Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 360/430

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

430 F1 vs manual gearbox

OK, so maybe I am a luddite, but in my test drives of the 430 I enjoyed the manual (old school) gearbox much more than the F1. I can see where on the track the F1 is a huge advantage, and god knows my wife and 16 yr old are praying for it, but am I crazy, or just too old school ?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Joe A
The F1 really grows on you. I think it is the car's best feature.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Karting
Non Subscribed

I have owned both.

The manual box is more precise and satisfying to me and I believe that it is more appropriate to the car but it is a pain in the ass in stop and go traffic. The F1 is easy to drive and, of course, you can shift it in it's manual mode. If I was only driving the car occasionally and rarely in traffic I would choose the manual otherwise the choice would be the F1.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

ferrari designed the 430 around the f1 tranny..no changes in the manual tranny vs the 360...a little bit dissapointing that ferrari doesnt spend any developement on the manual stick shift..., its a good system, but not as good the new porsches, or the hondas, etc....
Old 11-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by scycle2020 View Post
ferrari designed the 430 around the f1 tranny..no changes in the manual tranny vs the 360...a little bit dissapointing that ferrari doesnt spend any developement on the manual stick shift..., its a good system, but not as good the new porsches, or the hondas, etc....

what improvements do you need? It's fairly short has very positive feel and the clutch is not heavy at all.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru View Post
what improvements do you need? It's fairly short has very positive feel and the clutch is not heavy at all.
Drive a 997 GT3 RS and you will see that the Ferrari gear box feels outdated. I prefer the F1 in a Ferrari.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

re-sale, re-sale, re-sale... i feel the same, but you gotta think about re-sale... i'm getting a scuderia, and it only comes with the latest f1 gearbox... i would have had a big dilema if i could order it in manual... and i would have still ordered it with the f1, simply not to regret it at re-sale... i think 9 out of 10 or so are ordered f1... if you plan on keeping it for many years to come, then select for yourself, and for others :-)
Old 11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
F1 Rookie
Non Subscribed

I avoided F1 when I was shopping, but now that I've seen it in action, I would prefer it.

Not many cars have a true F1 style system... enjoy the exclusivity
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
Drive a 997 GT3 RS and you will see that the Ferrari gear box feels outdated. I prefer the F1 in a Ferrari.
I have and as good as the Gt3RS is, I prefer my 6 speed f430.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:13 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru View Post
I have and as good as the Gt3RS is, I prefer my 6 speed f430.
action is postive on the 430 6 speed, but it can be notchy, and throws are not long but are not short compared to honda, porsche etc,...the clutch in moderate in effort but i do like the uptake...but i like the porsche clutch a little better as it is slightly less effort and as postive in its uptake...overall the 6 speed in the ferrari is good, but the rest of the car is great and i feel ferrari could have improved upon the 360 6speed...they improved everything else about the car, but left the stick shift tranny the same...being a stick shift guy, i was just a little disappointed it wasnt even better than it is....
Old 11-21-2007, 01:19 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: Art
I got the 6 speed also. Wonder what the effect will be on resale? Anyone know?

Art
Old 11-21-2007, 03:02 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000YELLOW360 View Post

Art
according to two dealers i spoke to recently, the extra msrp on the f1 tends to hold with resales..also, the f1 tends to sell quicker and easier...with the 6 speed, its a matter of finding a true stick shift guy and sometimes this can take longer...some have postulated the manual stick shift cars may be worth more in the distant future, due to its relative rarity...but we could talking 25-30 years......
Old 11-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

I don't think there is a resale issue at all; everything balances out. Most people buy the F1, partly because that is what they want and partly becasue Ferrari makes it difficult to order a 6 speed. Therefore at resale time, most of the cars are F1 cars. 6 speed cars are more rare and so are the buyers. My 6 speed 360 Spiders resold in a heartbeat as did my 6 speed 612. I got what I wanted as did my buyers. The price spread was about the same and I didn't have to buy a new clutch in the meantime. My 430 Spider is a 6 speed too. I suggest you buy want you want and not worry about resale.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

430 vs 360

And was the jump to the 430 from the 360 worth it ?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000YELLOW360 View Post

Art
According to my dealer and recent 360 buyer's guide in Forza, F1's don't bring anymore than sticks in the used market, especially after the warranty is gone. As a group, used buyers have different priorities. Having the latest and greatest is not so important to them and reliability and personal preferences are more important. One dealer went so far to tell me they pay more for early 360's with sticks than paddles. I see no reason that the 430 market will be any different. If anything, stick shift cars will be even more rare than 360's.

Dave
Old 11-21-2007, 03:54 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: goth
Talking

My girlfriend is buying an inexpensive car to practice her manual shift techniques for when she gets her "real sports car" ..... I told her about the F1 and she gave me this stupid look like I was trying to 'dumb down' her abilities........... she replied by saying.... "you can't have a real sports car that is not a stick shift... that is LAME!!!".....

.....those were her exact words....
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: John C.
My F430 is a stick shift and I am very happy. I have not been a fan of the F1 in the past when they were much slower than they are now. I have not driven one of the 50 milisecond F1 transmissions and I might like that better. But vs. the older slower F1's, I just think you have more control (and clutch-in neutral) with a stick shift and it's just more fun for me. I agree that resale should not be the issue because it is hard to predict what will happen unless Ferrari phases out manuals altogether. Last year, only 7% of Ferrari production was stick shift, and much of that was in the UK, where apparently manuals are still more popular.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: walkaway
this is a no brainer. F1 all the way. Before i drove either i thought i'd prefer manual... but it doesn't do the car any justice in a manual. and its also not a bad drive when going easy.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:31 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkaway View Post
this is a no brainer. F1 all the way. Before i drove either i thought i'd prefer manual... but it doesn't do the car any justice in a manual. and its also not a bad drive when going easy.
bigtime!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:49 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: DJS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snbfamily View Post
OK, so maybe I am a luddite, but in my test drives of the 430 I enjoyed the manual (old school) gearbox much more than the F1. I can see where on the track the F1 is a huge advantage, and god knows my wife and 16 yr old are praying for it, but am I crazy, or just too old school ?
No no no...you are not crazy!!