F430 Battery replacement | FerrariChat

F430 Battery replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by cyw0rx, Mar 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cyw0rx

cyw0rx Rookie

Mar 28, 2010
    Cyprus
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Hello guys,

My F430 spider's original battery proved to be problematic and needs to be changed.
    To replace it with another original battery from ferrari dealer is quite expensive, so i decided to go for a cheaper aftermarket battery.

I have no idea for what battery to search.
    Has anyone installed any aftermarket battery on his car ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all.

2. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    Interstate MTP-91. You will have to modify the breather vent tube to fit. About $110.

3. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    I also agree with Interstate. Don't know which model is in my 430 but I had problems with the factory battery and the Interstate has been much more reliable. Good luck.

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I just went through the research on here and after reading it all this week got the Interstate 91 for $140 from the Ferrari Dealer (I had them come out and install the battery and a charger) so they only were a few bucks more than regular retail for the battery...

Nicholasspeece likes this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #5 tazandjan, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Louis- Make sure you do not install the MTP-91 without the vent tube. Another F430 owner did so and the fumes caused quite a bit of damage. The original FIAMM VR760 had a vent tube, as well. #16 in the Ricambi online parts catalog page below. Terribly expensive at $5.98

Great battery. I have one in my 575M and it has given sterling service for at least 3 years.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    #6 ELP_JC, Apr 1, 2011
    Check the damage below, and that might make you think twice. A wet cell battery doesn't belong inside the car, let alone behind a panel where you can't check it often. The Optima is much more powerful than both, and in-between in price. Not a fan, but they told me they're much better made again. We'll see, but the piece of mind it provided, to quote a commercial, is 'priceless'. And yes, I cut the vent tube (pushing it as far as it'd go, then pulling it, cutting it, capping it, and pushing it back again) and capped it with an automotive plug that looks factory (sorry, no pic).

Terry, the problem is the vent tube (mine had it, as you can see on pic #1) doesn't SEAL (it stays in place, but doesn't seal) the MTP-91, so it's useless in a leak. The battery vent is a totally different shape (round vs flat rectangle with half moons), so it leaks from the top and bottom. And if you try to 'seal' it with anything, the acid would eat it in a heartbeat.

The appropriate Optima battery is the 34R folks, and that's exactly what Ferrari started using in 2009, I believe. It fits perfectly, and the OEM bracket and rods also fit (barely) without modification. I wouldn't skimp on this folks, but it's your car. Just trying to avoid anyone else the experience I had. Again, it could have been a lot worse if I hadn't inspected the car right away, so at least I warned you :). It was a mess under the battery too, but fortunately my damage was limited to the tray only, which is replaceable. Well, and a bit of the carpeting, but thankfully it's behind the foot plate, completely out of view.

Oh, and now that you'll be in there, it's a good time to install a Battery Tender Plus pigtail to make it easier to charge your battery. I installed mine by the right side 'hood' hinge, as pictured; no need to open anything, and much cleaner than under the car. Have a great weekend gang.

7. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I'm very happy with the Odyssey I put in my 430 last year, no vent issues and it is half the weight of the OE battery. Installation was an easy DIY, search the forums for details.

http://odysseybatteries.com/

Gary

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #8 Need4Spd, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
    Did you attach the vent tube to your Optima? The Optima people told me that there is a vent on the Optima that should be hooked up, in order to have a path for gasses to vent outside the car. It's a safety precaution to avoid build-up of explosive gasses, not to vent liquid. They won't say this but I think the chances of a problem even if you don't hook it up are rare. I was all set to get an Optima until I read this thread. Now I'm not so sure. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286421&highlight=optima If you go to Interstate, I read elsewhere that the one you want is MTP-48H6A , the gell cell model. More searching reveals use of an Odyssey. It's an AGM, non-spill. http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500rt.htm

9. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    #9 ELP_JC, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
    There's no vent on the Optima to hook up; at least on the 34R. Having said that, it only makes sense that extreme temperatures might cause fumes, since there's moisture inside the cells, but with the battery inside the car, it's an absolute non-issue man. Besides, our main worry should be acid leaks, not fumes. The MTP-91 is venting everything inside the car since the vent tube doesn't seal. But again, I wouldn't worry about gases with battery inside the car where temperatures are way lower than inside the engine compartment, but a leak is a real threat, especially in pothole infested cities and such, where electrolyte splashes all over the place inside.

Remember there're no perfect solutions; just some better than others :). And I believe this is a clear case of that, but to each his own. Take care.

10. m3mike

m3mike Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Someone educate me about a lithium battery. I know they are expensive but the low weight really interests me.

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks and I totally agree on no wet cell, and I do think the Optima guy was just CYA on venting. The gel/AGM Interstate and Odyssey I mentioned are both non-splashy. Good luck with the Optima and do check in now and then as to how that's working out. Good to get more data points.

12. mjz

mjz Karting

Aug 3, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I read this thread to see what battery I should replace the OEM one.

I bought the 34R Optima and it does not fit. The securing bracket no longer reaches - the battery is too tall. It does not just 'barely' fit at all - no way to get the nut onto the screw posts. Since I race the car, the battery has to be secure and not move around.

