F430 Angel Parking Lights DIY | FerrariChat

F430 Angel Parking Lights DIY

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Apr 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #1 Trent, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a DIY guide for replacing the front H6W incandescent bulbs with an LED strip. This has been covered quite nicely in another thread [A1] but after reading the entire thread it was not clear exactly what to buy and it was an hour read to get through the progression of the DIY. So view this as a success story shortcut based on the previous art from lilliprins and SfefVan's efforts.

Time: 3Hrs, including ordering LEDs and going to Starbucks
    Cost: $43 + Shipping
    Skill Level: 5 [1-10] *as long as you can solder
    Satisfaction Level: 9 [1-10]

Previous Art:
    [A1] http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302311&highlight=430+angel

Tools:
    8mm ratchet
    Soldering Iron (solver solder saves brain cells)
    Opposed thumbs

Parts:
    Retailer: http://www.ledlightsworld.com/
    3 x SMD 5050 Flexible LED Strips 18 LEDs (HK-F5050X30N-12-X) = $40.02
    Color Pure White
    Waterproof Type Waterproof-Silicon Tube (IP67)
    Background White Background

Retailer: Any auto parts store
    2 x H6W Bulbs ~ $3

1. Break out H6W glass and desolder filament pin from center post at rear of bulb
    2. Solder short red wire into center bulb post
    3. Solder short black wire to bulb chassis
    4. Cut 5050 LED strip to 40mm
    5. Cut 5050 rectangular plastic cover to 30mm
    6. Solder red wire to 5050 pin marked "+"
    7. Solder black ground wire to 5050 strip pins marked R, G , B (see images)
    8. Turn 430 wheels to gain access to service panel (It was recommended in A1 to remove tire and part of the wheel well, would make it easier I agree, but I did not have to do anything other than rotate the wheel)
    9. Remove service panel
    10. Remove parking light cover, which is a rubber cap (this is all covered quite nicely in A1)
    11. Remove original H6W bulb
    12. Insert H6W-5050 module, replacing original H6W Bulb, letting 5050 strip hang down
    13. -- drink break --
    14. Test strip by turning on your parking lights
    15. Slowly feed 5050 strip into hole where original H6W was inserted. Work it in slowly pushing in 2cm, then pulling out 1 cm, until you have it fully inserted. Some recommend doing this with the LEDs on so you can see it bunching up, etc, just a fuse blow risk if you short the pins at the end
    16. Test to make sure all of the LEDs are facing up and not bunched. This may take 2-3 tries to get it right on your first one.
    17. Reassembling is the opposite of disassembly

Notes:
    A. I will keep all raw images in a public Album under my profile [this might work http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/album.php?albumid=641]
    B. If you cant solder, then you might have to come up with a different electrical strategy or hire a shop
    C. Most garages look like the hood in images, I just dont understand why.

Trent
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

dr2008 likes this.
  2. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    You've made it all so much easier to follow wi all pix in one. Thanks mate. I age, it's such a simple yet rewarding mod.

3. Aaronholmes220

Aaronholmes220 Karting

Dec 12, 2009
    County Durham UK
    Full Name:
    Aaron Holmes
    Awesome, will be getting this done as soon as I return to UK soil at the end of the week.

Muchos...thanks and stuff...

Excellent condensed version of an already top thread.

4. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Unit correction: Steps 4 and 5 : I indicated mm instead of cm
    4. Cut 5050 LED strip to 40cm
    5. Cut 5050 rectangular plastic cover to 30cm. The 10cm of exposed 5050 strip at the unwired end is needed to allow the strip to be inserted all of the way into the 430 headlamp. If both the 5050 LED strip and Plastic IP67 housing were 40cm then the last 10cm would not be insertable in the headlamp assembly. Please take a close look at the first image with the measuring tape and entire 5050 LED assembly, you can see that the IP67 tube does not cover the last 10cm of the 5050 LED strip. I also rounded the front of the strip to help the insertion process.

Trent

5. bryonj

bryonj Karting

Jan 20, 2010
    Naples, FL.
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well done!! To bad you don't live in Cincinnati. My spring project is to finish hooking up 3 feet LED strips under 3 waterfalls n my pool. There is some cool LED stuff ut there and its not to complicated to work it in. Mine even has a remote to change colors. Hhmmm, maybe I can install that setup on my 430! I'm kidding. Thanks for the cleanup.

6. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for putting this together! Awesome info!

7. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Woke up at 4am is morning with nothing else better to do than this mod. Completed it but the best I could achieve was a remaining 2cm which the led strip could not be inserted any further. And the LEDs were not all facing up. It was really hard to get them facing up together, it seems at the last 10cam the tube starts to twist around. Just can't seem to get it running straight. Scarped my knuckles and fingers but very happy with the results.

8. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    For your two issues I have some suggestions.

