360 clutch replacement... how often? How much $? | FerrariChat

360 clutch replacement... how often? How much $?

Discussion in '360/430' started by daericks, May 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daericks

daericks Karting

May 11, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Dan Erickson
    Can anyone tell me how long a clutch SHOULD last. I know there are different drive styles, etc. But, in general, what should I expect? Also, what is the cost to get it replaced? Thanks,
    Dan

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    My 360 has around 13K miles on it (about 6K of which I put on). The clutch is starting to complain at high RPM's. Hard to say if the previous owners abused it or not. The person I bought the car from took good care of it, but also drove the car quite a bit on the road (as I do). It all adds up and if your style of shifting doesn't favor the clutch, it doesn't take long to eat that disc up in there.

So I think how you drive is the big factor - probably the largest factor. I have a 6 speed, so I am able to baby the clutch quite a bit. It's fine at lower RPM's and only shows its age at shift above 8K. My guess is that a good driver, one who doesn't abuse the clutch, could easily get 20K or 30K miles on a stock clutch - if not more. Whereas a driver who slips the clutch on hills or signals, etc. and/or who power shifts without any regard for the gearbox/drivetrain, etc. might only see 10K miles before problems surface.

If you are hard enough on a car, you can toast the clutch disc in an afternoon - and once it starts to go down hill, it usually doesn't magically get better.

So the question isn't so much the clutch, but how you treat the clutch.

As far as replacement, I would stay probably $5K and up - depending on parts required and who you go to.

Ray

3. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    Rayjohns, I have bought a 2000 (6 speed stick like yours) a few months ago at the dealer. Has done 18.000mls now.
    I also complained about the clutch as it didn't want to go in 5th/6th at high rpm's, like it was completely blocked. Also the foot lever clutch unclutched only when my foot was almost in the carpet.

They said that the shifting was a matter of re-adjusting the gear linkage (known issue...) and that the foot lever also could be a bit re-adjusted. To my surprise they fixed both 3 weeks ago... I am a happy man again.

Could this also be the case with yours ?

4. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    I had my 2004 (RED) 360 clutch replaced @ 23,000 miles at Independent Ferrari Service for $2,200.00 (Dealer quoted me $6,5000.00).

My Yellow 360 is at 28,000 miles and no need for clutch yet :)

and I bought them almost brand new. So driving habit do matters.

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Anything is possible, but my guess is that adjusting the clutch pedal might only serve to maybe pre-load the T/O bearing against the pressure plate (?), or give maybe give you a little more throw. Hard to say.

Ray

6. daericks

daericks Karting

May 11, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Dan Erickson
    I asked because my car is doing something I'm not used to... Its a 2000 6 speed with 11k miles. I bout it about 500 miles ago. It shifts fine but from 1-2 it sometimes doesn't shaft smoothly. Kind of need to force it into gear some times or it will be "half" in gear. Does that make sense? If I am conscience about it, I can easily shift with more agression (not a lot) and there is no problem. Could this be part of the linkage problem previously mentioned?

7. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    You need to do two things:

1) make sure the car is warmed before going into 2nd. Many times I will go from 1st to 3rd and then back to 2nd. It does not want to shift well when cold.

2) have your transmission oil changed to Redline.

Try both and you will notice a difference.

8. porsche racer

porsche racer Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    My car does the same and technician told me it's Ok. I know what you mean. It happens only from 1 to 2.

9. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    My car was a 2002 Fi with only 4400 miles on it when checked as part of the major service the clutch had 44% of its life left I elected to have a new clutch installed when they were in there it cost $2200 at the dealership.

10. daericks

daericks Karting

May 11, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Dan Erickson
    I'll stop being paranoid about the 1-2 gear change. Now that I think about it, I think it does only do that when its cold. Redline? Alright, I'll do that. Is this something I can do myself or does a dealer supply me with that stuff? Is there a certain "weight" I need? I've never tried to do anything myself but you guys on here make it sound so dang easy sometimes! Thanks again for the help,

Dan

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    mine does it from 1st to 2nd, but only until I drive about 300 yards. Then it's fine all day long. I may take greg's advice and change to redline just for the heck of it. Greg, what weight, etc. are you using? like 80 or 90 or what? Do they have different redline gear oils?

Ray

12. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I can tell you tomorrow. I don't have that file at home.

It did make a big difference!

13. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    When I sold my '02 360 F1, the clutch had 13,600 miles on it and showed 13% wear. The original clutch was replaced at the dealer for $3,900.

14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There was a time when I couldn't get my car into 5th or 6th at high RPM, or from 3rd into 2nd smoothly. That's the reverse bushing. "Uneducated" dealers will tell you that it's the shifting linkage. Daniel @ Ricambi sells the Hill Engineering aluminum billet replacement for the crappy stock plastic bushing that cracks (thereby creating this problem).

15. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    I noticed this also a less serious version of this is a friend's 430 coupe that I drove recently. It wasn't grinding or anything, but just a bit more rigid between 1st and 2nd, and not at all that way in any of the other gears..

I noticed it tended to go away once the car was warmed up.

16. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Ray,

The Redline transmission oil is 75/90.

I read in a link that the 75/90W Superlight Shockproof oil is the best, however. Not everyone carries it and I think it has to be ordered,

17. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I use Redline Shockproof in my Evo transfer case, and it is great gear oil. From everything I've read it's easier on gears also because it cushions the impact.

18. daericks

daericks Karting

May 11, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Dan Erickson
    Is this something a guy can change on his own or should I just get the stuff and bring it to the dealer to "install"?

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Most dealers will not install your parts.

Besides at this point the clutch is still a dealer part. You might be buying it from someone else but it came from a dealer somewhere.

20. daericks

daericks Karting

May 11, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Dan Erickson
    I should have clarified... I mean to put the Redline product in, not the clutch. I definately don't have the technical knowledge to install a cltuch.

21. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    The price variations are staggering! $2200-$6,500 at dealer, and $2,200 at independent. FoSV quoted about $6,000.

22. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    My f430 (also the Gallardo) are just like a 308 or 328, the 1st to 2nd shift is hard until it warms up. I just avoid that shift until the car is warm because in the old Ferraris the 1 to 2 is to be avoided until warm, so just in case. To tell you the truth I almost never use the second gear in the 430.

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    $2200 won't cover the parts. Makes me wonder what they really did.

2NA likes this.
  24. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    I also understand that the linkeage on the engine side has 2 rubber washers that attach to the gearbox and can allow a small amount of play-no adjustment will help this.

25. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    +1