05 360 Odometer problem! | FerrariChat

05 360 Odometer problem!

Discussion in '360/430' started by admbrokerage, Jan 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. admbrokerage

admbrokerage Rookie

Aug 14, 2008
    I have an 05 360 Spider, F1 car, apx. 7K miles. A few weeks back I took the car out, started it, looked at the mileage, everything was 100% normal, no issues.

Just the other day, went to start the car, battery was almost dead, but the car managed to start anyway, everything normal. EXCEPT I noticed that the trip odometer was being displayed instead of the mileage, I thought, no big deal, I will just press the button and change it back.... Button didnt work, held it in, wouldnt reset the trip clock either. Pressed both buttons to display the dash brightness, and that DID work. I am assuming just the "A" button (as specified in the manual) and its single function as it relates to the mileage is for some reason not working.... Otherwise, the car is great.

I tried:
    -disconecting the batter
    -replacing teh battery
    -holding the trip odomoter on and off for different time variations etc....

I called Algar, they said they have never heard of that problem, I also called a few other people who havent heard of it but hought it to be the battery, but that didnt solve the problem. Has anyone ever had or heard of this problem? Any advice on what direction to take (besides the dealer). Perhaps someone might even deal with gauges for a living etc...

Any help at all would be excellent!!!

2. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I haven't heard or read about this particular problem but I have read about various problems which seem to be associated with low or near dead battery. From recollection most issues seem to resolve themselves over time.

I'd suggest you replace the battery or at the very least give it a full charge. While doing that you'll obviously have the battery master switch turned to off for some time.

Try it next day. Might well resolve the issue all on it's own.

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I had a bad bat on my 360. The dealer but the new battery in by installing it in parelel. They told me if you lose voltage compeletly the dealer has to be reset with the CPU at ferrari. They also told me if you do not do this the car would drive poorly and you would lose some elec functions. They told me it would usually relearn after sdriving it for awhile, The technicain also told me how do help it along by coding it somehow. Sorry I can not remember how it went. Some relearn as the car was designed to do but as the cars age the capaciter which helps hold the logic can fail.

My Lambo also had a dead battery also and my local service guy did some coding things under the hood for the same reason. These are completely different guys.

I wish I new more. Iwould drive it for awhile it may go away.

Lee

4. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    #4 flipdowt, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  5. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Perhaps some of the electronics need to be dumbed down.
    Low voltage wreaks all sorts of havoc on the "brains".
    Discharging the capacitors in controlling computers will cause them to forget perceived malfunctions and start learning over.
    Disconnecting the battery cables and connecting a jumper between them will discharge the capacitors. Some, like an Audi I recently serviced, will require this connection remain for several hours.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    AB- Here is the factory procedure for resetting the ECUs by disconnecting the battery.

The odometer readings for 360s are contained in a 2 MB chip that is mounted in the instrument panel, but it sounds like you are actually having trouble with the button. If it does turn out to be an instrument panel question, these are the guys who can repair it.

Franchorchamps of America, Inc.
    935 Sunset Dr Suite A
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    (949) 631-6373

Rod Drew
    [email protected]

Will White
    http://www.ferrarioc.com/

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Voila

Voila Rookie

Apr 8, 2009
    Miami Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    David Voila
    Does anyone know the outcome of this issue ?

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    He posted twice and disappeared, so nobody will likely ever know, which is actually fairly typical.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. Voila

Voila Rookie

Apr 8, 2009
    Miami Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    David Voila
    Thanks.

10. elmani

elmani Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    austin Texas
    Full Name:
    marc b
    I am experiencing the same problem now...
    I cannot revert to the original odometer reading and i am stuck at the trip odo.
    This may have been the result of the car sitting 3 months during which it was driven only 3 times... low battery?
    I am wondering how was the problem solved... already sent a PM hoping it will be seen soon :)

Regards to all

11. Jeffs360spider

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jeff S
    Has anyone figured out how to resolve this issue. I am having this exact issue right now with my 04 360. Trip odometer is showing and will not switch to regular odometer. Battery was very close to being dead but the car did start... right after that I noticed the problem. I just installed a new battery today but the button still does not work. Any help would be appreciated
    thanks,

12. awacsdavid

awacsdavid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    OKC, OK
    Full Name:
    Dave H.
    Well, I have the same issue. My 2004 360 F1 Spider sat in the garage without a battery tender, but the battery never went dead..... but it was close. After the car was started and driven, it was parked and has always placed on a tender.
    The trip odometer does not display, only the trip.
    I DID remove the instrument cluster and sent it to Ferrari Electronics in Costa Mesa, California. They hooked it up and confirmed that the cluster was working properly. They were able to cycle through all displays. No charge, and they returned it back. (Great Guys!!).
    Installed, back into the car, started....AND...... same issue.

I wonder if there is something that keeps the switches from working properly with low power. But the car stays on the battery tender ALL THE TIME. Even after 10 months on the tender, it still has the issue.

Any new ideas??

13. user5575

user5575 Rookie

Apr 7, 2011
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark Thomasson
    #13 user5575, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had the same issue, was convinced that something within the cluster was fried after my battery went flat.
    Anyway as you've just discovered the cluster is ok! and the issue is actually within the white connector on the back of the two buttons (bad connection)

here's the fix...
    1. Remove the button panel
    2. Unplug the white connector (note I removed the four screws for trouble shooting, no need to do this)
    3. Ever so slightly bend pin 3 (Black wire, yellow trace)

Just one of those coincidental things, button b most likely hadn't been working for some time before your / my battery issues!

AlphaWolf likes this.
  14. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Nice! This is why I love FChat. Hoping this works for OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    ^Did you notice that OP's post was from 2010. Probably he has gotten it sorted out in seven years =) But will help others definitely who continue to have this issue.

16. user5575

user5575 Rookie

Apr 7, 2011
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark Thomasson
    FChat is a great resource! It's one of the reasons I ended up with an Fcar, there's just such a great knowledge base here.

17. awacsdavid

awacsdavid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    OKC, OK
    Full Name:
    Dave H.
    I will try this repair this weekend...as long as the rain holds off.

18. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I've had the same problem intermittently since I bought my Spider.
    I will try this procedure and report back.
    THANKS!!!!

19. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Rookie

May 26, 2022
    Full Name:
    Young Kim
    #19 AlphaWolf, May 26, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2022
    I just tried this trick and it worked, just by bending the flat connector ever so slightly up, it gave a better connection to the wire! Thank you so much.

Qavion likes this.