1. For the flexing you can add something to the back of the LED strip to make it more rigid. I used some black 3M electrical tape on the last few inches, cut thinner than the LED Strip as not to cause insertion issues by increasing width, but to keep the strip straight. If that had not worked, or for next time I would use a metallic silver tape [Shurtape 2" x 50 yd. Metal Repair Tape] as used for attic duct connections (not duct tape). Its self adhesive, very strong, and very thin. It will keep the strip from folding and bending on insertion. You only need to put it on the parts of the strip that tend to flex, but as long as it is cut a mm or so thinner than the LED Strip you could do the entire length of the strip.

2. If you are having issues inserting the last few cm fixing [1.] will help a lot. The other thing you can do is round the end of the LED Strip by cutting off the corners. It wont affect the LEDs as long as you stay a mm or so away from them.

If you do pull them out again to try anything, take a digital image of the strip, with a ruler beside it. It might help diagnose and provide other DIYers some more assistance.

9. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Had both sides hooked up early yesterday morning, in the evening when i fired up the 430, I noticed one side was off. Found out that the 12v pin on the led strip peeled off. Yes, it completely came off. Further investigation revealed a blown fuse so I replaced the 5amp fuse. Had to redo that strip, more bruised knuckles.

10. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    I stripped the rubber insulation off almost 20cam of the entire length. Wriggling it down the channel seemed to help get the strip down to the very end. Happy with the results.

11. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    #11 F430addict, Apr 25, 2011
    Just wanted to share a shot of the LED update on my 430. Completed the project 3 weeks ago, now waiting for a buddy to return to perform the same op on his 430. Should be able to get it done under 30 minutes, provided I have the LEDs all wired up and ready for installation beforehand. LOL. Sore and bruised knuckles, but thoroughly enjoyable. At one point I was so adament to get the LEDs fitted, I was literally under the rain trying to slide the strip all the way to the end.

12. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Did this last night, a few pointers:

1. When you break the glass, wrap it in something, it really pops and throws glass everywhere.

2. Buy four feet of LEDs, it gives you a spare 16 inch strip if you screw up or have a dead section.

3. Don't trust the factory solder joint on the one end, it looks clean but is weak and will release when you twist the bulb base into the socket.

4. Make sure you remove the silicon ends and residual silicone on the clear rubber waterproof jacket or it will get stuck in the light housing when you insert it or try to pull it out.

5. If removing the LEDs from the car, make sure the clear rubber jacket comes out too! Twist the LED strip to catch the jacket if you are in trouble.

6. Buy extra 5 amp fuses because you will be tempted to adjust the LEDs with the power on at some point and you will blow the fuses several times.

7. It would be a good idea to buy a H6W socket and attach it to a 12V power supply to bench test and turn on the LEDs while inserting them into the car. Bench test the strip BEFORE you round off the leading end, that way you can turn it around and re-solder if you have a cold joint or continuity problem.

8.A headband magnifier with a light makes the micro-soldering easier.

9. Consider the orientation of the bulb base in the socket when you solder it to the LED strip. If you do it right the LEDs will face upward when the socket is locked in and you won't have to twist and pull/push them to make it look good. I got the first 14 LEDs on both sides of the car to shine upward and outward so the car looks balanced. If they are upside-down it really reduces the intensity.

10. I left the wheels on. Get a bright light and fix it to the top of the tire.

It is a fun, frustrating and rewarding upgrade. You will curse a lot but it will be worth it in the end.

13. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    My sentiments exactly! Lol.

14. UH-Matt

UH-Matt Karting

Mar 31, 2011
  15. ryanhl

ryanhl Rookie

Aug 1, 2012
    South Shields, UK
    Full Name:
    Ryan Hansen
  16. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Post pics when you are done please.

Any issue sliding the 5050s in the light tube on the F430?

It is true that during the day my angel eyes are not very visible, but at night they are fantastic. I think that if they are much brighter they may look strange at night, dont know.

Heat? The 5050s get hot, I am curious to know if the heat is enough to damage the plastic headlight? Maybe you can hit them with a IR thermometer or k-thermocouple?

Lastly if they work, I see you likely bought 5 meters (based on the link), maybe I can buy a meter from you to convert to the 5050s.

Keep us posted!

17. Rpalomo

Rpalomo Rookie

Oct 8, 2012
    CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Palomo
    I am planning on doing this mod this week, any issues with heat from the LED?

18. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Awesome! Sure wish I could do this mod on my 360!

19. Rpalomo

Rpalomo Rookie

Oct 8, 2012
    CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Palomo
    How about using a h6w LED bulb? anyone ever try that? seems like an easier way to get the light to light up in white brightly

20. johncasale

johncasale Karting

May 18, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like a simple idea - have you tried this yet?

21. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    And it appears that a 7-year-old has been able to register on Fchat.

psych0hans likes this.
  22. Rpalomo

Rpalomo Rookie

Oct 8, 2012
    CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Palomo
    im going to try it this sat- ill take a pic and see what happens

23. Emerd

Emerd Rookie

Nov 3, 2012
    Lights looks nice. What about shipping charges?

24. johncasale

johncasale Karting

May 18, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Great - I'm anxious to see how it turns out!

25. Rpalomo

Rpalomo Rookie

Oct 8, 2012
    CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Palomo
    #25 Rpalomo, Nov 3, 2012