat as often as you can. I also have added Sta-bil to the gas tank to help add to the shelf life of a tank of fuel.

Thanks for the input. Ken

4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #4 I'm 360 Canuck, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    I avoid ethanol as much as possible. All negatives no positives.
    For the little I drive this car, I prefer to splurge on gas. It adds up to just a few bucks over the year.
    I'lll cheap out somewhere else ;)

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    kind of how I felt about running premium in my 911. Not necessary, but always did it. For the best. Never understood guys driving a car like a 911 or a 360 worrying about the price per gallon.

Luckily, there's a station nearby that sells non-ethanol.

6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Was just reading a tech column in the BMW club magazine Roundel just a few minutes ago...the tech Mike Miller also dislikes gas with ethanol, but says most of the ethanol free gas is sold by independent stations which brings to question the detergent additives. Thus most ethanol free gasoline is also not meeting the latest "Top Tier" standards either....so he says he is split in which way to go. He said he did have a BMW that sat in storage (didn't say exactly how long) and the fuel pump seized from the ethanol.

He said if he was to hedge his bets, he would use ethanol free gas in a car that wasn't regularly driven, and use a quality fuel injection additive every 5000 miles. He likes Chevron Techron which is endorsed by BMW

7. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Speaking of Sta-bil, they make an additive specific for ethanol gasolines.
    https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-performance

What is not clear, is will this keep the ethanol in suspension, preventing it from separating? If it doesn't then it isn't really preventing the biggest concern. (If you hang around here long enough, you will see the damaged fuel pumps, from 550s, 355s, 348s from ethanol...haven't seen one from a 360 or 430 yet....but it may be just they aren't old enough. ;)

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
  9. Philly

Philly Karting

Aug 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Phil Gelso
    Funny how nobody s mentioning the shocking increase in performance realized immediately with ethanol free gas - try it folks - it's not a subtle difference.

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    There's an ethanol free gas station around the corner. Mine never sits more than 5-6 days but I often wonder what the additive (pun intended) effects are on the components, especially in colder weather. Northern drivers don't have the option.

I'm of the mind that if it doesn't sit, you don't need the additives and ethanol free gas becomes less an issue.

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    So true. Most folks forget about that part. Plus your fuel economy is better. I know it's a Ferrari, but at 10MPG around town most of us would be happy with better performance AND fuel economy. Ethanol releases much less energy than pure gasoline when spent in your engine.

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    It is true, ethanol releases less energy however when 30-40% of the fuel is waste is the pure gas blend going to impact performance? Not by anything you can feel. Ethanol has an octane or AKI of 113-115 in its pure form, you're going to burn slightly less fuel to hit the enrichment target and more likely to have timing pulled if you don't get a good tank of ethanol free fuel.

It keeps well, smells a tad different, and gives you a tenth of an MPG perhaps, but is it worth the hassle? If it makes you drive more to get to the station, that is really the best impact to your cars performance. :D

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have one a quarter mile away (76 station), but they only offer 89 octane (too low). I'm of the same opinion, my 430 Scuderia never sits more than one or two weeks, even in winter, so not an issue for me.

14. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    For those who don't really know, ethanol blows. It has the potential for higher octane (e85) but the octane in the garbage at the pump (e10) actually about 15% ethanol is the same octane. There are absolutely no performance advantages gained from 91 or 93 octane e10 and higher octane ethanol is only beneficial to a higher compression engine or a forced induction application. In the 360 manual it states ethanol free gas only. Ethanol is very corrosive to a system that has not been designed to handle it. Also note that ethanol has way less energy than gasoline by volume which means it takes more to achieve the same effect in the combustion chamber (like alcohol).

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Ethanol does have a side effect of lowering greenhouse gas emissions and one of the primary reasons they have been slowly adding it to gasoline. My race car runs on ethanol and I wouldn't have it any other way. And so much less expensive than race gasoline and more widely available (regional differences aside).