Broken door handle | FerrariChat

Broken door handle

Discussion in '360/430' started by stu, Sep 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stu

stu Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    2000 360, yesterday went to open the driver's side door and the handle pulled up and apparently broke inside the door, so now I can only open the door using the inside handle. Anyone try to fix this themselves? How much effort is it to take the door apart? I didn't find much in searching other than a bunch of people who had this problem when their cars were new.

2. elmani

elmani Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    austin Texas
    Full Name:
    marc b
    it is funny. Mine broke yesterday too :)
    this time the passenger's door.
    I had fixed my door last year. Not a big hassle, couple of hours though. There is a thread on how to remove the door panel. You need to remove that and reconnect the cable. I remember that there was one screw difficult to detect and remove... i will find that thread again and let u know ... good luck for both of us :)

3. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    This one?
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175604

4. stu

stu Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Awesome, that's a great writeup, thanks guys!!

5. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Just had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. Downloaded the shop manual and followed the instructions to remove the door panel. Cable was just popped out of the mount at the handle end.

The silver lover trim is supposed to come away from the door, but it's quite bonded in my case and I removed the whole panel intact. Getting at the screw behind the door lever trim is the real secret.

Here is the link if you don't have the shop manual...

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Downloads.htm

6. stu

stu Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    So finally got around to taking the door apart last night, turns out the cable snapped as suspected. Call Ricambi this morning, Ferrari no longer sells the cable, you have to buy an entire lock assembly as used by the 430. Approx $390 instead of $50 or whatever the cable cost. Lame! I thought of trying to rig the cable in some way but I don't feel like dealing with this again so I bit the bullet and ordered the new part.

7. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    That does sound pretty lame! Maybe it is the same part as the Fiat parts bin? Have you check that?

8. stu

stu Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I'd love to check that but I know nothing about Fiat cars and no idea where to start. I've already ordering the new part, hopefully a better design. As others have said, the cable design is dumb, its guaranteed to rust and break every few years because even if you never drive your car in the rain (I do, its fun) you will still get the inside of the door wet when you wash it, causing the cable to rust and eventually snap.

9. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Exactly!

10. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So we need to develop and market some kind of rubber bootie for the cable at the high end.

11. TEZZA

TEZZA Rookie

Jan 27, 2015
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    Tezza
    Hello all

Reading this thread as I am suddenly having door lock issues in a F430 on the Drivers side which here is on the RHS. I am yet to start down the road of road of removing the door card so I can see what I am dealing with but I would say it is a broken cable.

Now reading between the posts I am assuming good ol Ferrari does not sell you a cable but instead sells you a new lock that comes with the two cables. Downright gentlemanly of them!

If that is the fact/truth then how easy is it to get a cable fabricated? Do any of the aftermarket people have a product. In the USA there is a great aftermarket market for these things that just does exist in Australia, but these days that is all just a UPS flight away.

If anyone has an answer to this I would be grateful.

T

12. TEZZA

TEZZA Rookie

Jan 27, 2015
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    Tezza

This could be pretty simple to do as all you are doing is diverting any water from running down inside the cable sleeve. So what you put in place at the head of the cable acts like an umbrella. My car is not that old and has only done 11,000KM (about 6600 miles) and never goes in the rain, and I am having this problem so it obviously something you have to re-engineer or the thing will come back over and over. From the photos the cable quality looks like crap.

T