2005 F430 Spyder - Multiple Random Misfires | FerrariChat

2005 F430 Spyder - Multiple Random Misfires

Discussion in '360/430' started by 2thDr, Dec 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2thDr

2thDr Rookie

Oct 16, 2010
    #1 2thDr, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
    I have a 2005 F430 Spyder with 1700 miles on it. It is hesitating under full throttle at 5000 RPMs and higher. Today the check engine light came on so I put a scanner on it and it said multiple random misfires.....then it gave misfire codes for every cylinder. It also said that it was running too rich - idle bank 1 and idle bank 2. It runs great as long as you are not going full throttle. It seems to get worse the warmer the engine gets.

Any ideas? Isn't this kind of unusual for a car with only 1700 miles on it?

2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    id try resetting the ECU...

if it still does it... its probably a sensor... like an 02 or maf

3. 2thDr

2thDr Rookie

Oct 16, 2010
    How do you reset the ecu?

I cleared the code with the scanner, but of course, that didn't solve the issue.....

4. sagasea

sagasea Rookie

Sep 15, 2005
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott W.
    I'd check the MAF for dirt, debris, cobwebs (at that low mileage....)

5. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Turn off the master switch for at least 20 min. After that turn it on, turn on the car and wait 10 mi without doing nothing to the car just let it idle.

6. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    #6 DevonL, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    I've never seen or heard of an O2 sensor or a MAF cause random multiple misfires. I have seen bad coils/coil packs cause that. Misfires are often times ignition related. Though like someone suggested, try and rest the ECU.

I did have a bad ECU cause misfires on one of my cars once though. Non F-Car related, but ultimately the same technology.

7. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    I had a similar problem, in my case was caused from a bad gasket between the intake manifold runways and the head. But in your case I don't think it will be the gasket since your car only have 1700 miles. Could be a euc problem.

8. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    Could it not be down to the fact the cars only done an average of 340 miles per year? That can't be good for it surely?

John.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This I think is the irony of people wanting low mileage cars. Cars... any cars... weren't designed to sit around for months on end and then suddenly be subjected to light up like nothing happened.

10. 2thDr

2thDr Rookie

Oct 16, 2010
    #10 2thDr, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    I removed the air filter assembly and the MAF screens were covered in engine oil. The air filter assembly has a reservoir on each side and they were FULL of oil (about 1&1/2 cups worth of oil on each side). Where in the world would that much oil come from? The oil was clean.

I removed all the oil in the reservoirs and wiped off the MAF screens. Then I took the car out, let it warm up, and ran it hard for about 15 minutes......so far, no hesitation or misfires, but I still want to know where that oil came from in case it comes back.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Could very well be over filling. The F430 has a specific way to check for the engine oil level.

12. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Our cars are equip with a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation)
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/pcv.htm

There is MAFs sensor cleaner, so be careful how you clean those delicate sensors.

13. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #13 SfefVan, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Almost sure that oil has been seriously overfilled. Please look below how the oil gas and vapor recirculation works on the F430. When overfilling, part of the oil goes straight to the intake and is delivered back in the engine. Cats do not appreciate high contents of oil in the exhaust gases. Hope this helps ;)
    Stef

The device for oil gas and vapour recirculation is of the closed circuit type.

In the event of engine malfunctioning with an abnormal rise in pressure, the oil vapours coming from the heads are conveyed to a pipe (1) connected to the blow-by system (2); from here, a part condenses and flows into the oil tank underneath. The remaining gases, thanks to the vacuum generated by the engine, are aspirated through the connection pipes (3) and conveyed to the gaiters (4) upstream of the throttle bodies to then reach the plenum chambers.

A dedicated pipe (5) in the system releases the pressure that accumulates in the oil tank.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #14 TheMayor, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    Excellent post Stef!

The next question is who didn't know the proper way to check the engine oil level and ended up overfilling it.

If it was a mechanic, the OP might want to look elsewhere for his service in the future.

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It is amazing how often this happens. Perhaps Ferrari should put a warning sticker in the engine bay about checkig oil with motor running.

There is also a service campaign (274) for an ignition coil vent update. The original design could allow moisture in and foul the plugs. Mine was done in April 2008. This can cause misfires. Make sure it has been done.

Dave

16. 2thDr

2thDr Rookie

Oct 16, 2010

This is exactly what happened. I've driven it for several hours since I cleaned out the MAF and air filter housing and I haven't had any trouble with hesitation or misfiring at all. Problem appears to be solved.

I JUST bought the car from a place in Dallas, so I assume this place did the oil change..... (They sell lots of different exotic cars.)

17. Rikard

Rikard Rookie

Apr 10, 2014
    A replacement of the O2 sensor on the other (!) cylinder bank solved the problem.
    The multiple misfire problem (error code P030X and on each cylinder 5-8 errors P0305-8) on cylinder bank 2, was solved by replacement of the O2 sensor on bank 1.
    Apparently some kind of master - slave configuration, and all according to the authorized Ferrari workshop in Stockholm Sweden.

18. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    5 years old at time of post... Less then 2000 miles.. Why so little mileage??? These cars are made to run!

19. F430_Mikli

F430_Mikli Rookie

Jul 17, 2017
    Vancouver Canada
    This info was good help. I was cleaned the MAF and the oil out of the air box today. My next step is to switch out the O2 sensors.

BigBo$$ likes this.
  20. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    You can count on it, some nimrod just kept dumping oil in until it registered full with the car off. This happens a LOT with early Porsche dry sump engines that need oil checked warm/level surface/idleing.... did you check the oil level, curious where it is now as it still should be too full.

BigBo$$ likes this.
  21. BigBo$$

BigBo$$ Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gotti
    i did this and now crying to fix the issues i have caused :( Ferrari needs to put a sticker somewhere that says "WARNING!!!! do not fill oil if engine cold!"