360 Failed Emissions. Does anyone have the Drive Cycle? | FerrariChat

360 Failed Emissions. Does anyone have the Drive Cycle?

Discussion in '360/430' started by utah997, Jul 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. utah997

utah997 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2007
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doug
    This is getting frustrating. There has to be a drive cycle procedure somewhere to get the codes "ready" for the emissions test.

Anyone? Anyone??

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I drove mine for about 20-25 minutes before the test.

Arrived and it sat for about 10 minutes while they prepared for the test, and it passed fine.

They said it's best not to get it too hot!

Go figure.

I don't know anything about getting the codes "ready".

Never heard of that.

It could also be your OBDII connector. There was an upgrade to that.

3. gages

gages Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve G
    If the codes are coming up as not ready then you need to go out and drive. I had this on my 430 after a battery outage. Took 300 miles of hard driving and then, tada, codes were ready. No drive cycle just some good old hard driving. To make life easier go out and buy an OBDII reader (low end one is $60) so you don't have to keep running back and forth to the machine.

4. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Never heard of codes to prepare for an emissions test. Is your car by chance a 1999 model. If so you will have some trouble. In CA most of the 1999 models won't pass and have to be taken to one of the main "referee" stations for a more detailed inspection. The referees pass the car. Regular smog stations don't have the ability to do so. Most of the 1999 models did not have the complete US emissions equipment installed when they were imported (making them the fastest of the years as they were closer to euro models than the later US models). Maybe Utah has something similar to CA's referee station?

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All OBD2 cars have them no matter the make.

6. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It is call the readiness code, quit common of an issue with an OBD2 car when the battery is disconnected. When the rediness code is not set the SMOG stations will not perform an emission test on your car.

Most of the car manufacturers have a fairly standard method of setting the readiness code, Porsches, BMWs are all fairly similiar. But of course we are talking about Ferraris here, so it probably is complicated.

Here is a link on how to set the readiness code for Porsche and BMWs http://www.srlx.com/p-car/obdii_readiness.pdf

I remember reading somewhere that there was an TSB out for the Ferrari's OBD2 port which could cause the readiness code not being set properly, something like that. Go figures.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bosch isn't good about sharing that information. The few I have seen in writing were not correct. You just need to drive the car until they are set. Unless you just had a repair made resetting them should not be required.

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I realize all cars have them but I was referring to his comment about getting codes "ready".

I did not quite understand that.

9. s14roller

s14roller Karting

May 3, 2008
    After the computer is reset, it needs time to "check" everything. When the checks don't have enough "miles" on them, they can't finish the checks and will come up as not ready. You are only allowed 1 or 2 systems to not be ready depending on year.

to the OP: get a OBD2 scanner...I have one I got off amazon for $150...it comes with the LEDs for emissions readiness...will read codes as wel as tell u when emissions systems are ready to go, and if not, what still needs drive cycle. I find on my 911 turbo, takes about 100 miles...on other cars, much faster.

10. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I got it. Good explanation. Thanks.

11. wilsemail

wilsemail Karting

Sep 30, 2007
    Anaheim, California
    There is a readiness drive cycle I got from Ferrari North America. But, this site isn't allowing me to upload the attachments. There's also an Emissions Recall Campaign document that I have that outlines the situation you have. Is your's a 1999? Please provide your email address, and I can email them to you direct.

12. wilsemail

wilsemail Karting

Sep 30, 2007
    Anaheim, California
    #12 wilsemail, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
    The problem with the 1999 is that the readiness for the Oxygen Sensor circuits never set in, or comes and goes. Thus, leaving 3 unreadiness states. Two being the maximum here in California.

13. utah997

utah997 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2007
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I may have to do that. I do drive the 360 a bit.. but I'm not terribly excited about having to go put 400 miles on it just to get it to pass the emmissions test. The frustrating thing is.. it's always on the battery tender, I've never had to jump start it, or disconnect the battery for any reason..

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    #14 Skidkid, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. utah997

utah997 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2007
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thanks guys!!!

16. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Let us know how this works. I'm a little confused how you drive at a constant speed in 3rd or 4th at 2000 - 2500 RPM and then slow down in 4th gear from 4500 -2000 RPM.

Seeing as they are so particular that you follow the procedure exactly as written, it is odd that they don't tell you have to speed up to get to 4500 RPM, THEN slow down in 4th gear... No mention of how long do you keep it at 4500 RPM, etc.

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Even the federalized euro 360s ?

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes

19. ahmad360f1

ahmad360f1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2009
    I am facing the same problem with my 360 (it's a 99 model), I have driven it for 700 miles after the battery replacement, but 3 of the OBDII monitors are still not ready for smog test. Did you pass smog finally? if you have any information, please share.

20. wilsemail

wilsemail Karting

Sep 30, 2007
    Anaheim, California
  21. FerrariQuest

FerrariQuest Rookie

Oct 23, 2009
    Northern, VA/Washing
    I triggered a check engine light due to a misfire and haven't been able to get my emissions test completed satisfactorily b/c my sensors won't reset. I've driven about 380 miles since the check engine light was turned off at the dealer. The OBD II reader I just bought says I have the following sensors/status:

Misfire Monitor - Ready
    Fuel System - Ready
    Comprehensive Comp. - Ready
    Catalytic - Ready
    Evaporative Sys. - Ready
    Oxygen - Not Ready
    Htd 02 - Not Ready

Any suggestions on how to get these last two sensors engaged? Am I missing any sensors? Did that procedure mentioned earlier work?

As I mentioned, I've driven 380 miles, fast, slow, normal, in traffic on the highway...

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

22. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    #22 blkdiablo33, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    if you dont have any pending codes it should of all reset .ck to see if you have any stored codes.

23. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If you have the obd2 reader why can't you just erase the codes? Then everything starts from zero and if the misfire code pops back up then you need to fix that. missfires are like p0300 and p03xx up to p0312 for cylinder 12. Check the plug and the wire and up the chain backward. I have seen a severe valve cover gasket leak of oil mess with the outside of the plug and cause missfire issues as the plug was up to the ceramic insulator in oil.

24. FerrariQuest

FerrariQuest Rookie

Oct 23, 2009
    Northern, VA/Washing
    So the issue is, no codes are present. All was reset (check engine light and misfire code) by FoW the day the light lit up. I'm now just trying to reset the sensors to pass emissions. Any procedures I should follow?

25. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Good info!
    -Andrew