Any suggestions on an alternate battery or a clever work around?

Thanks

13. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    My Scuderia (which is a F430 anyway) came bone stock with an Optima 34R. I have replaced it with one of those Lithium ultra-light batteries.

The 34R fits, post pictures of your mounting plate (the stock one), there might be a difference with the newer F430.

14. mjz

mjz Karting

Aug 3, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures and returned the battery to the store.
    The hold down pins are too short - no way to screw the nut back on. As it turns out the battery is about 1 inch taller than the OEM FIAMM battery.

If I could get a longer pin with thread at the top that would do the trick - or an AGM battery that is about an inch shorter in height.

15. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    You can always stop by home depot and get a stud extension, you can also try to flip the pins, bend the corners of the hold down bracket, alter the back of the stock tray to gain 1/4" deeper reach, etc.

The stock F430 battery and any replacement lead-acid battery are prone to leaks, especially if you track the car due to the high g forces. The Optima was chosen for a good reason, it is still a lead-acid, but it's gel based so less prone to leaks, it still has venting holes but just for fumes rather than liquid.

16. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    It barely fits, but if you don't want to fiddle with it, just buy longer rods at Autozone (or others) for $10. The 34R is slightly taller than stock indeed, but narrower too. You need to push it all the way back, not use washers, and be patient to engage the last nut :D. I tightened the nuts until rod edge was almost flush to the top of the nuts, meaning all threads were used. And also make sure to position the bracket properly, especially if you track the car. If you put it backwards, it could slip down, and leave the battery unsecured. When playing with it, it becomes obvious which is the right orientation. Good luck.

17. mjz

mjz Karting

Aug 3, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's an idea - trading out the OEM battery tray studs for longer ones - or shorter ones with extender to get the right length. That should work.

The stud extender for the current length created a different problem - too loose. (shorter studs should work also with an extender)

18. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    One of the reasons I went with the Lithium battery in my Scuderia is the g-forces my car is generating at some turns.

At Cal Speedway, PBIR and Sebring I'm getting left loads of 1.8g and right loads of 1.8g except Cal Speedway. At 1.8g, a 40 lbs battery is applying 72 lbs of lateral force, and I can't see how the stock tray, retaining pins and bracket can handle 72 lbs.

This is a lesson I learned with previous cars, where the stock battery hold-down couldn't handle track use.

My current battery weighs just 9 lbs, or 16 lbs at 1.8g, not much at all, and less stressful on the stock tray than the stock battery at 0.5g.

19. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

What model of light weight lithium battery did you use? One of these is on my shopping list for my Scuderia project. The battery is one of the last things I need to track down.

20. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    #20 Jeff Pintler, Jun 25, 2011
    There is a big plastic piece on the interstate battery that interfears with the factory bracket. Another option for for installing a battery is taking off the "L" bracket and two "J" hooks and making use of the tabs molded into the battery case. There is a L shapped tang on the forward edge of the battery tray. You have to slightly re-arrange the positive cables but no cutting of wires. Once tha battery is slid forward to engage the tray, then make these brackets and spacers. The spacers are needed so the load path is metal instead of compressed carpet. This is a shot of the 360 tray. Note that there is plenty of clearance between the battery posts and the black panel support bracket. And also note there is very good access to jumper cable terminals for the car behind the panel behind the driver's seat for an emergency. Trickle charger or battery removal for charging is safest. FWIW.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just thought I would let those folks who still want to use the MTP-91 from Interstate know that there is a vent kit from Interstate that fits the battery perfectly and will eliminate the problems noted earlier. The kit is normally thrown in with battery purchase or is at most about $5 (#7003051). The Ferrari vent hose does not fit the MTP-91 and its use can lead to leaks, as noted. Hundreds of Ferrari owners have used the MTP-91 with no problems. Mine has been in for three years, has not been on a maintainer for over two years, and still works like it was brand new. It is an 85 month truck battery, so pretty tough.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

22. jusaur

jusaur Rookie

Jul 2, 2011
    I just install one optima 34r in my f430 2006. It's very simple. The optima it is about less than 1/2 inch taller than the oem. You can get 2 mm more of lenght just by unbending the hook of the security bracket with pliers. The will fit easy.

23. arenared

arenared Karting

Dec 22, 2005
    Silicon Valley
    Do you have any links or price info on that battery?

What kind of "standby" time do you get before you need to trickle charge?

I assume it's reasonably compatible with the stock charging system and aftermarket chargers.

I have run into leaking batteries in my Porsche and have switched to a small AGM battery for weight loss as well as no corrosive leaking.

24. mjz

mjz Karting

Aug 3, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Anyone put an Odyssey battery in their F430? (34R-PC1500T)

Does it fit? Any issues?

Thanks

(I still need a battery!!)

25. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Havent really paid any attention to the battery gullying thread started. Last weekend I had to replace mine as she couldn't fire up after three weeks of storage. Realized the battery wasn't a FIAMM, but a Varta. Rang my mechanic and he replaced it on site with another Varta 75amp battery. Sits perfectly in the compartment. Compartment is clean ad ever, no signs of leaks or corrosion.

Should I be concerned it's a Varta?